DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NFL PLAYOFFS: SUPER~ WILDCARD~ WEEKEND~!

Dolfan in NYC

Stupid fucking Raiders can't let us have any fun.  

The SCHEDULE!

Saturday:
LV-CIN: 4:30 EST, NBC
NE-BUF: 8:15 EST, CBS

Sunday:
PHI-TB: 1:00 EST, FOX
SF-DAL: 4:40 EST, CBS/Nickelodeon 
PIT-KC: 8:15 EST, NBC

Monday:
ARZ-LAR: 8:15 EST, ESPN/ABC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You all realize that the Nickelodeon game is also on CBS right?

As the Bears/Saints game was last year too, yeah. Although Jerry is approaching that age where I could totally see him unable to change the channel and fuming at that Bob Sponge guy making a mockery of his team.

• Haha 3

I'm not really in favor of a 14-team playoff, but I do like the idea of fewer byes.  And, since the League has three tv partners, six games on opening weekends makes a lot of sense.  I'm very surprised it took this long for someone to put up the cash for a Monday night wildcard game.

It's hard to argue that yesterday didn't benefit from the extra drama provided by an open seventh seed.  Hopefully some teams can parlay the luck for another weekend.  Steelers, in particular, need Roethlisberger to be the Ben of old instead of old Ben, though I dunno that his arm sees it that way.

Ravens missing the playoffs because their coach twice thought he was paid by the hour and didn't wanna work the extra ten minutes of OT is.... something.

25 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It's hard to argue that yesterday didn't benefit from the extra drama provided by an open seventh seed.  Hopefully some teams can parlay the luck for another weekend.  Steelers, in particular, need Roethlisberger to be the Ben of old instead of old Ben, though I dunno that his arm sees it that way.

I have no illusions.  Chiefs recently humiliated the Steelers and I expect Black / Yella to be one and out.  If we win, I will take it one game at a time.

Thank you, Jacksonville Jags.

25 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Ravens missing the playoffs because their coach twice thought he was paid by the hour and didn't wanna work the extra ten minutes of OT is.... something.

I don't have an issue with Harbaugh wanting to roll the dice and win within regulation.  I have an issue with his horrible play calls that don't get his team into the end zone for the two pointer and the win.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I stayed up late watching the Raiders/Chargers and I was briefly convinced that the Raiders were going to play for the tie before San Diego called that time out. I was rooting hard for a missed field goal. just because it would have been the wildest scenario for playoff qualification in a long time.

I think I'm going to root for the Bengals, so hoping Dallas can knock out San Francisco just to be sure that Cincy won't possibly be facing the 49ers in the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I don't have an issue with Harbaugh wanting to roll the dice and win within regulation.  I have an issue with his horrible play calls that don't get his team into the end zone for the two pointer and the win.

I think my issue is that you can't give away two games in a sixteen seventeen game season and expect to compete.  I have no issues with being a riverboat gambler and it made sense to go for it against the Steelers since you had Lamar Jackson lining up against a porous Steelers defense.

Two weeks later, I kinda expected Harbaugh to have learned from the mistakes of history and go for the tie and take his chances afterwards.  I'm guessing that he was afraid Aaron Rodgers had enough time to Madden the stuffing out of the Ravens defense, but I dunno how a 1-pt. lead would prevent that.  Honestly, I'd be worried that a 1-pt lead would make Rodgers even more determined to pull a sixty-yard bomb out of the ether.  If it's a tie game, there's a decent chance GB decides to play conservative and take their chances in overtime.  If you're down by one with less than two minutes, you're definitely going to hand Rodgers the ball and say "Go remind people why you're a baaaadddd man."

Of course, the real problem with the calls is that they didn't work.  If Ravens win both games by a point, Harbaugh is a football genius.

• Like 1

Eh, I think Harbaugh knows his team well enough to figure out how they'll fare in overtime and if he's going for wins, he seems to trust his offense to get a win rather than his defense to hold back the tide.  No one but Harbaugh knows the real reason.

And as you say, if the Ravens had made those two-point conversions we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

oh, they just ended the conference/network divide 8 or 9 years ago just because.

though to be fair the conference divide was moot since 1970 and just as arbitrary in the first place.

the broadcasting rules are just like the replay challenge rules; they only matter when they want an excuse why they "can't" do something they don't actually want to.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's like Fox mostly gets NFC games/CBS mostly gets AFC games, but there's random games on the "wrong" network.

But I'm not sure they've had playoff games cross networks like that before.

Part of the reason they had to start moving games across networks and break up the usual conference affiliation is that due to the addition of the Thursday Night and Sunday Night game - it was creating situations were the games would be unbalanced across the network for a week. (Like FOX would have 8 Sunday games but CBS would only have 5 - I making up numbers here).

Also as part of the last TV contracts (which started in in 2014-2015) it was mandated that every team had to appear on a Network at least once during the season. (So this way it ensured the Cowboys would play on CBS at least once and say the Chiefs were on FOX at least once)

Everything falls under the "flexible scheduling" umbrella now

• Thanks 1