DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

I’m just going over the official ROHwrestling.com roster here with a few thoughts on who I’d like to see in this new Elite version of the promotion. 

I wasn’t watching the product regularly before it folded, so there are a number of names that I know next to nothing of… 

Adam Brooks, Amy Rose, Angelina Love, Dak Draper, Dutch, Eli Isom, Jenny Rose, Joe Hendry, Kellyanne, LSG, Mandy Leon, Maria Manic, Max the Impaler, Miranda Alize, Moses, Session Moth Martina, Slex, Sumie Sakai, Trish Adora and Will Ferrara.

This listed roster also includes some names that have signed or landed elsewhere:

Vincent, PCO, Kenny King, Kanellis, Taven, and Bennett.  PCO would be a welcome addition to any roster, but the other names all feel like they could use the refresh that moving on to Impact sorta provides.  In particular, I think Taven is a bit better suited for the more sports entertainment feel of Impact.  

EC3 has his start-up and never seemed, from a distance, like a great fit for ROH.  Somebody that saw more of his run might have some more thoughts on that. 

I’d like to think Rhett Titus is an NWA guy now.  He’s not somebody I’ve spent much time watching, but of the things I’ve seen I haven’t really been impressed.  He also seems high on the list of guys who fans were never too keen on.   

Of the guys listed that I do know…  

The Briscoes, Bandido, Rush, Dragon Lee, Jay Lethal, Josh Woods and Jonathan Gresham are all terrific performers that could help transition this new version from the old one.  Especially if continuity is important, which I’m sure it will be (to an extent).  I know he’s likely to get lost in the mix, but I think I prefer Lethal working AEW.  He seemed very stale in ROH.  I also think he’s kinda best in that mid-card gatekeeper role.  Always there for a quality outing with somebody working their way up the card.  That said, he’s certainly a name that adds to the historical continuity,.    

The Limbo’d set:

PJ Black - underrated and a solid mechanic. 

Tracy Williams – solid, needs a bit of a refresh 

Kaun - sold on this cat being a project worth pushing to the top of the card.

Bateman – don’t know much about this guy, but I like what I’ve seen in NJPW Strong.  Curious what others think on him? 

Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas – I like both these guys and think they’d fit in nicely in the Wingmen or Bear Country level roles.   

Brian Johnson – I like what I’ve seen of this brash young heel.  Anybody that could school me on his best work would be much appreciated.   

Dalton Castle – I was definitely a fan, but curious if his health is good enough to continue?  If it is he’ll be a welcome addition. 

Flamita and Rey Horus – I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen, but know very little of either. 

Shane Taylor – Taylor’s tight singlet is a horrible look for him and has regrettably made him a bit difficult for me to take seriously.  That said, he’s very good in ring.  And capable, if a bit cliched, on the mic – some better direction might prove him even more capable on the mic.  Also, a loose fitting athletic pant would do wonders for this guy’s presentation.   

Cheeseburger – I love the potential of a guy like Cheeseburger as a feisty underneath straight up job guy.    

Flip Gordon – I don’t really know much about Flip either.  Seems like his connection to the Elite will help him secure a job.  What’s a good Flip Gordon match to check out? 

Mark Haskins – I only saw this guy work a few times.  He looked solid in ring, but his presentation like partner Williams could certainly use to improve. 

Silas Young – I’m a fan.  I’d like to think he’d continue to fit in nicely in the lower to mid card as a gatekeeper.     

Edited by HarryArchieGus

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Shane Taylor – Taylor’s tight singlet is a horrible look for him and has regrettably made him a bit difficult for me to take seriously.  That said, he’s very good in ring.  And capable, if a bit cliched, on the mic – some better direction might prove him even more capable on the mic.  Also, a loose fitting athletic pant would do wonders for this guy’s presentation.   

Shane Taylor vs. Keith Lee is a feud I need to see.

Edited by mystman

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

With the Khan man taking over, will these ROH threads be finding their way to some sort of sub-thread in AEW branch I wonder?  

Who knows?

It all will depend on what he is doing with it

Still will be a chance we wont need a ROH thread at all

On 3/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

As in it won’t end up being a new active ‘brand’?  Whaddaya know over there?

Well TK's quote after announcing the purchase was

"What we're going to do going forward? I think it assumes that we're going to do something going forward. And yeah, I do still want to continue the operations going forward, and I am very excited about it and do have a lot of plans for it. I do expect to continue the wrestling operations," Khan said. 

So that does come with a certain amount of hedging

He has be more bullish since so I think ROH as a brand will continue at least for the short term.

But the only thing certain right now is that the 4/1 show is still happening but with TK as booker

Side note - per the new WON, all future creative plans for ROH have been scrapped and they are starting over. HOWEVER, they won't be starting from scratch as Dave specifically said they aren't looking to eliminate championships or "kill" prior storylines

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But the only thing certain right now is that the 4/1 show is still happening but with TK as booker

Side note - per the new WON, all future creative plans for ROH have been scrapped and they are starting over. HOWEVER, they won't be starting from scratch as Dave specifically said they aren't looking to eliminate championships or "kill" prior storylines

Does this indicate the CYN crew are back for 4/1?  Hoping more towards (and expecting more towards) Bandido v Gresham to unify the titles.  I also assume that first show sees the first bout between FTR and the Briscoes.  This sounds good for Rhett Titus getting at least one more payday with his TV title.  But to counterbalance the less savoury ideas like that we're also likely to get the excellent ROH Women's Champion Deonna Purrazzo.  Which is 'in ring' a stronger anchor, for at least one show, than AEW's women's division.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

So interested to see how this 2022 Supercard comes together.  I really hope that Warnermedia Exec blocking the signing of the Briscoes doesn't play a part in them working ROH.  I also hope this show isn't just filled with AEW stars.  Is there any word on ticket sales for this event?  Seems like people might be sleeping on this potentially great debut.  It's also interesting that AEW hasn't (maybe they can't yet) tried to promote it on their nationwide TV.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Tony Khan said today that Supercard of Honor will still take place at the same date and time despite it going opposite Rampage

"It wouldn't have been my first choice for the scheduling, necessarily. In two weeks, it will be a crowded Friday of wrestling. I had not scheduled this pay-per-view, Ring of Honor Supercard, but I really think it's important for me, because they sold tickets and made a commitment to the fans, to still do the show. I see it as a transitional show in many ways and I'm really excited about. It's the first show under new management and a transition show for..

---------------

"It's a unique circumstance because there is other stuff on TV that night, including AEW Rampage. It's going to be unusual because I'm effectively in two places at once. It's going to be a bizarre and hopefully memorable night in wrestling. I would never compete with my own show. It's going to be a very different night because we're making a one time only exception. I'm grateful to the great partnership we have with WarnerMedia. They've been cool and were open to me doing this, understanding it's a great opportunity for AEW and potentially WarnerMedia in the future too, I hope, with the possibilities of the Ring of Honor streaming library with historic content and with future content. That I was able to get their permission to do this show, even though Ring of Honor, prior management, scheduled it to opposed Rampage. I am going to announce more for the card. I'll make it the best card I can for Ring of Honor while still respecting AEW and our agreements with WarnerMedia," 

Regarding the TV show

I will relaunch what I hope to be a really great new Ring of Honor television product, a weekly series, wherever it does air or stream. This is a great opportunity to put our own stamp on it but also pay respect to the great Ring of Honor traditions and history with some of the top stars from recent Ring of Honor and great wrestlers who have been in Ring of Honor historically. Am I going to be able to take everyone from AEW and bring them there? No, but I think there is a cool way to use some of the great wrestlers in AEW who will be available and make this a great show," 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Do we know if Honorclub will work to watch Supercard, or is it just going to be PPV through stuff like FITE?

If I had to guess - it is gonna be a PPV via someone since TK keeps saying he can't comment on what is going on with Honor Club (whether it will continue, etc...)

On 3/18/2022 at 4:10 PM, Raziel said:

Tony is going to burn himself the fuck out trying to run 2 promotions himself.

Certainly a possibility.  I would suggest that TK's unusual energy level will contend with potential burnout a lot better than is being assumed.  But more so his ability to collaborate.  The team he's constructed behind the curtain is as impressive as the one in front of the camera.  I think TK understands that Bill Watts' genius was having guys like Dundee, Ladd, etc. around and letting them do their job. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

On 3/19/2022 at 3:52 AM, Hail Sabin said:

This week's ROH TV is Jonathan Gresham's title defense Highlights against AJ Gray, Adam Priest, Chris Sabin, 2 Cold Scorpio & Josh Alexander . 

That finish to the Sabin match was fun.

EDIT:  Oh man, Josh Alexander should invade ROH.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Tony doesn't want his two separate promotions airing head to head on the same night. Also seems likely only one weekly ROH show, unlike AEW's multiple shows.

The weekend is wide open.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, Raziel said:

Tony is going to burn himself the fuck out trying to run 2 promotions himself.

He's been running one promotion, while also being Director of Football at Fulham, and on the management board at the Jacksonville Jaguars, and running a separate sports analysis company as well. I think he's one of those guys who don't sleep.

• Like 1