DVDVR Message Board

Battle of the Belts 1 - 1/8/2022

15 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Hard for me to get into this one, like everybody else I expected these to be Clash-esques. I was into the main but I don't know if I've ever heard an AEW crowd deader than during Starks/Sydal.

Because other than Sydal’s high-flying moves it was really meh.

Great opener, most everything has been said about it but I also thought maybe Sammy had really hurt his knee. Then I realized he was pointing at it to try and get the ref to stop the 10-count. Table spot was a huge wow moment, and I was fine with the kick out since it was a 2.9, and because Cody took a while to recover outside after the spot, giving Sammy time to recover as well. Wonder if Eddie is going to get involved with Sammy-Garcia next week?

FTW match was a solid Dark main event. I think @HarryArchieGussaid that Taz is hard to listen to when he’s calling a Team Taz match, and I fully agree. And whoever said to just trash the belt is right because that whole background/explanation was ridiculous. The after-match stuff was good though.

Enjoyed the Women’s title match, done really well from a storyline point of view with some big spots. Table spot was scary as Hayter’s legs took a lot of awkward impact and I was really worried there would be another bad injury from a table. Riho wasn’t smiling the whole time, which honestly helped get across how serious the match was.

7 hours a week (including Dark and Elevation) was a lot for me.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of Dustin matches, and he did seem a little off to me. Not just the early stop but very sluggish movement later on. Some of that could have been Dustin milking a moment or building to a transition or letting things sink in, but even in places like the finishing stretch or when he was going up to the top, something just seemed a little off to me. Obviously, all anyone will remember of this will be Sammy's dive and Dustin's Canadian Destroyer through the table and maybe Sammy's first bump for the CrossRhodes, but something felt off.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I actually think they should get outsiders, or team somebody up with Nyla, to give Ford & Bunny a brawling heel team so they can turn them face. 

building a women's tag team division would be a good way for them to get more women ring/TV time per week.

though it will of course make me retroactively sore that they didn't bring Jessie and Cassie in to be the backbone thereof.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

building a women's tag team division would be a good way for them to get more women ring/TV time per week.

though it will of course make me retroactively sore that they didn't bring Jessie and Cassie in to be the backbone thereof.

Yeah, adding a secondary women's title instead of a women's tag made no sense to me from the jump. I guess one could argue tag divisions are inherently more expensive, but they're going to have to probably hire a bunch more women to sustain both divisions

They really don’t need to add a tag belt to the women’s division. Especially if there aren’t any real teams to support it. I’m just saying that Bunny & Ford work real well as a freak show tag team. There are about four big shows this year. They should look for four different scenarios to get them there within the roster, and outside.

Dustin Rhodes has done the "Stop for a minute I'm tired" spot loads of times. He did it in his previous match with Sammy, even. It's every bit a part of a "Dustin Rhodes in his 50s" match, as the missed Crossbody was a "Dustin Rhodes in his 20s" thing.

Ricky Starks was surprisingly huge stood next to Sydal. He has that Long Limbed/ lean bellied skinniness illusion thing that Randy Orton has. Also he stands next to Hobbs quite a lot, and just about everyone would look skinny by comparison.

It was nice to see Britt vs Riho getting the main event, and having the MotN as well.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ricky Starks was surprisingly huge stood next to Sydal. He has that Long Limbed/ lean bellied skinniness illusion thing that Randy Orton has. Also he stands next to Hobbs quite a lot, and just about everyone would look skinny by comparison.

It was nice to see Britt vs Riho getting the main event, and having the MotN as well.

On the same topic, I was surprised at Dante being even face to face with Hobbs, his body type makes him seem smaller.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Dustin Rhodes has done the "Stop for a minute I'm tired" spot loads of times. He did it in his previous match with Sammy, even. It's every bit a part of a "Dustin Rhodes in his 50s" match, as the missed Crossbody was a "Dustin Rhodes in his 20s" thing.

I knew we'd seen it prior, but it was especially jarring here.  I really wish he would stop.  

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There was a scary moment where I thought we had another injury situation on our hands when Riho and Jamie did that table spot that ended with the table and Riho coming down on Jamie’s leg.

I love AEW but they need to pull back a little on the garbage stuff.  Especially spots like that one, which don’t seem very well thought out.

They keep going with these table spots you are going to see more injuries, seems like in eras past guys worked more dates but had less serious injuries. They new they had to make all the towns, not kill themselves and still send the fans home happy

• Like 2

This is admittedly very nit-picky... but there's just too much AEW content that is produced the same. Dark (when not filmed in the studio), Elevation, Rampage, Dynamite, Battle of The Belts. Even the PPVs. They all are filmed the same way. There's no visual difference from a production standpoint. This week all kind of just blurred together for me in a way that WCW didn't in the 90s producing the same amount of content. WCW Saturday Night was visually different from Clash of The Champions which was visually different from Nitro which was visually different than Thunder which was visually different from the PPVs.

I know it's asking a lot to make them distinct. But maybe just switch up where the hard cam is located for Battle of The Belts. Or use a different style of entrance or something. I know they can't differentiate that kind of stuff for Rampage & Dynamite being taped on the same night. But they could have tried something new visually for Battle of The Belts. Maybe that's asking for too much. Idk. But all the shows this week just blurred together for me.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, D.Z said:

659,000 viewers

Only fast nationals, so you have to wait for real numbers later.

That's pretty good for a Saturday night against the Cowboys and Eagles.  

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Jiji said:

So if they're pulling the trigger on Wardlow fucking up MJF soon, no way they do the same story with Hayter at the same time. But Hayter is the only credible and immediate challenge to the title that Britt hasn't beaten and they're building obvious tension despite how tonight ended. Britt has kinda cleared out the division of interesting challengers minus Jamie. 

I don't see how Jamie is an interesting challenger since her role so far has been "job to Britt's next opponent to build heat for the title match." That's a feud you run after Britt drops the belt, but even then Jamie needs some major rehab to seem competitive. Rosa and Jade are the only credible challengers left.

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is admittedly very nit-picky... but there's just too much AEW content that is produced the same. Dark (when not filmed in the studio), Elevation, Rampage, Dynamite, Battle of The Belts. Even the PPVs. They all are filmed the same way. There's no visual difference from a production standpoint. This week all kind of just blurred together for me in a way that WCW didn't in the 90s producing the same amount of content. WCW Saturday Night was visually different from Clash of The Champions which was visually different from Nitro which was visually different than Thunder which was visually different from the PPVs.

I know it's asking a lot to make them distinct. But maybe just switch up where the hard cam is located for Battle of The Belts. Or use a different style of entrance or something. I know they can't differentiate that kind of stuff for Rampage & Dynamite being taped on the same night. But they could have tried something new visually for Battle of The Belts. Maybe that's asking for too much. Idk. But all the shows this week just blurred together for me.

I get ya, I was also hoping for some kind of Entrance Set freshen up with the move to TBS. It all just blurs together after a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same problem I have had with the WWE lately. Granted, when they're in a stadium you can't tell, but the Rumble was in a normal arena like 3(?) or 4 years ago and it looked like a RAW. Didn't feel special whatsoever.

Please wrestling, bring back the unique titantrons. I'm not asking for an 8K screen, just give me something that fits in the vein of the event (Backlash swinging scythe, KotR electric chair, ect.)

• Like 1

Also, Sammy vs. Daniel Garcia for the Interm TNT Championship is exactly the type of match I'm hoping for when I personally tune into AEW. Two young, hungry guys who were letting their punches fly in that little scrum they had at Battle of the Belts. Very excited for that match - appointment viewing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eikerir said:

On the same topic, I was surprised at Dante being even face to face with Hobbs, his body type makes him seem smaller.

Dante is a lengthy guy. He’s the kinda guy who’s got the natural body type to either be a flyer, and a power wrestler if he does the weight training, like Sting did. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Who was Dustin wrestling? Freddy, Jason or Michael Myers? A Canadian destroyer through a table and 2 Crossrhodes in a row and then counters out of the Tiger Driver easy no problem? And not much selling after he won either. Bullshit my friends, bullshit. Give me a Dustin TNT title run please and thank you.

Edited by Leonidas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Who was Dustin wrestling? Freddy, Jason or Michael Myers? A Canadian destroyer through a table and 2 Crossrhodes in a row and then counters out of the Tiger Driver easy no problem? And not much selling after he won either. Bullshit my friends, bullshit. Give me a Dustin TNT title run please and thank you.

MJF Myers, maybe?