DVDVR Message Board

Battle of the Belts 1 - 1/8/2022

I hate to sound ungrateful, but I really wish this were a two hour show. Starks vs Sydal has some real banger potential, hopefully Starks is comfortable with his neck and good to go. Again, I am begging for some direction with the FTW title, but glad to see it featured here

• Like 5

Yeah, I really hope the next show is 2 hours and more clash-like. Like a named Dynamite basically. This feels pretty random now other than Riho and Britt.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I really hope the next show is 2 hours and more clash-like. Like a named Dynamite basically. This feels pretty random now other than Riho and Britt.

Agreed - on a side note, while i like both ladies a lot, the build to this one has me more interested in the eventual Britt vs Hayter

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Spelling
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Shows going on, but I want to make a prediction. Riho is winning the belt. They are really hammering home the “Never beaten Riho” thing. 

I think Britt breaks the curse.  Riho's got too much challenger's momentum going into this match not to somehow lose tonight.  If Riho wins, I'll be shocked.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Women's match was pretty awesome.  I like the teased dissention to make you believe Riho had a shot.  I am sorta hoping Hayter turns face and challenges Britt, though.  That's probably the best that Britt has looked in her entire career and Riho leaned into everything.

Starks vs. Sydal was a perfectly fine AEW Dynamite mid-card main.  Sets the table for Hobbs vs. Martin next Wednesday.  

I was pulling for Dustin even though I knew he was going to lose.  There was even a little comedy as Dustin put over Sammy's speed by kayfabe blowing up.  It's a young man's game, Dustin.  Looking forward to Sammy vs. Garcia next Wednesday.  Not looking forward to title unification match.

• Like 4

So if they're pulling the trigger on Wardlow fucking up MJF soon, no way they do the same story with Hayter at the same time. But Hayter is the only credible and immediate challenge to the title that Britt hasn't beaten and they're building obvious tension despite how tonight ended. Britt has kinda cleared out the division of interesting challengers minus Jamie. 

21 minutes ago, EVA said:

Time to put a moratorium on seconds bringing out tables, after that happening 3 times this week.

Yeah, earlier this week it was Cartwheels Cartwheels Cartwheels and tonight it was When Friends Bringing Tables Goes Horribly Wrong.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

So if they're pulling the trigger on Wardlow fucking up MJF soon, no way they do the same story with Hayter at the same time. But Hayter is the only credible and immediate challenge to the title that Britt hasn't beaten and they're building obvious tension despite how tonight ended. Britt has kinda cleared out the division of interesting challengers minus Jamie. 

Although I 100% agree with you on spacing them out, I sadly could see AEW doing the same story like this at the same time. Same show, back to back segments. Both doing Batista’s thumbs down.

• Haha 3

I get that we just got an incredible world title match for free on Wednesday but maybe don't do this:

AEW Battle of the Belts

if tonight's card is what we ended up with. 

Also, Jim Ross came back fired up and last two shows he's been very subdued. I can only begin to imagine how difficult his battle has been and that would explain it but I don't think I've ever heard him more sedated than tonight. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

The Dustin match was great. I'm calling it that because Dustin legitimately pulled the wool over my eyes by blowing up so early and often that I thought it was a shoot and we might end up with a backstage heart attack or something. I was concerned. THAT, my friends, is real workrate. The pull-apart looked really legit and then Sammy's comments post-match were perfectly succinct. "I don't give a shit about that guy. You try and mess up my moment, I'm gonna mess up your face." (or something like that)

Sydal is a mat wizard but yeah that crowd was dead dead dead. Hobbs vs. Dante is gonna be great. 

I had no investment in the main at all. Britt is still hit or miss and I don't want Riho as champ. Match came off fine though, and Reba laying there selling with hair in her mouth was hilarious. Were they trying to tease some dissention or something? 

• Like 2

Started a little rough but Britt/Riho was fine once they got going. I knew she didn't stand a chance but I was rooting for the Riho upset lol At this point, I wonder who's next for Britt. Maybe finally pulling the trigger on the Jamie dissension, which was in full effect tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Wardlow has seemed to be camping on the "henchman turns face" arc since the beginning of MJF's heel run, but the other side of that is the Psycho Sid style "I've Had Enough" where the henchman/bodyguard stays heel and flips their former employer by beating them down too bad [after a championship bout loss].  Since I've never seen Hayter work from the face side (and why give up the pun of having a Heel named Hayter/Hater, anyway?) and Dr. Baker was originally planned to be a babyface but didn't take to it yet, it's easy for me to envision doing this mirror version of the arc.  It'd be kinda weird for a company to do both sides of the coin at close to the same time, but it wouldn't be too out of place in AEW at it's most E-Fedish.

[Besides, who was Baker's heel opponent for her babyface showcase match in her hometown at the very beginning of Dynamite two years ago?  Why, yes, it was Hayter in her previous incarnation/first pre-COVID cup of coffee with the company.]

I know I've been trying to call my shot on the coup d'etat angle as long as there's been a heel faction for it to happen in so forgive me for beating the drum again, but I gotta be right eventually right? ?

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1