DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

He's been running one promotion, while also being Director of Football at Fulham, and on the management board at the Jacksonville Jaguars, and running a separate sports analysis company as well. I think he's one of those guys who don't sleep.

Great. That always turns out well among wrestling promoters. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Look, here's the deal with Khan. For 85% of actual bookers in history, going back to Eddie Graham and Gary Hart and whoever else you want to bring up, to guys like Kevin Sullivan, to Russo/Ferrera, etc., it was a job. Khan's like us. Even if he didn't own a wrestling company, he'd probably spend some chunk of his time fantasy booking in his head, even if he was trying to work out who the Black Scorpion should have been, just because it's fun and he's so tuned into it. He might not be posting about it on a board or whatever, but he'd do it. Even if it's work, it's work he'd rather be doing than just about anything else and he's got endless combinations to play with. And if he wants a new piece that normally wouldn't be possible, he just tosses some money at it. I wouldn't worry too much about the guy booking. Vince wants to work out all night. Khan wants to book.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Khan's like us. Even if he didn't own a wrestling company, he'd probably spend some chunk of his time fantasy booking in his head, 

Don't put that evil on me

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

We're billionaires treating real sports teams and wrestling promotions like our own personal video games?

I'd dump garbage blocks onto people if I could. If only I could...

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

We're billionaires treating real sports teams and wrestling promotions like our own personal video games?

Well, except for those things.

I did go to the same college as TK, so I'm sorta more like him.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

Looks like HonorClub is an option for Supercard, so $9.99 vs $29.99 on FITE/PPV. 

Nice heads up there!  

Is there any word on how ticket sales are moving for this?   

Tony Khan on twutter...

I promise to work hard to make ROH Supercard a great ppv + a show to carry on the incredible 20 year legacy of @ringofhonor. I’ll continue to make announcements on the card; I might even have a trick up my sleeve (which I wouldn’t announce).

I have a sneaky suspicion Joe the Samoan Warrior finds his way to Dallas.  

On 3/22/2022 at 6:22 PM, Chaos said:

Looks like HonorClub is an option for Supercard, so $9.99 vs $29.99 on FITE/PPV. 

The officially sent out a press release saying it would be aired on Honor Club

There is also a one one preshow on Youtube

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Is this thread moving to the AEW board or staying here?

On 3/9/2022 at 5:43 PM, RIPPA said:

Who knows?

It all will depend on what he is doing with it

Still will be a chance we wont need a ROH thread at all

I'm interested to see who they match up with Deonna Purrazzo?  Assuming they pencil her in.  Not sure she's quite ready to achor a division, but I wouldn't be opposed to Marina Shafir scoring a decisive win and leading the charge.  Tho, in a perfect world they'd slide Deonna out of that Impact contract and over to the top guys.  Out.

In terms of board structure - nothing is gonna change till after Supercard.

Most likely - ROH will end up a subfolder in the AEW folder (like Impact has its own subfolder here) but I am not bothering until it is more clear what the direction is post April 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate Gabe Sapolsky a lot more this morning... 

Re: his awful ROH commentary (no diss to the quality work of @Gorman)

Since I see classic Ring Of Honor is getting more attention I want to take a moment and apologize for my “in character” commentary. I’ll start by saying I fired myself from commentary as soon as we found a suitable replacement.

It was another era back then. It might be hard to believe but it was hard to find decent commentators who would work the hours we did. We used to do commentary on 2 shows staying up all night on a weeknight in Tampa, FL. Budget was also a concern & I wanted to save Cary $

At the time, ROH was just a growing indie. It’s not like people were clamoring to stay up till 5am to do voiceovers in a living room in Tampa. We went through various commentators and eventually I didn’t cost any extra money as I was there anyway to edit/produce.

I also knew the storylines, directions & characters. Thankfully, we eventually found Lenny Leonard, who lived in the area, and Dave Prazak. We booked Prazak in FIP and combined the expenses to fly him in. They were a great team & still are. They gave us stability.

My commentary skills ranged from bad to embarrassing to deplorable. There were times I tried to do a Howard Stern influenced character (big in the early 2000s) & had an ECW influence. I apologize for anyone having to hear it now.

As you can see from years of EVOLVE, my values and standards changed to being much more family friendly without trying to be “edgy” in a 90s style.

Can someone please ask Tony Khan to see if he can edit out my commentary or at least the worst parts of it. I’m not sure if that’s possible. Maybe he has the original master tapes. I don’t know. I hope my commentary doesn’t ruin people’s enjoyment of classic ROH. Thank you

For the record, I don’t know Tony Khan and have never talked to him. However, I know a lot of people who do know him so feel free to pass on the message ?

Owned it!  We all make mistakes.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I really appreciate Gabe Sapolsky a lot more this morning... 

Re: his awful ROH commentary (no diss to the quality work of @Gorman)

Owned it!  We all make mistakes.

Thanks! Fortunately, Gabe and I managed to do the commentary without having to stay up all night. That's good because I drove eight hours to Philly before taping the shows. This was before they moved the taping sessions to Florida. I didn't know he was doing a character - I just knew he was the booker, so I wanted to make sure he got in all of his storyline points. I responded on Twitter to make sure Coach Tony keeps the commentary for our shows intact.  

• Like 2

As bad as Gabe's commentary was, it just wouldn't be prime ROH without that bad commentary, IMO.  

The smartest move he ever made on commentary was deciding to have no commentary on the Joe/Kobashi match.

• Like 1

I'd be down for multi option on/off commentary, but not just for early ROH.  Pretty much any commentary of at least the past 20 years.  Would be a dream come true for 4 hour plus AEW shows.  

Also, I think Gabe is on to something... 

Can someone please ask Tony Khan to see if he can edit out my commentary or at least the worst parts of it. I’m not sure if that’s possible. Maybe he has the original master tapes. I don’t know. I hope my commentary doesn’t ruin people’s enjoyment of classic ROH. Thank you

I think that'd be suffice.  Just a little more breathing room.