DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I know they both struggled to find a trade partner but the fact Garoppolo and Mayfield are both still on their respective teams is funny. Like, can't you figure out something? They are going to end up either Watsoning them and making them inactive all year, or doing the "everything is fine!" and pretending like nothing happened even though every fan (and the players) know they aren't wanted. I know Garoppolo is hurt but I think his 27 mil salary is going to end up being a bigger obstacle.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I know they both struggled to find a trade partner but the fact Garoppolo and Mayfield are both still on their respective teams is funny. Like, can't you figure out something? They are going to end up either Watsoning them and making them inactive all year, or doing the "everything is fine!" and pretending like nothing happened even though every fan (and the players) know they aren't wanted. I know Garoppolo is hurt but I think his 27 mil salary is going to end up being a bigger obstacle.

I mean, I really wanted the Colts to trade for Jimmy G, but they were intent on sticking with another retread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, I really wanted the Colts to trade for Jimmy G, but they were intent on sticking with another retread.

The early rumor that San Fran was looking for multiple draft picks was funny to me. I mean this is a QB that is hurt, has a big salary for next year (his last year on the contract so its basically a one year rental), and has played so mediocrely (mostly the eyeball test, his numbers are ok) while in San Fran that they are looking to replace him in the first place. I like Jimmy G, I don't think his career is over or that he isn't capable of rebounding, but it was a big ask considering the situation. I'm not convinced that San Fran is making the right choice here but its a choice they made and they are doing a subpar job of going through with it all the way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I guess Mayfield is an insurance policy in case Watson gets Watsoned again, or suspended.

• Like 1

I think there are some that believe Trey Lance still may not be ready, and the Niners may feel good about their contention situation still, so there are many that think Jimmy G starts again next season. 

Cam Newton says he can still play and he only looked bad for New England and Carolina because he put himself in bad situations.  He admits he was still learning the Patriot offense halfway through his first season there:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34053520/qb-cam-newton-says-put-tough-situations-carolina-panthers-new-england-patriots

• Haha 1

The sale agreement with the Walton-Penner group also means Walton and Stan Kroenke, Walton's cousin by marriage, will own five of the six major professional sports franchises in Colorado. Kroenke owns the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids and Colorado Mammoth lacrosse team, in addition to a regional media company in the state.

This is my new favorite "tidbit" that has come out of this

"Cousin by marriage" is some amazing bullshit

Last night the Hank Scorpio episode of the Simpsons was on.  He gifts Homer the Denver Broncos at the end and Homer is all disappointed.  Simpsons: always timely.

Edited by Log
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was going to laugh at them calling the Colorado Mammoth lacrosse team a major sports franchise but then I saw they've had seasons where they outdrew the Avalanche and Nuggets on a per-game basis.  That's pretty impressive.

20 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I was going to laugh at them calling the Colorado Mammoth lacrosse team a major sports franchise but then I saw they've had seasons where they outdrew the Avalanche and Nuggets on a per-game basis.  That's pretty impressive.

It's not that impressive.  Despite being competitive for about 20 straight years and having a 2-time MVP on the team, the Nuggets are consistently one of the worst drawing teams in the NBA.  

56 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's not that impressive.  Despite being competitive for about 20 straight years and having a 2-time MVP on the team, the Nuggets are consistently one of the worst drawing teams in the NBA.  

The Avalanche average 15k+ a night.  I'd say topping that is pretty good for a lacrosse team.

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

The Avalanche average 15k+ a night.  I'd say topping that is pretty good for a lacrosse team.

OK, I just looked it up and the Nuggets average about 17K a night, which is around league average, but their TV numbers are where they lack.  If the lacrosse team is doing better than that, I'm fucking stunned.  I would be surprised if 15K+ people nationwide watched professional lacrosse on a regular basis.  This just shows how much sports as a genre attracts eyeballs.  With that said, the fact that pretty much no women's sports rights are sold independent of the rights of their male counterparts are probably leaving a bunch of money on the table.  I know plenty of people who watch women's sports pretty regularly, but I didn't even know there was professional lacrosse.  If you can get a decent audience with lacrosse, I'm sure the WNBA, the NCAAW tourney, and women's soccer could get a pretty big audience.  Matter of fact, I just heard that the college softball World Series gets much better ratings than the men's college World Series (I'm not going to pretend like I watch either on a regular basis, but from what I've seen, the Softball World Series is a much better product.  Those games are fast paced and fun in comparison to the slog of baseball where they waste so much time doing nothing at all).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Log said:

Last night the Hank Scorpio episode of the Simpsons was on.  He gifts Homer the Denver Broncos at the end and Homer is all disappointed.  Simpsons: always timely.

Homer's been a great owner all 3 Super Bowls the Franchise have won have come after he got the team! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The National Lacrosse League actually gets surprisingly decent attendance. This year the league averaged over 6K per game with the Buffalo Bandits tops in the league at 9K. In the last pre-pandemic year, the league averaged just under 10K per game and again the Bandits led with 13.5K. In 2019 Buffalo, Colorado, Calgary and Philadelphia all had average attendances over 10K and Toronto was just under.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elizium said:

The National Lacrosse League actually gets surprisingly decent attendance. This year the league averaged over 6K per game with the Buffalo Bandits tops in the league at 9K. In the last pre-pandemic year, the league averaged just under 10K per game and again the Bandits led with 13.5K. In 2019 Buffalo, Colorado, Calgary and Philadelphia all had average attendances over 10K and Toronto was just under.

Saskatchewan was pulling in 14K per game before the pandemic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The sale agreement with the Walton-Penner group also means Walton and Stan Kroenke, Walton's cousin by marriage, will own five of the six major professional sports franchises in Colorado. Kroenke owns the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids and Colorado Mammoth lacrosse team, in addition to a regional media company in the state.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

and the myth that America doesn't have a hereditary landed aristocracy erodes that much further...

• Like 3

On 6/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cooper Kupp gets an extension from the Champs.  

3/80.    (No word on the guarantee)

$75m guaranteed