DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, the Blue are interviewing Leslie Frazier for a 2nd time later this week. 

It is Patrick Graham today

Brian Flores tomorrow

Leslie Frazier Friday

I should note that part of the reason it seems so many guys seem to be getting 2nd interviews (for all teams) is because of the new rule that you must conduct at least 2 IN PERSON interviews with minority candidates. So for example - Leslie Frazier's first one was virtual so wouldn't have counted for Rooney Rule compliance. (Obviously since all three of the above are minority candidates - the Giants will be in compliance)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is Patrick Graham today

Brian Flores tomorrow

Leslie Frazier Friday

I should note that part of the reason it seems so many guys seem to be getting 2nd interviews (for all teams) is because of the new rule that you must conduct at least 2 IN PERSON interviews with minority candidates. So for example - Leslie Frazier's first one was virtual so wouldn't have counted for Rooney Rule compliance. (Obviously since all three of the above are minority candidates - the Giants will be in compliance)

Then hire Dabol anyway. . .

Payton's press conference and the talk that he'll be coaching the Cowboys in a year reminded me a lot of Bill Cowher fifteen years ago.  Most people were sure Cowher just wanted a year off to rest and spend time with his family and then would come back and pick his job and it never happened.

Payton reminds me a lot of Cowher.  i think he's going to go off for a year and find out he can do something else and be satisfied and he won't come back to coaching.  He's never struck me as a lifer - and that's not a criticism from me.  I assume he has a fair bit of money in the bank  I think he's going to do TV for a year and find out he can still make a pretty fair living without going all in the way most coaches do.  Playing and coaching in the League (or almost any pro sport) tends to be an all or nothing proposition.  I don't really believe most of these guys can take a season off and psych themselves back into making the sacrifices and rediscovering the passion.  There are plenty of ways to stay in football that are less soul-destroying that head coach or star player.

We'll see.  I was one of the cognoscenti who thought Cowher would wait out his Steelers contract, then come back and be a football lifer. so what do I know?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Then hire Dabol anyway. . .

It is interesting - half the New York media is convinced its Dabol

The other half are convinced it is Brian Flores. They are the ones who keep bringing Flores' name up since he still hasn't interviewed once yet (see Dolfan's earlier post from the clown from the Daily News)

I always thought Cowher would take the John Madden route and never return to coaching. I don't get the same feeling about Sean Payton. Part of what drove that feeling about Cowher was that he wanted to be with his kids and see them grow up. Payton's kids are in their 20s and done with school. So it's either find a job with CBS, Fox, FS1, or ESPN, which are all pretty full of people as it is, or go back to coaching. I think he'll go back to coaching.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Word on the street is that the Bears will be hiring Ryan Poles (executive director of player personnel with the Chiefs) as their GM as early as today.

And if that happens - it is expected the Vikings will hire Kwesi Adofo-Mensah (Browns’ VP of football operations) as their GM (their finalists are Poles and Adofo-Mensah)

And this is indeed what happened - Poles was hired by the Bears yesterday. The Vikings hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah today

Jags could still screw it up

Other reports are presenting it as Leftwich and the Jags are working at contract details and if it falls apart, Eberflus is the fall back

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Take this for what its worth but...

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I should also note that that came after the new GM said they are gonna build an offense around "what Daniel Jones does best"

Feels like they should be able to find some type of middle ground between those two extremes...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Also remember that Cowher's wife passed away from cancer a few years after he retired, if I remember right it wasn't public she was sick until shortly before she died. 

In his autobiography, Cowher said her retired because he was afraid he'd always be Coach Cowher and never get to do anything else.  He felt that, the longer he coached in the NFL, the harder it would be to ever get out.

No way to know for certain, but I feel it's likely Cowher decided not to ever come back within a couple weeks of stepping down from the Steelers.  Mrs. Cowher's illness probably didn't have much to do with that.  Cowher retired at the end of the 2006 regular season.  Mrs. Cowher passed away in July 2010 after a short illness.  The family didn't keep the illness from the media for very long.  Kay Cowher  supposedly felt fine when she went to the doctor about a mole in the spring of 2010.  The doctor insisted on a biopsy and the diagnosis ended up being skin cancer.  She was gone a couple months later.