DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Hill was kind of the key to everything the Chiefs did on offense the last few years. I can see why he wanted to get paid. His speed on the outside kind of allows everything else to happen. Defenses had to account for him beating them deep on every single play, which cleared space for Kelce underneath for all those catches and yards. I thought the Juju singing was great,  because he'd be covered 1 on 1 most of the time and that is what he did during his best years in Pittsburgh. I don't know what that offense is going to look like without Hill,  because without him there is a much lower ceiling in their offense.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Hill was kind of the key to everything the Chiefs did on offense the last few years. I can see why he wanted to get paid. His speed on the outside kind of allows everything else to happen. Defenses had to account for him beating them deep on every single play, which cleared space for Kelce underneath for all those catches and yards. I thought the Juju singing was great,  because he'd be covered 1 on 1 most of the time and that is what he did during his best years in Pittsburgh. I don't know what that offense is going to look like without Hill,  because without him there is a much lower ceiling in their offense.

The counter-point would just be that Hill disappears for long stretches of games as his key to success is speed. And not all defenses/game plans play into that, leaving him as just a game-long decoy. He only had three 100+ receiving yard games in 2021 and seven games with under 50 yards. For one comparison point of a WR I think is better than Hill, Justin Jefferson had seven 100 yard games and two games under 50 yards. Just more consistently part of the offense. I'm not doubting his skill, Hill is great and can open up an offense, but he isn't overly versatile which one would normally want from the highest paid player at his position.

But I do understand why he (or anyone else) would want to get paid, NFL careers are short, get the bag. It will be interesting to see how it works out for both teams but I wouldn't worry too much about the Chiefs, unfortunately I think they'll be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The counter-point would just be that Hill disappears for long stretches of games as his key to success is speed. And not all defenses/game plans play into that, leaving him as just a game-long decoy. He only had three 100+ receiving yard games in 2021 and seven games with under 50 yards. For one comparison point of a WR I think is better than Hill, Justin Jefferson had seven 100 yard games and two games under 50 yards. Just more consistently part of the offense. I'm not doubting his skill, Hill is great and can open up an offense, but he isn't overly versatile which one would normally want from the highest paid player at his position.

But I do understand why he (or anyone else) would want to get paid, NFL careers are short, get the bag. It will be interesting to see how it works out for both teams but I wouldn't worry too much about the Chiefs, unfortunately I think they'll be fine.

I can't dispute his lack of production,  but I'd counter by saying he's a very valuable decoy. Last year defenses did everything possible to stop the Chiefs from beating them deep. All the talk about whether or not the league has figured out Mahomes was mostly about what happens when they make him nickel and dime the offense down the field. That offense almost requires a deep threat to be effective. If no one is taking the roof off of the offense nothing else really works. The offense is based on Hill pushing the safeties back and Kelce dominating linebackers underneath. A big reason that I believe that they never run the ball is that it would give them less room to work,  which is the biggest way to limit their offense. 

The one thing that surprises me is I wonder if Hill was threatening a hold out. The Chiefs are still in their Super Bowl window so I would have thought they'd want to keep him this year and then figure out next offseason if they wanted to tag/trade him or sign him. From their end there isn't an advantage to trading him now versus doing with GB did with Adams this offseason. Now if if was threatening to not play, that's different, but no real indication of that yet.

• Like 1

In other news, Carolina's told Cleveland they're not interested in Baker.  

I think that only leaves Seattle as an interested party?   

I mean Pittsburgh *should* be interested but that's not happening for many, many reasons. 

if the Chiefs GM didn't already essentially let Mathieu go while retaining useless Frank Clark, maybe he would be in a better public relations position to deal with a Drew Rosenhaus guy doing Drew Rosenhaus things.

Some of the Chiefs fan reaction to this makes more sense in the context where people are blaming Veach for things before today.

Of course, there's a roster bonus for Mahomes that could be converted but hasn't. Which makes you wonder if they wanna make sure they're not gonna get Kelce or Mahomes grumbling before trying to open more cap space for the Mock Draft aficionados out there.

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In other news, Carolina's told Cleveland they're not interested in Baker.  

I think that only leaves Seattle as an interested party?   

I mean Pittsburgh *should* be interested but that's not happening for many, many reasons. 

As a Steeler fan I'd rather kick the tires on Trubisky this season, Mayfield wouldn't throw to the best receiver on his team and has a bum shoulder, why would any team trade for him.

• Thanks 1

I'm kind of shocked to see the skepticism on Hill. Maybe I'm just higher on him than most because playing anyone in Madden that has Hill is like impossible lol. But I think The Dolphins have made a bunch of smart moves. They seem to be in position to give The Bills some competition this year. Tua has Terron Armstead protecting him. Waddle and Hill stretching the defense. Chase Edmonds is a solid enough receiving back. Gasecki is one of the better TEs in the league. On appearances, they have a pretty solid offense right now.

Hill did benefit from The Chiefs scheme. I don't consider him a WR1 either. But The Dolphins have Waddle as their WR1. Hill should be playing the same role here he did in KC. Deep threat / return threat / speed reverse threat. And if Tua is going to be an NFL QB, this is the year he has to prove it. I said the same thing about The Giants offense / Daniel Jones for last season. And he shit the bed. As long as Tua can bring the goods, Dolphins will at least be in the mix come December / January.

And no this wasn't a post just to kiss up to Dolfan lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm kind of shocked to see the skepticism on Hill. Maybe I'm just higher on him than most because playing anyone in Madden that has Hill is like impossible lol. But I think The Dolphins have made a bunch of smart moves. They seem to be in position to give The Bills some competition this year. Tua has Terron Armstead protecting him. Waddle and Hill stretching the defense. Chase Edmonds is a solid enough receiving back. Gasecki is one of the better TEs in the league. On appearances, they have a pretty solid offense right now.

Hill did benefit from The Chiefs scheme. I don't consider him a WR1 either. But The Dolphins have Waddle as their WR1. Hill should be playing the same role here he did in KC. Deep threat / return threat / speed reverse threat. And if Tua is going to be an NFL QB, this is the year he has to prove it. I said the same thing about The Giants offense / Daniel Jones for last season. And he shit the bed. As long as Tua can bring the goods, Dolphins will at least be in the mix come December / January.

And no this wasn't a post just to kiss up to Dolfan lol.

How's Tua's deep ball?

• Like 1

I am not sure JuJu Smith-Schuster is going to be a solid replacement for Tyreek Hill.   In all forms of being a receiver.   At least based on the last 2 years.  Unless they believe that Hill has regressed quicker than people.  

Dolphins just told everyone that the ball is in Tua's court.  Either he can cut it as an elite QB or he is just average.  

Both the Hill and Davante Adams deals are banking on two excellent wide receivers continuing to be great into their 30's.

TO was great into his 30's. So was Moss. Tim Brown was at least very good. Jerry Rice is an alien cyborg built just to play wide out and was great pretty much through his thirties.

Just about every other star wide receiver in NFL history hit significant decline by age 30.

• Like 2

By all accounts this is a very deep WR class (most mocks have between 5-6 WR going in just the 1st round) and KC has back to back 1st round picks now.

It isn't crazy to think that is where the replacement is coming from

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

By all accounts this is a very deep WR class (most mocks have between 5-6 WR going in just the 1st round) and KC has back to back 1st round picks now.

It isn't crazy to think that is where the replacement is coming from

they'll have to trade up from 29 to get one of those WRs

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

they'll have to trade up from 29 to get one of those WRs

Not really - most have at least one if not two available at that time.

And that isn't factoring in that most think basically no QBs are going in the first round which we all know won't happen.

Now that being said - its not like KC doesn't need a lotta help on defense either