DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

23 minutes ago, driver said:

I liked how he talked about it being very easy for the cake angle being done to death in Memphis, but when you take it to a new territory it has fresh legs. I know Cornette did the cake angle at least three times(Chattanooga, Mid-South and JCP).

And Smokey with the Thrillseekers. 

yeah, not sure who is officially to blame for people saying Daws/Dahs for DOS but I was like "did I have it wrong all this time"

Also, the reaction to the cake angle also led to a few months of "Boyd Pierce reacting happily to the cake angle" being in the intro of the show

• Like 1

imagine if Vince was aware enough of the cake angles to have Lex Luger put Cornette's face in a cake as he attempted to celebrate Yokozuna retaining the title vs Luger in 1993

you'd think "toss people in a the pool" Vince would love cake-face angles too, unless cake was too fatty for him

Also, while i'm sure if Jimmy Hart came to Mid-South in 1984, the fans would be trying to murder him within a few weeks, Cornette sorta took seeing/being around Jimmy Hart and cranking it to a level where he was less likable and more annoying than Jimmy Hart

Wrestling 2 during 84 was so great too because he came off like the state champion football coach who has accumulated some enemies over the years because he would run them off the team or not give them their playing time, so when the coach is treating TA like that, it's kinda relatable for some people who have reasons to hate villainous old farts that ride on the glory of younger people?

On 3/21/2022 at 7:54 PM, Cobra Commander said:

imagine if Vince was aware enough of the cake angles to have Lex Luger put Cornette's face in a cake as he attempted to celebrate Yokozuna retaining the title vs Luger in 1993

you'd think "toss people in a the pool" Vince would love cake-face angles too, unless cake was too fatty for him

Also, while i'm sure if Jimmy Hart came to Mid-South in 1984, the fans would be trying to murder him within a few weeks, Cornette sorta took seeing/being around Jimmy Hart and cranking it to a level where he was less likable and more annoying than Jimmy Hart

Wrestling 2 during 84 was so great too because he came off like the state champion football coach who has accumulated some enemies over the years because he would run them off the team or not give them their playing time, so when the coach is treating TA like that, it's kinda relatable for some people who have reasons to hate villainous old farts that ride on the glory of younger people?

Wrestling 2 and Magnum TA were basically like Coach Kilmer and Mox in Varsity Blues. The fading but revered coach latching onto the young upstart. He doesn't agree with how the young guy does things but tolerates it for a time as it gets results but then finally does a full on heel turn against his protégé.

Cut to Barry Switzer watching Mid-South Wrestling seeing 2/Magnum and remarking about how much of an asshole coach II is

The year before early 1984, the two Oklahoma football coaches were guys who could have been pro wrestling villains. Switzer at OU and Jimmy Johnson at OSU (Jimmy started at Miami in 1984). The most “normal” coach in the state was probably John Cooper at Tulsa, who went on to coach at Ohio State in the 90s.

Wrestling II was older than Switzer and Jimmy and he sounded older than 50. So he kinda had to be the coach that ran his own system for decades, won multiple titles, and ran off anybody who challenged him.

There was a legendary high school basketball coach around here named Bud Lathrop who won 955 games, was suspended for paddling players who missed free throws during a drill, and kinda looked like an older Bill Watts.

Aside from Coach Buzz Stern, I think the guys ripping off coaches in wrestling have found more material from football than from the lunatics coaching basketball.

• Like 1

I finally listened to Between The Sheets from two weeks ago a few days ago. At first the 4+ hr run time worried me, but there was nothing to worry about. Each segment rolled smoothly from one into the other and it didn't feel like 2 hrs. let alone 4. Keep up the great work.

I think its def best to listen in segments. I mean, it’s usually recorded on multiple days (i think our show last week was a rarity) so I think it’s better to listen over a couple days. The only exception for me is when I’m working Sunday night and I need material for the last 6 hours of my shift. ?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think its def best to listen in segments. I mean, it’s usually recorded on multiple days (i think our show last week was a rarity) so I think it’s better to listen over a couple days. The only exception for me is when I’m working Sunday night and I need material for the last 6 hours of my shift. ?

I listen as I drive between different customers and some days I'm out for 12-15 hrs.

I probably typed this already but the closest i've come to listening to BTS all at the same time was when they released the episode a few hours late.

If they release it at Midnight Eastern/11pm my time, then I listen to half right then and the rest the next Afternoon. I've tried listening to some of it while in bed but that sometime ends with me falling asleep during it.

I'd hate to imagine what kind of weird dreams I'd have if I fell asleep to wrestling podcasts. 

Looks like the new BTS is right at 6 hours.  My show was right around 4 I think, prob shortened by both Dave being monthly then and us not having more of the TV from that week for clips (no Memphis).  

I try my best to not fall asleep before putting the phone up on the charger. Fortunately I haven’t fallen asleep with the phone on the bed and unknowingly flung the phone to the floor, lately.

Most weeks I can find a natural stopping point around 2am my time. Which is around 2 1/2-3 hours into the show. This week I listened to a little more WSM Bluegrass/Classic Country radio than usual since the episode came out late (which of all weeks, a late episode on Wrestlemania Sunday isn’t a shocker)

Phil’s podcast going on a hiatus means my wrestling podcast listening schedule is currently just the McAdam podcast on Fridays and BTS Monday.

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I like them and all but after doing Teddy Hart and Jerry Lawler that doesn't seem fair.

It was pretty good and most of the source material comes from Luger's own book.

I've listened to both the Hart and Lawler episodes and my major takeaways are: 1. Teddy definitely loves cats and 2. Jerry wasn't as sleazy/creepy as I thought it would be.

I wasn't aware that Raven had a podcast until I saw someone mention it in the monthly thread. He's always been a favorite wrestling personality of mine and liked the video series he did on youtube several years back. Is his podcast worth checking out?