DVDVR Message Board

Battle of the Belts 1 - 1/8/2022

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the other side of that is the Psycho Sid style "I've Had Enough" where the henchman/bodyguard stays heel and flips their former employer by beating them down too bad [after a championship bout loss]. 

Great idea except this was the biggest babyface move of Sid's career and he didn't go far enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Obviously Dustin wasn't gonna get the win, but his Canadian Destroyer off the apron through the table should've been it. That ruled. Definitely a bit sudden/abrupt for an interim title so soon. 

Riho is always greatness. Again, no chance she was winning but the match was still pretty great. Some nice exchanges and counters throughout. Add me to wanting these to be longer/bigger in the future. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Great idea except this was the biggest babyface move of Sid's career and he didn't go far enough.

not right away, but a year and a half later he hit HBK where it hurt him the most by actually pinning him for a championship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

Obviously Dustin wasn't gonna get the win, but his Canadian Destroyer off the apron through the table should've been it. That ruled. Definitely a bit sudden/abrupt for an interim title so soon. 

Depends on how sick Cody is. If they expect him to be gone a while, makes sense to do it on the show named Battle of the Belts.

When the show was first announced, I thought it was going to be champion vs. champion non-title matches. Since it was of the belts, not for the belts. Then it wasn't til this week I realized the world title match wasn't on this special. I feel like maybe they'd have been better off running the two shows further apart, from a booking perspective if not from a marketing/ratings/tv time perspective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

not right away, but a year and a half later he hit HBK where it hurt him the most by actually pinning him for a championship.

Survivor Series 1996. Found it funny Shawn Michaels getting booed. The Rock debuted and Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin was terrific.

47 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Depends on how sick Cody is. If they expect him to be gone a while, makes sense to do it on the show named Battle of the Belts.

He said it was a family member that was sick so he and Brandi are just in isolation/quarantine as long as needed

I just watched it because Dallas Cowboys first, everything else second.  Main Event was fucking great.  Riho is so good.  Britt Baker was good too.  I like how they kept giving Riho comebacks as a result of Team DMD being dipshits or being DUPLICITOUS!  I dig Riho's myriad of finishers and I dug that Baker whipped all of her finishers- the Air Raid Crash, that head stomp, that Red Velvet's finisher, and then the actual finisher.  That was good.  I really dug that Dustin/Sammy match.  I not sure what was going on with Dustin early.  I dug that epicness that it attained, culminating in the Canadian Destroyer through the table.  I see that Rey Fenix hasn't calmed down AEW's tablelust.  I am sooo stoked about Sammy/Daniel Garcia.  Matt Sydel looked about as good as I've ever seen him.  It was a good cool down match that heated up postmatch.  That was a good little wad of wrestling!  YAY! AEW RULES!

• Like 10

Hard agree with you @DEANand @Curt McGirtabout Dustin grabbing us early on with the acting blown up. I thought that was a really nice touch, great match. 

edit: part of me wishes we could've gotten a Dustin win, to set up Cody/Dustin II. I don't know if they could come close to the first, but I loved that one. Sure, it wouldn't have the same "I need my brother" emotional depth, but Cody utilizing more heelish tactics this time would be an interesting enough twist on the formula to make up for it, IMO.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Dustin's 'I'm blown up' comedy spot was really jarring and really stoopid.  One of the coaches might want to explain to Sammy how ridiculous sticking his tongue out is as a babyface?  All his mannerisms are shit-heelish.  Part of me likes that he's still the asshole he was, but it would be smart for him to find something new that ppl can get behind.  The opening stretch of this match was a slog.  Tho, it got going down the stretch and finished nicely.  This whole 'Interim Champion' thing is incredibly lame.  Complaints aside, the post match setting up Garcia-Guevera and Sammy's promo were both excellent.  Stoked for Garcia-Sammy. 

Has the love for Ricky Starks passed?  I hope not and I hope he's healthy enough to work regularly again.  FTW title needs to be Hennig'd and hammered and thrown in the trash immediately.  Taz's commentary during his charge's matches often comes off as really lame. 

Baker-Riho was okay.  Hayter dropping the belt before the match seemed like a bad improvisation.  I love Jamie, but she was trying too hard to convey her story here.  I really hated Rebel's blatant cheating in front of the ref only to stick around until later when the ejection spot was ready.  Dumb.  I didn't bite on this match as much as I would have like to.  Britt's a star on the mic, but her recent in ring suggests there's still room to improve. 

Unfortunately, nothing about this show felt special or fun.  But that was pretty obvious going in.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

I get that we just got an incredible world title match for free on Wednesday but maybe don't do this:

AEW Battle of the Belts

if tonight's card is what we ended up with. 

Also, Jim Ross came back fired up and last two shows he's been very subdued. I can only begin to imagine how difficult his battle has been and that would explain it but I don't think I've ever heard him more sedated than tonight. 

What is wrong with it? If you were there live, you had every title defended. 

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

So if they're pulling the trigger on Wardlow fucking up MJF soon, no way they do the same story with Hayter at the same time. But Hayter is the only credible and immediate challenge to the title that Britt hasn't beaten and they're building obvious tension despite how tonight ended. Britt has kinda cleared out the division of interesting challengers minus Jamie. 

Well her and Rosa are 1-1 with Rosa holding the second win

Only watched the opener so far but that was a pretty good match between those two, the triple springboard Swanton to the outside by Sammy was crazy. Loved the show of respect at the end which wasn’t dragged out and felt natural (eh).

Also, the post match pull apart brawl is probably one of the most realistic looking ones they’ve ever done because Garcia looks like a guy that would be looking for a fight on a random night out outside a bar.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Also, the post match pull apart brawl is probably one of the most realistic looking ones they’ve ever done because Garcia looks like a guy that would be looking for a fight on a random night out outside a bar.

Garcia was shooting(grappling kind of shooting) on Sammy, and making him look bad. Eventually he gave Sammy the top position, but it was clearly up to him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Garcia was shooting(grappling kind of shooting) on Sammy, and making him look bad. Eventually he gave Sammy the top position, but it was clearly up to him.

Well Sammy was just in a match so made sense that a fresh guy would get the upper hand. It didn’t come off as him looking bad to me.

• Like 4

I don't know if Baker has cleared out the women's division just yet.

Per Cagematch, since winning the title, she's defended it successfully against Nyla, Conti, Red Velvet, Statlander, Ruby, and Riho. She also has non-title wins over Anna Jay and Abadon.

You still have a match with Thunder Rosa on the table -- you could easily do a title match around the time of the first anniversary of the Lights Out Match between the two. I can also see the winner of the Shida/Deeb match later this week challenging Baker -- Baker/Deeb could be fun, and you can also do the "rematch clause" gimmick for Shida.

• Like 1

There was a scary moment where I thought we had another injury situation on our hands when Riho and Jamie did that table spot that ended with the table and Riho coming down on Jamie’s leg.

I love AEW but they need to pull back a little on the garbage stuff.  Especially spots like that one, which don’t seem very well thought out.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

Yeah but we know it's not going to be Rosa because she's occupied with Martinez now and likely to be the one to dethrone Britt, which doesn't feel like it's happening anytime soon. 

14 hours ago, Jiji said:

So if they're pulling the trigger on Wardlow fucking up MJF soon, no way they do the same story with Hayter at the same time. But Hayter is the only credible and immediate challenge to the title that Britt hasn't beaten and they're building obvious tension despite how tonight ended. Britt has kinda cleared out the division of interesting challengers minus Jamie. 

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

That's the biggest match left, Dr Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa. Remember a few months back Rebel and Hayter weren't allowed to say her name around Baker? Nice touch that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colonial said:

I don't know if Baker has cleared out the women's division just yet.

Per Cagematch, since winning the title, she's defended it successfully against Nyla, Conti, Red Velvet, Statlander, Ruby, and Riho. She also has non-title wins over Anna Jay and Abadon.

You still have a match with Thunder Rosa on the table -- you could easily do a title match around the time of the first anniversary of the Lights Out Match between the two. I can also see the winner of the Shida/Deeb match later this week challenging Baker -- Baker/Deeb could be fun, and you can also do the "rematch clause" gimmick for Shida.

I don't think Shida is a realistic threat to the title. That would be like one of those Kenny Omega defenses or the Riho match last night. Not talking kayfabe wise but for shootskies. Division is heading towards that Omega/Hangman territory of predictability and it feels like we are waiting for Rosa to get to Britt. Hayter would be fresh and interesting but I don't think they'd belt somebody they've given about 30 seconds of mic time in 5 or so months of TV. 

Edit: to elaborate, I don't think you can go from a charismatic supernova like Baker to really great wrestler that they don't yet have faith in to cut promos. Rosa is really their only option unless you go back to Nyla Rose at this point and that seems unlikely. 

Edited by Jiji

16 hours ago, DEAN said:

I guess Jade Cargill is wrestling on Dark.  I SAY THEE NAY!

I see from the cagematch.net results that I am a LIAR!  All titles were defended (except the NWA women's title!  WHAT ABOUT THAT?!?) I hope they show the six man elimination for the world title.  That sounds like a hoot.

15 hours ago, Jiji said:

I think it's pretty clearly going to be Ruby in a "Can she win the big one?" storyline. They already had Britt and company mock Ruby after losing the TNT finals and Ruby has now lost her two big opportunities (vs Britt after winning the battle royal and against Jade in the finals). So I kinda think they'll have Ruby go for Britt and maybe have Britt/Hayter dissension lead to Ruby getting the win.

Personally, i think it'd be more entertaining to use her in a semi-face role for a bit and try to fend off Allie and Penelope after that bloodbath kinda elevated them.

• Like 3