DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 1/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Peck said:

To be fair, Cole was practically caressing that knee in the "kneebar". 

And Atlas didn’t immediately tap out either, so it obviously wasn’t too painful of a submission. It was a nice way to cover an injury IMO.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

Ruby Soho should use this as a finisher.

Especially if she can hit it like that and then roll through for the pin.

I thought it was a great match, I liked Ruby Riho as a tag team and hope they work together as a duo again. It was cool that they tried some combination moves even though they were just a “thrown together” team. Also, Hayter and Britt both chose violence yesterday.

• Like 3

Quick thoughts:

Cole vs Atlas: There were some dancy bits early where they were missing moves in succession that looked and felt very choreographed. It settled in more later but it still had a big "Your move, my move" overlay to me. I'm not saying that might not have been the match both guys needed but it wasn't really for me even if, at times, the execution of what they were doing (after that opening stretch) was very good as was Cole's portrayal of emotion and character. I thought they handled the end (including the post-match) well, but I'm not sure the Best Friends program needs to continue.

HOOK vs Solo: I actually don't remember a single thing Solo did in this, which tracks with every other Solo match I've ever seen, though he held up his end in general. QT causing HOOK to be in some trouble was good. The suplexes were good. HOOK didn't seem to get the grip on the Redrum immediately but he recovered well. This was fine and he'll keep progressing. HOOK vs Comoroto would be good. HOOK vs Ogogo probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Ruby Riho vs Team DMD: I liked the Ruby/Riho tandem stuff in theory but in practice, it didn't come off as smooth. Hayter and Baker's tandem stuff was great. Ruby's probably best when she's working sympathetically from underneath and she did that well here. The commentary logic of keeping Riho out so she wouldn't be able to get a feel for Baker was pretty goofy since they've wrestled a bunch of times before and she can still scout her from the apron. Wearing her down before the match would have made more sense. The finish was good as it builds that slow, slow tease for whenever the split happens.

Main event: I don't want to be mean about this, because the effort and layout were both very good last week, but a brawl like this exposes what happened last week as a lot of bells and whistles. This didn't need any of that and it was still really good and gripping. I liked how P&P's double teams (which I usually groan at) worked as a tool for them whenever things actually did make it back into the ring. Kingston's selling and defiance was spot on as always as was Garcia's dickish targeting of the leg on the outside. It felt wonky that after they eliminated Kingston and then had a theoretical numerical advantage they still won. Maybe you could play it up that they paid some sort of cost by being so focused on him, but it was wonky. I would have liked this more if it ended after the bell shot.

• Like 2

I thought Cole improvising a kneebar finish, without even torqueing the leg at all, was genius. Like, obviously Atlas couldn't take the Panama Sunrise, and dragging him to the middle of the ring to hit the running knee wouldn't be the smartest thing either. Whereas, now (in storyline) he gets to be the evil bastard who targeted a legit injured limb, despite the fact that in reality he did everything he could to protect Jake and not injure him any further.

• Like 9

Yeah, Ruby Riho’s victory roll flippy doo into a spear was, as you said, cool in theory but ugly in execution.  Ruby is charismatic and usually an above average worker, but is absolutely proof positive that you can be good at wrestling without necessarily being athletic.  

Edited by Technico Support

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, Ruby Riho’s victory roll flippy doo into a spear was, as you said, cool in theory but ugly in execution.  Ruby is charismatic and usually an above average worker, but is absolutely proof positive that you can be good at wrestling without necessarily being athletic.  

By that logic bring on Punk/Soho vs Danielson/Deeb.

• Like 5

Alright show. The Hook match was my favorite. Main was kind of a house show street fight and felt strangely long. 

EDIT: I see everybody is complaining about Dustin vs. Sammy. Since when does anybody posting here complain about having to watch a Dustin Rhodes match?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finally watched, I liked the show.

Cole vs Atlas was really good, my first time seeing Jake Atlas wrestle. WWE let this guy go? Really good they covered up the injury nicely. And I do like the idea of an Cole-Cassidy match.

Hooks whole presentation is money. They have something big on their hands if they play it right.

• Like 2