DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

And watch, the team won't land Ryan Day and instead we'll get fucking Jim Harbaugh and it will be positioned as a homecoming for Harbaugh, or something.

I certainly don't want Harbaugh to leave, especially for a division rival of the Lions... But why would anyone expect Ryan Day to be a better NFL head coach than Jim? I mean, there's not exactly a long track record of college coaches doing well in the NFL, and Harbaugh took a losing team the year before he got there to 44-19-1, three conference title games, and a Super Bowl. Day took over a wildly successful college team and kept it at about the same level, and that's all he has on his resume.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Their combined age is nearly 160 years old. Really neat they're entrusting the future of the team with two guys who are old as dirt and out of touch.

Whatever. Ted Phillips and George McCaskey can keep their dream alive by always just hovering around .500. Congrats to them.

And apparently the Bears want to interview Leslie Frazier.

They can have him. Hopefully someone will be dumb enough to hire Daboll, too.

44 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I certainly don't want Harbaugh to leave, especially for a division rival of the Lions... But why would anyone expect Ryan Day to be a better NFL head coach than Jim? I mean, there's not exactly a long track record of college coaches doing well in the NFL, and Harbaugh took a losing team the year before he got there to 44-19-1, three conference title games, and a Super Bowl. Day took over a wildly successful college team and kept it at about the same level, and that's all he has on his resume.

It's the Justin Fields connection, but you are 100% right.

To circle all the way back - there is confusion as to what exactly is going on with Joe Judge

The general consensus amongst the local reports seems to be:

Judge meet with ownership in the AM to set up a meeting for this afternoon.

Judge told players he was still the coach. However, other players claimed that he made no such declaration and it was more him acting like nothing was changing.

Judge told his coaches that there was still self-evaluation going on and that the Giants "will have a good team next season"

He (Judge) then had his longer afternoon meeting with ownership - this was after Gettleman "retiring". This longer meeting is supposedly were Judge is trying to convince ownership to keep him. It is possible they will meet again tomorrow.

Everything else is speculation but the agreed upon point is that either he will be fired in the next couple of days OR they will let the new GM decide. No one seems to believe he is going to be told he is 100% back next season until meeting with the new GM.

• Like 2

When has a new GM keeping a failing coach on ever worked? (There's probably an example of it working it that I can't think of). I didn't even start disliking Judge until the last few games this year. He just has this schmucky weird smug attitude that a guy telling his 3rd string QB to run a QB sneak on 3rd and 9, down 20 points in the 3rd quarter just shouldn't have. He just doesn't have "it" and it'd be nice if the new GM could have the power to try out a new approach. Because the last 5 years ain't it.

I figured that the Zimmer thing was coming. Honestly, it probably would have come after the 2019 season if they hadn't gotten the playoff win in New Orleans (only to get shithammered by the Niners the week after).

Pleasantly surprised that Spielman went, too. There had been a bunch of rumblings that he was going to get some phony-baloney job higher-up in the organization but that didn't happen. Dude had been there in some capacity since 2006 so yeah, it was time for him to go, too.

Overheard this at lunch.  Laughed a lot.

"Judge won't last the week.  Mediocrity is almost never rewarded in the NFL."

"What does mediocrity have to do with Joe Judge?  I wish he was just mediocre.  Our team would be in better shape."

Savage.  Honestly, i started laughing when the first guy said the NFL doesn't reward mediocrity.  I think fans in several cities would disagree.  Heck, I know a lot of Steeler's fans that think Tomlin is a mediocre coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Overheard this at lunch.  Laughed a lot.

"Judge won't last the week.  Mediocrity is almost never rewarded in the NFL."

"What does mediocrity have to do with Joe Judge?  I wish he was just mediocre.  Our team would be in better shape."

Savage.  Honestly, i started laughing when the first guy said the NFL doesn't reward mediocrity.  I think fans in several cities would disagree.  Heck, I know a lot of Steeler's fans that think Tomlin is a mediocre coach.

.500 Fisher - AKA Jeff Fisher - is proof the NFL rewards mediocrity.  The man won exactly 7 or 8 games in TEN of his twenty full seasons as a coach.  He had just six winning seasons.  He got the full-time Houston gig after going 1-6 as the interim coach.  But, yeah, the NFL doesn't reward mediocrity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be specific - it rewards white guys being mediocre

We'll know when diversity has truly arrived when Art Shell 2.0 gets 18 years as a head coach.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

All the teams looking for a GM have stated they will be hiring the GM first before hiring their HC

Any coach willing to take an HC opening while the GM job is still open is exactly the guy you DON'T want as your HC.

• Like 3

In case you missed it, the Lions fired Offensive Coordinator Anthony Lynn yesterday.  That's even less surprising than most of the head coaching changes.  Lynn was relieved of playcalling duties when the Lions were 0-8.  Head coach Dan Campbell, who had never called plays anywhere other than his backyard before, took over and the Lions went 3-5-1 after with Jared Goff showing considerable improvement.  Rookie Amon-Ra St. Brown also emerged, becoming the first rookie to have 8+ receptions in 5 straight games (a streak he extended to 6).  Under Lynn, the Lions scored 20+ points just once.  Under Campbell, they scored 29+ four times and beat Green Bay and Arizona.

So, yeah, no surprise that Lynn got canned.

• Like 1