DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Once again, I will never understand how inept NFL teams are when it comes to hiring GMs and HCs compared to the NHL, NBA, and MLB. I'm half convinced an NFL team could hire Theo Epstein and do decently enough compared to hiring a "football" guy for the role.

• Like 1

Everybody here is laughing at the Josh McCown thing, but he's the #1 person in NFL history that I would have guessed would be an NFL coach almost immediately after playing.  Josh McCown is football's 2 Chains.  Everybody has worked with him and everybody who has worked with him absolutely loves him.  There was some story written about him a few years ago about how he had over 1000 teammates and they interviewed him and a bunch of former teammates and it was pretty clear that he took the time to actually get to know all of these people.  He had everyone from hall of famers to career back ups, across racial lines, and all of them had a story that made it pretty clear that not only was he teammates with all of these dudes, but they all LOVE him.  Every story was about something completely and totally unrelated to football, and most were either him being just a great dude to hang out with or him going out of his way to learn something about that specific teammate.  Somebody is going to hire him, because most people don't have 1% of his people skills.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears Carolina is choosing between Ben McAdoo and Jay Gruden as their next OC as both have had second interviews with the team

One could argue that the Panthers are also lining up their interim HC for when they fire Matt Rhule midseason

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Everybody here is laughing at the Josh McCown thing, but he's the #1 person in NFL history that I would have guessed would be an NFL coach almost immediately after playing.  Josh McCown is football's 2 Chains.  Everybody has worked with him and everybody who has worked with him absolutely loves him.  There was some story written about him a few years ago about how he had over 1000 teammates and they interviewed him and a bunch of former teammates and it was pretty clear that he took the time to actually get to know all of these people.  He had everyone from hall of famers to career back ups, across racial lines, and all of them had a story that made it pretty clear that not only was he teammates with all of these dudes, but they all LOVE him.  Every story was about something completely and totally unrelated to football, and most were either him being just a great dude to hang out with or him going out of his way to learn something about that specific teammate.  Somebody is going to hire him, because most people don't have 1% of his people skills.

I don't think anyone would blink if he had a few years as a QB coach or passing game coordinator or OC.

But going straight to head coach is just abnormal at best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That sounds like he's a good candidate, but have any teams other than the Texans ever brought him in for an interview? 

No, and that's what Kurt was saying earlier.  They want someone else to interview him, so they don't look stupid when they hire him.  

Anyway, there's this now:

1) Permission from whom?  Flores isn't an employee of anyone right now.

2) Flores is being Rooney Ruled right now.  ?

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That sounds like he's a good candidate, but have any teams other than the Texans ever brought him in for an interview? 

No - the Jags had a "conversation" with him this week but not a formal interview

And again - to Fowler's point - the reason everyone is mocking it is because McCown hasn't coached anything on any level.

Its not like they interviewed him last year and said "hey be an assistant or coordinator this year and then he will revisit this". He didn't in the year that past.

I don't care how good your people skills are. It is insulting to everyone who coaches - especially those who interview and are told "you don't have enough experience"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Permission from whom?  Flores isn't an employee of anyone right now.

Flores is being Rooney Ruled right now. 

His agent - it is goofy wording but it is like setting up an interview in any job. They aren't gonna cold call him and immediately start firing questions are him.

And I am not sure why you think he is being Rooney Ruled when he now listed as the favorite for three different teams

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No - the Jags had a "conversation" with him this week but not a formal interview

And again - to Fowler's point - the reason everyone is mocking it is because McCown hasn't coached anything on any level.

Its not like they interviewed him last year and said "hey be an assistant or coordinator this year and then he will revisit this". He didn't in the year that past.

I don't care how good your people skills are. It is insulting to everyone who coaches - especially those who interview and are told "you don't have enough experience"

Maybe being in the Texan's "prayer circle" is actually some sort of euphemism...? ???

The Vikings have reportedly narrowed their GM choice down to Ryan Poles (KC Executive Director of Player Personnel) and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah (CLE VP of Football Operations).

Poles was a finalist for the Giants job before they hired Schoen.

I honestly don't know a hell of a lot about either of them except that Adofo-Mensah is apparently one of the big analytics types and had a career trading commodities on Wall Street before getting into football.

Edited by Gonzo

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not that it helps his resume all that much but McCown has coached high school football. 

Got a lawyer friend who says he talked to a minority owner of the Texans. He says it’s like this:

Spoiler

Basically, Easterby wants McCown, and Caserio likes Gannon (and a few others). Easterby is leaking shit to try to pump up McCown, and Caserio is countering by pumping up other candidates. The hope is that Caserio wins this battle, but with Cal lapping up every turd that falls from Easterby’s ass, it’s not a foregone conclusion. Apparently Easterby thought that the concept would play out very differently in the public sphere, which just goes to show how fucking naive the guy is, and how reprehensible it is that he’s a football executive at all.

So I guess the Texans will be looking for a new GM again soon

Part of me hopes Daboll leaves just so Bills fans re-learn that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. They had a run of pretty bad OCs for a decade (Rick Dennison, Greg Roman (he's ok), a young and inexperienced Nathaniel Hackett, Curtis Modkins, Van Pelt) and yet some fans want the one that led the Bills to having that offense we saw last weekend to go. Sports fans are the worst people.

I have no idea if he will be a good HC, and I'm excited for him if he gets that chance. But as a Bills fan I am a little concerned of what comes next and I hope there isn't a dip next year as they adjust to a new playcaller and offensive tweaks since every coach wants to put their own stamp on things.

Ben McAdoo with The Panthers? Will it be bowl cut McAdoo or slicked back mafia wanna be McAdoo? There's a big difference between the two.

I am happy with The Giant's GM choice. I am pulling for Flores for HC, but with him being a defensive guy I am preparing myself to lose that battle. Dabol is not a sexy name to me. Even less so hearing he wants to bring Tribiski in with him. But I greatly prefer him to Dan Quinn. Like he is about the most bland head coach of all time. Him or Pat Shurmer. And we saw how that went. At least Dabol has shown he can mold a qb that's had a bad season into something closer to his potential. Daniel Jones / Mitch Tribiski are never going to turn into Josh Allen. But they could maybe hit prime Cincy Andy Dalton level until something better comes along.

• Haha 1

So, Rodgers' "Lebron 'Fuck this fucking place'" makes me all but sure he's gone.  

I'd think Denver/Carolina/NO would be potential landing spots.   

Though it would be hilarious if TB12 wins another SB, retires, and is instantly replaced by another #12. 

Sean Payton supposedly is unsure if he wants to return as Saints coach next year

So that has lead to the new report of...

IF Troy Aikman jumps to Amazon (Amazon has streaming coverage of the Thursday Night Games next year)

THEN Fox wants to hire Payton and pair him with Joe Buck

(Apparently Aikman has been quoted as saying he is unsure if he will work for Fox or Amazon next year)