DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Basically the Vikings are at this stage

Harbaugh is their first choice. 

If that goes sideways they will be choosing between Kevin O'Connell, Raheem Morris and Patrick Graham. (They wanted to give Niners DC DeMeco Ryans a 2nd interview but he declined)

Today's update on the Jags - they are giving Doug Pederson a 2nd interview today.

That makes him the only person still available on their list (not named Byron Leftwich) to get a 2nd interview

So Doug Pederson is going to be their next HC

If Harbaugh is determined to come to the NFL and is going to leave UM sooner than later, and you think he's still a great NFL coach, why wouldn't you try to hire Harbaugh especially since he's been heavily linked to two NFL jobs in this cycle. Ross is baffling. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jacksonville is bringing in Doug Pederson for his second interview. 

Weren't they supposedly hiring Byron Leftwich a couple days ago?  Wonder if that was a fake story or contract talks stalled out?  Unless I was really eager to be a HC, I'd want Jacksonville to overpay me too to try to extinguish their dumpster fire.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mario said:

Weren't they supposedly hiring Byron Leftwich a couple days ago?  Wonder if that was a fake story or contract talks stalled out?  Unless I was really eager to be a HC, I'd want Jacksonville to overpay me too to try to extinguish their dumpster fire.

Read back through the thread.  Leftwich was ready to go, but didn't want to work for their GM and wanted them to hire someone else.  That's where talks stalled out.  

And every name you've read in this thread is extremely eager to be a HC. This is the most sought after job in pro football, and there are only 32 slots for thousands and thousands of candidates. To get to this level, you need to be a competitive psychopath, and you must believe you are 100% the person to get any team you get to the Super Bowl. Any coach who isn't at the HC level will jump at the chance to lead Jacksonville. 

That being said, yes, Leftwich is going to want to be paid what he feels he's worth and he's also going to set himself up to succeed.  They've balked at his price, so they're looking elsewhere for now.  

• Like 3

What I don't understand is, isn't the GM involved in these negotiations? So is Byron Leftwich sitting across a table from Baalke and saying "I don't want to work with you."

I guess I'm just not sure what the power structure is. My understanding is that traditionally the GM is the one taking lead on decisions like this, but in hockey at least, that's gotten really fuzzy over the last few years with teams installing people with titles like "Head of Hockey Ops" or the team president taking a more active role in the on-ice makeup of the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And every name you've read in this thread is extremely eager to be a HC. This is the most sought after job in pro football, and there are only 32 slots for thousands and thousands of candidates. To get to this level, you need to be a competitive psychopath, and you must believe you are 100% the person to get any team you get to the Super Bowl.

And yet somehow, someway, Caldwell's name comes up what feels like every year. 

Jim Caldwell would be a perfect MLB manager for some middling team. Make a line up, sit back, do nothing most of the time, stare from the dugout, occasionally make a change out on the field or in the batting order. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So Doug Pederson is going to be their next HC

Fuck Doug Pederson and fuck any team willing to interview him. He lost all credibility when he purposely tanked the last game of the year last year. It prevented The Giants from getting the last playoff spot, but it also hurt the development of their QB. No integrity and any team willing to interview him is a joke. Jaguars are seemingly always a shit show now so par for the course. If they hire him they deserve to go lose 1,000 straight games.

Not that I am the type of person to hold a grudge or anything....

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For those who don't know, John U Bacon is a very connected journalist when it comes to Michigan. He's like Adam Schefter but with ethics. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hoo Boy

Everyone is basically rooting for Kafka, right?  Nothing would better represent Rippa's existential angst as a Giants fan than having Kafka at the helm, yes?

And I say this as someone whose team swallowed the Pats poison pill for GM and coach.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

And yet somehow, someway, Caldwell's name comes up what feels like every year. 

Jim Caldwell would be a perfect MLB manager for some middling team. Make a line up, sit back, do nothing most of the time, stare from the dugout, occasionally make a change out on the field or in the batting order. 

Jim Caldwell had winning seasons three out of his four years with the Lions. That alone should qualify him as the best coach on the market, honestly.

Edit: They only have 5 total winning seasons since 2000. Caldwell coached three of them.

Edited by Brian Fowler

29 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Wondering if this Flores stuff accelerates or decelerates the McCown hiring.

Don't sleep on Jonathan Gannon!

(And you have to imagine Goodell has already made a call to Houston threatening them with fire and brimstone if they hire McCown now after the Flores lawsuit)