DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily - I made that posts about GM-less teams waiting to hire a coach till they had a GM and it comes out today that the Bears are interviewing Brian Flores.

I'm still upset about Flores being let go, but if you have a young QB that needs to be developed that you believe could be amazing (like the Bears do with Fields), I'm not sure Flores is your HC hire. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm still upset about Flores being let go, but if you have a young QB that needs to be developed that you believe could be amazing (like the Bears do with Fields), I'm not sure Flores is your HC hire. 

y'all need Bill O'Brien

• Like 1

Oh man I've seen so many speculation articles linking the Texans to Josh McDaniels / Joe Judge / Brian Flores if the Texans hire anyone not from the Patriots coaching tree I'll dance a jig. 

So, um, how is Joe Judge as a special teams coach?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Oh man I've seen so many speculation articles linking the Texans to Josh McDaniels / Joe Judge / Brian Flores if the Texans hire anyone not from the Patriots coaching tree I'll dance a jig. 

So, um, how is Joe Judge as a special teams coach?

Sixty percent of the time he's twice as good as he was as a head coach.

jw4.jpg?w=525&h=394

• Haha 1

I'm soooo glad The Giants pulled the ripcord on Judge. I don't think Judge was the worst they've done the last few years (McAdoo was a derp and Shermer was just bland as all hell) but he certainly wasn't inspiring the players. New GM, new coach, picks 5 & 7 in the draft. This shift *should* mean improvement. Not looking for an immediate playoff jump. I'd be happy just still being alive by week 10. I posted on her around week 3 or 4 about knowing they were eliminated. Just get me into the double digit weeks before I know the season is over lol.

• Like 1

Bears are asking permission to talk to the Steeler's exec Omar Khan.  Timing is interesting because there was a rumor a week or two back that Kevin Colbert is retiring at season's end.  Colbert denied, but did say he was thinking about retiring, so I'm guessing the decision has been made and he's just not ready to announce.  Khan has interviewed for GM jobs before, so it's probably his time.  I think the Steelers will have to promote him now or lose him.  Honestly, wondering if wanting to keep Khan in the organization has anything to do with the timing of  Colbert's potential announcement.   Khan has been the obvious candidate to succeed Colbert for quite a while now.  

In case anyone was wondering - Joe Judge definitely coached himself out of the job the last few weeks

Also - Mara admitted that the last GM search was "rushed". I mean anyone in Carolina could have told you hiring Gettleman was a mistake

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Mara admitted that the last GM search was "rushed". I mean anyone in Carolina could have told you hiring Gettleman was a mistake

No shit anyone with one working eye could tell you that lol. Gettleman is about as stuck in the past as any executive in NFL history. Instead of embracing what the NFL is evolving into that hire just keep them stuck in the past until he was gone. Now The Giants are minus Beckham, entirely due to Gettleman. The Franchise is far worse off now than when he took over. The mark of a true visionary.

• Like 2

I do think there is some over-emphasis when hiring a head coach that if they are getting a young QB that the HC has to be a QB whisperer or offensive minded, but I don't think that is the case. McDermott for the Bills has a background in defense but he hired a very good (regardless what some fans will tell you) offensive coordinator and QB coach, plus Allen put in hard work training in the offseason to reach the level he currently is. That's not to say McDermott *hurt* Allen's growth but no one gives him credit for it either for good reason, aside from providing stability. He just let his people do their thing.

I really think when looking at head coaches the focus should be on game planning, decision making, motivation/charismatic qualities, and composure under pressure. And probably not an asshole. If they make the right hires around them, they don't have to be a miracle worker in any particular field.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of links if folks want to track who everyone is interviewing (or at least is rumored to be interviewing)

General Manager

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/01/2022-nfl-general-manager-search-tracker

Head Coach

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/01/2022-nfl-head-coaching-search-tracker

Looking it up, Wentz actually put up better numbers than I realized this year. 

3500+ years, 27 scores, 7 picks, a 94.6 rating. Not close to that stretch he had in Philly before getting hurt the year they won the Super Bowl, but not bad.

But boy oh boy did he finish the year poorly in those last two loses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Looking it up, Wentz actually put up better numbers than I realized this year. 

3500+ years, 27 scores, 7 picks, a 94.6 rating. Not close to that stretch he had in Philly before getting hurt the year they won the Super Bowl, but not bad.

But boy oh boy did he finish the year poorly in those last two loses.

He was sitting on 17 TDs and 3 INTs after 9 weeks.  Elite performance.  Since then...

• Like 2

I don't know what else Culley could've done with that roster. They were out talented by everyone they played except maybe Jacksonville, and they competed hard all year. I'm not saying he was going to be a great coach, but didn't feel like he deserved the one and done treatment. He's not Cam Cameron or whoever.

• Like 1

Culley was a fall guy for this lost season.  There was a reason why he never sniffed a head coaching job or coordinator job in his career. And he showed it in game and in press conferences. He sucked. 

but don’t feel bad for him. He got paid millions to suck as a head coach. Lucky dude. 

• Like 2