DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2022... in AEW

Peck

There's a few questions I have over all of this; Are they gonna stay on Sinclair Stations? Who of the roster are they gonna keep? Who on the AEW roster are they gonna bring over if any? Are they still gonna run past Supercard of Honor? What is SCH gonna look like? Whats the touring schedule gonna be like? Whose gonna book it? Whose gonna run it?

I see value in running ROH as an NXT type for AEW. If I was Tony I'd see if William Regal would want to run ROH he knows talent he knows wrestling he knows how to format a show. IDK who I'd have book it but it wouldn't be Delirious I'll tell you that.

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I see value in running ROH as an NXT type for AEW. If I was Tony I'd see if William Regal would want to run ROH he knows talent he knows wrestling he knows how to format a show. IDK who I'd have book it but it wouldn't be Delirious I'll tell you that.

My best friend thinks that it's gonna be Cody Rhodes running it, in basically the ultimate Brian Pillman esque 'work everybody' swerve. Cody legit leaves and takes a meeting with Vince, or Nick Khan, leading to the Miz teasing him being his partner. Then, it turns out that Cody is actually the guy in charge over at ROH.

It also occurred to me that TK can sell All Out (or maybe All In now) as AEW Champ vs ROH Champ. And Cody can win the ROH Title to loophole his way into the match, and claim he's not going back on his word because he's not challenging for the AEW Title, he's defending the ROH Title.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

It also occurred to me that TK can sell All Out (or maybe All In now) as AEW Champ vs ROH Champ. And Cody can win the ROH Title to loophole his way into the match, and claim he's not going back on his word because he's not challenging for the AEW Title, he's defending the ROH Title.

I love this idea. Think of the heat. Super babyface World Champion (in ROH) invades and nullifies his word and becomes super heel AEW World Champion via that loophole. That's almost an ECW One Night Stand if Cena had won scenario, with the added caveat of a Hogan heel turn / breaking your word and being a lying scumbag. I would love to see this idea.

Interesting looking over the Dark spoilers and seeing former ROH talent and guys/gals I imagine find jobs in this new ROH. 

Spoiler

Josh Woods gets the win and a post match Schiavone interview!  

I'm really hoping the Invictus Khash/Ariya Davari team gets in on the new launch.  Khash feels like a total throwback with excellent in ring movement.  I'd also love to see Marcus Cross get in on this.  Rohit Raju seems like a perfect low to mid card heel for young talent to work.  Kaun seems like a no-brainer, and I have little doubt that they'll find a way to move him up the card.  Curious whether 'projects' like Anthony Ogogo, Comoroto, Jora Johl or Preston Vance move over, or if they stay put and work their way up on the 'main roster'.  I am kinda hoping a lot of the AEW roster stays put and the ROH roster is mostly guys not yet signed. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Interesting looking over the Dark spoilers and seeing former ROH talent and guys/gals I imagine find jobs in this new ROH. 

Reveal hidden contents

Josh Woods gets the win and a post match Schiavone interview!  

I'm really hoping the Invictus Khash/Ariya Davari team gets in on the new launch.  Khash feels like a total throwback with excellent in ring movement.  I'd also love to see Marcus Cross get in on this.  Rohit Raju seems like a perfect low to mid card heel for young talent to work.  Kaun seems like a no-brainer, and I have little doubt that they'll find a way to move him up the card.  Curious whether 'projects' like Anthony Ogogo, Comoroto, Jora Johl or Preston Vance move over, or if they stay put and work their way up on the 'main roster'.  I am kinda hoping a lot of the AEW roster stays put and the ROH roster is mostly guys not yet signed. 

I'm thinking along the same lines. ROH can be where some of the roster members who need more seasoning, or those who are just lost in the shuffle right now, can go get some more experience with some new opponents, or just get a fresh start.

• Like 2

Based on the press scrum last night - it appears TK wants to run ROH as a separate promotion (where he would remain head booker) and it would serve as a development/feeder system for AEW

But basically he can't/say do anything until the sale is final and who knows how long that will take.

• Like 2

That's a mistake.

Burn out is real. Plus AEW will suffer because of it. Whatever good ideas and stories he comes up with will now be split between two companies, instead of AEW getting all of them. Just don't see the benefit to spreading himself this thin. AEW is your baby. Keep that the number one priority. Give one of the talented behind the scenes people a promotion. Shit man everyone's talking about Cody booking it, give Dustin a shot. ROH is no frills pure wrestling at it's core. See if Dustin has that Dusty booking gene. Anything is better than TK being Florida Vince and letting this be his XFL.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Based on the press scrum last night - it appears TK wants to run ROH as a separate promotion (where he would remain head booker) and it would serve as a development/feeder system for AEW

But basically he can't/say do anything until the sale is final and who knows how long that will take.

Tony Khan is a machine.  Part of the beauty of his simple smart booking/direction is collaboration.  And the necessary trust that comes with it.  Certainly there's still a lot of work involved with matching ppl up and making the ultimate decisions, but he isn't burning himself out writing/creating stories for everyone.  Instead he's working alongside top notch wrestling minds and workers figuring out where things ought to go.  Still here's hoping he can maintain the necessary energy and passion.  Whilst also being a tremendous audience observer.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I've read what Tony Khan wants to do with the new ROH. Aligning it with AEW in the sense of not throwing out what the workers do. He plans to hire young wrestlers and not just young wrestlers who can work for ROH. No massive changes to ROH's presentation and he will respect ROH's legacy. He also won't change up ROH much.

Also go beyond catering to hardcore indy fans online, because the goal is to have more people get into ROH. 

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

Maybe TK can turn whatever analytics thing he does for the Jags to someone else so maybe the Jags can be good?

Sorry Coach Tony K, but your football team sucks. Your wrestling promotion though? Top notch.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

I've read what Tony Khan wants to do with the new ROH. Aligning it with AEW in the sense of not throwing out what the workers do. He plans to hire young wrestlers and not just young wrestlers who can work for ROH. No massive changes to ROH's presentation and he will respect ROH's legacy. He also won't change up ROH much.

Also go beyond catering to hardcore indy fans online, because the goal is to have more people get into ROH. 

Link?

Tony can always just delegate booking to someone else not named Delirious. In fact, don't even rehire Delirious. Tony can handle the business side of things while someone else with a mind for booking runs that part. Also, don't hire Gabe either.

The way Punk was so emotional over ROH being bought by Tony, I wouldn't be at all shocked if at some point Punk has a role in running ROH. It would be a beautiful way to bookend his career in wrestling. Other than that, I don't see why Dustin Rhodes or QT couldn't run the booking and agenting side of things.

We know Tony Khan will be the booker of ROH, but that doesn't mean he will be working with the same team as AEW. He brought up AEW team.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2022/3/7/22965348/tony-khan-ring-of-honor-plans-william-regal-aew-role

Tony Khan:

“We have a lot of great people in AEW and a lot of great minds. You saw Lord Regal is here, Ace Steel has been helping out, and has been a great coach. Sonjay Dutt has been helping. The coaching roster has gotten stronger and I’m never afraid to utilize active wrestlers like Bryan Danielson. I will be [the booker], but I will continue to work with people, soliciting ideas, keeping things organized and building two great rosters of wrestlers.“

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Don't those two statements conflict with one another? If you're going beyond catering to hardcore indy fans, that would mean changes to ROH's presentation. Pure wrestling sport is a lot of the backbone of the presentation. And if you want a larger audience tuning it you'd have to change that I would think.

There's a lot of how this is being handled that confuses me. Maybe it's just me inferring on the bits and pieces we've heard so far. But again to me the way to do it is being hands off. Give an overview to someone you trust and let them do their thing. TK directly managing and formatting all the wrestling and story lines across two companies, 300+ wrestlers, and what like 10+ hours of first run TV a week (counting the You Tube shows) doesn't sound like way too much for one person to anyone else?

I know a lot of people are saying collaboration and all that. And that's true it's not him writing scripts for dudes' promos. But it's also a lot more regimented than people are letting on. He isn't letting everyone go out there and have free reign to do whatever. He is personally approving or disapproving all the ideas the all of the talent have. He's the one picking who feuds with who. He's the one formatting this for TV every week. He's the one plotting out the pacing of all the stories. And which story beat goes on what show and when.

It's a lot of work. And doubling that workload sounds like a terrible idea to me.

• Like 1

William Regal and Don Callis are right there. Both have incredible wrestling knowledge and Callus has a business degree and has ran a wrestling company before Regal has very hands on with NXT behind the scenes so he knows how to run a farm league. Tony Khan should be hands off on this. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I fantasy booked more than one roster at a time when the WWE roster split occured. I booked multiple shows per week. It was fun. No one knew about it. 

Tony's rosters are way bigger than mine were so he's got a ton of shit to work with, and he's not alone. 

He's also an adult...

Didn't Tony say, after AEW existed but before Dynamite started, that he'd been (fantasy) booking a Wrestling show called Dynamite every week for almost two decades?

• Like 1

I imagine Tony booking Ring of Honor with little outside influence from veterans unlike AEW being that he plans on making it a younger roster in comparison. It might be easier for him to book. I image it being closer to the earlier Era  heavy workrate ROH so it should be easier to book in that direction.

It's funny WWE blowhards critiquing  TK purchasing Ring of Honor and WWEs product quality has negatively effected by having 2 brands for 20 years now. I definitely think there are positives of 2 brands and WWE has had some great periods on each brand over the years so I don't think it's impossible for TK to produce a good product out of Ring of Honor.