DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

I will miss Regal’s pod. It was always a fascinating listen. His meandering conversational style and unique mannerisms, accompanied by his wrestling mind and experience was a real treat and a one of a kind show. We’ll see what show replaces his feed.

I’m getting back to where I left off on Arn. Going through each year in the business. I’m at the early Horsemen era and the way these episodes play old promos to build up the storylines of the time is so captivating. Ole could talk!

The one thing I really found fascinating is the evolution of The Horsemen gimmick. At the beginning, they were just like a gang of "cousins" (Ole, Arn, Ric) and their buddies, JJ and Tully, that got together to fuck with Dusty and his friends. They were more of a rougher gang IMO. Jumping Dusty in the cage, the famous arm breaking angle, jumping MOrton in the dressing room, etc. Then when Ole left, the group evolved more into the "Symbol of Excellence" playboy, "we're richer and better than you", "Greed is Good" mentality that defined the 80s.

• Like 2

about the end of 85 is when JJ dumped all his non-Tully clients (so he was no longer slumming it with Ron Bass) and I guess eventually the group became a group with Flair as the undisputed leader with Ole gone?

watching a Summer 88 WCW episode and the Four Hoursemen on-screen graphic before their matches/interviews becomes a lot noticeable when they use it like 6 times in 2 hours.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd presume Budro and Bart were JJ's last charges before he hooked up with Tully Blanchard Enterprises and then the Horsemen. 

IIRC, JJ was Budro's manager when he (Buddy) was calling out Flair. That's what led to the famous, "I spent more on spilled liquour last year than you made!" promo from Flair.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

next week Between the Sheets will have the North-South Connection of Robert O'Connor and Beau James talking about 11 days in 1989 (which should get them back aligned after the week missed which led to doing November 1990 as today's episode)

First ever 12 hour episode of BTS? 

• Haha 2

On 12/12/2022 at 2:51 PM, Dewar said:

First ever 12 hour episode of BTS? 

for the record, this week's BTS episode is 6 hours/46 minutes long. The longest single episode since episode 369 (August 24-30, 1994) which was 6:41. Which was just 4 months ago since tonight is episode 384. So this length was close to the length where they split the episodes (a Beau episode in April this year was over 7 hours in 2 parts).

They had a two parter where both parts were over 4 hours once. So it's a podcast with insane lengths.

It's sad to see Regal's podcast come to an end but they just announced that Dax Hardwood is going to be doing a podcast on the same feed that Regal's was.  I was looking to unsubscribe but am now curious about what Dax has to say.  So far it sounds like it's going to be a good one.

EDIT:  After hearing the rest of the episode once people find out about this they're going to talk particularly about the last 10 minutes where he did word association.  I think he's not going to hold back and whether I agree with him or not (Punk part was eh for me personally) I appreciate his thought process.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you know that, in WWE tag matches, you can only legally break up a pin ONCE? If you do it again, your team gets disqualified and you lose anyway?

You'd think that they would tell people about that rule, so pin/sub breaks would be a big deal when they happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoFGxGhJkjU

Harry Smith confirming it here, 9 years ago.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:23 AM, AxB said:

Did you know that, in WWE tag matches, you can only legally break up a pin ONCE? If you do it again, your team gets disqualified and you lose anyway?

You'd think that they would tell people about that rule, so pin/sub breaks would be a big deal when they happen.

I think this was brought up when Bryan Danielson did that book of WWE rules a few years back. Once you hear about it you start to notice how its well its adhered to in WWE tags.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:23 AM, AxB said:

Tell that to the fucking 2K games.

• Harwood spoke about Mercedes Varnado (Sasha Banks): “I think that, just like me, I feel that sometimes she gets a bad rep because of how passionate she is and how much she wants. You know, she wants it all, but she wants to work for it. That’s the same with us. Like, I want everything in this business, but I want to work for it and I want you to know that I’m going to work hard for you, and that’s her, man. She knows what she deserves, and she knows what she’s earned, and she works her ass off to get it, and if she doesn’t get it, she feels slighted and she has a reason to feel that way. Huge star, huge heart, beautiful human being, the greatest woman wrestler of all time. I think she’s just incredible.”

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I’m 20 minutes in and I’m pumped up. Regal on Briscoe and Bradshaw’s podcast. It’s a non-stop Regal ramble. Love it!

Brisco and Bradshaw barely get a couple of sentences in during the entire show. And it's almost all about just his career before WCW.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, The Natural said:
  • Harwood spoke about Mercedes Varnado (Sasha Banks): “I think that, just like me, I feel that sometimes she gets a bad rep because of how passionate she is and how much she wants. You know, she wants it all, but she wants to work for it. That’s the same with us. Like, I want everything in this business, but I want to work for it and I want you to know that I’m going to work hard for you, and that’s her, man. She knows what she deserves, and she knows what she’s earned, and she works her ass off to get it, and if she doesn’t get it, she feels slighted and she has a reason to feel that way. Huge star, huge heart, beautiful human being, the greatest woman wrestler of all time. I think she’s just incredible.”

I’m not doubting she’s a beautiful human, but to say Sasha Banks is the greatest female wrestler of all time screams two things: 1) she’s best friends with Dax or 2) she’s headed to AEW.

Unless either of those are true then there’s no way he should be thinking and voicing that opinion. She’s not even the best of her former group of friends (Bayley, Becky, and Charlotte).

On one level I can accept him not saying Manama Toyota or Akira Hokuto, they didn’t have big runs in American TV companies. Megumi Kudo and Shinobu Kandori never wrestled outside of Japan at all, AFAIK. But Bull Nakano was WWF women’s champion! Aka Kong has multiple AEW matches! And he ignores them? Bloody criminal, that.

• Like 1