DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Hokuto was on Nitro a few times, right? Maybe a ppv? 

Starrcade 96 or 97 iirc. Whenever they did the torunament to decide the women's title. She faced Medusa in the finals. 

I doubt there are a super large amount of guys who really watched much joshi wrestling so I'm never shocked when guys answer someone more recent as the greatest. Even moreso in Dax's case considering FTR and Sasha have never exactly hidden their friendship.

Despite crappy booking I do think modern greats are comparable in talent at this point to what we had in 80-90s AJW/joshi. They just lack the stories/booking they had back then to make their stuff as memorable.

Edited by Eivion

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was thinking more people inside the business than fans. 

Gotcha. I knew/know many workers who like the joshi, but I could not give you a percentage. it probably skews towards the younger folk who watch older wresting. I have met lady workers who are not up on it at all, however.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

If someone feels that Sasha is the best women's wrestler ever (even if you have to put on the American side of the ledger as a disclaimer) I really wouldn't feel the need to argue the point

Just the fact she takes her ball and goes home every time she dislikes the booking is why I took issue with it. Other than Austin when he had a fit about jobbing to Brock, and HBK in the 90’s you don’t usually see the top male talent pull that same stunt. 

I never really see anyone name a male GOAT that has done that, or that has had a run as short as hers when you include her time off for different reasons. 

Personally I’d say she’s not even the best WWE superstar (female wise) of the last decade. But I’m not her close personal friend, or working for a company that promotes Saraya like she’s the second coming either (that I found extremely laughable).

You never see male stars do that! Anyway, here's 2 of the biggest male stars in history who did exactly that.

And for longevity, Sasha has wrestled for 12 years. Plenty of time for someone to consider her the greatest if they are inclined. Austin, since he was mentioned, only wrestled 13 and a half years. Hell, Jim Brown only played 9 seasons and many still consider him the GOAT football player

• Like 1

Depends on what you value in wrestling. Due to the nature of the business, someone's definition of GOAT may not be strictly tied to ring performance. And even if it is, there are so many styles of wrestling, someone's preference may make them prefer say a brawler, or a World of Sport style wrestler, or a luchador, etc.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

You never see male stars do that! Anyway, here's 2 of the biggest male stars in history who did exactly that.

And for longevity, Sasha has wrestled for 12 years. Plenty of time for someone to consider her the greatest if they are inclined. Austin, since he was mentioned, only wrestled 13 and a half years. Hell, Jim Brown only played 9 seasons and many still consider him the GOAT football player

I wouldn’t compare her to Austin or Jim Brown. I get from having seen clips why people consider Jim Brown to be in that discussion, and I lived through the Attitude Era and watched Austin in WCW before that so I get why he’d make top 5 lists for sure. 

And wow, I named two males because they’re literally the only two top male stars to do it. There’s many more male stars in promotions than female ones. So to have it be 2-1 isn’t that great a look for Sasha. 

Agree to disagree on her being GOAT too. I’ve said my peace about where I’d rank her amongst her friends.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Trying to diminish Steve Austin's credentials so that you can justify Sasha Banks being mentioned in the same breath is some next-level cope

She's on the level of Jake Roberts going to WCW in 1992 - the difference is, Jake didn't burn a bridge on his way out of WWE

Jake Roberts didnt have a burgeoning Hollywood career

I like Sasha. I like her look and demeanor and shtick and I think bell-to-bell she's comfortably the best Horsewoman.

Sasha is also one of the least natural talkers in the entire wrestling industry. The connection between her brain and mouth is not cut out for public speaking. The only other current main event-level talents on her level that I can think of are Kenny Omega and Ronda Rousey, they just don't speak in patterns and emote like real people when they're holding a microphone. So I'm still baffled by Sasha's Hollywood dabbling. Did she ever have speaking lines in The Mandalorian? Can she get by in a studio setting or does she just stand around and look tough? Cause I have no idea how sheds parlay her WWE mic chops into a real acting career. I'd so much rather her be a joshi workrate freak with a CBD line as a side hustle.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

57 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I wouldn’t compare her to Austin or Jim Brown. I get from having seen clips why people consider Jim Brown to be in that discussion, and I lived through the Attitude Era and watched Austin in WCW before that so I get why he’d make top 5 lists for sure. 

And wow, I named two males because they’re literally the only two top male stars to do it. There’s many more male stars in promotions than female ones. So to have it be 2-1 isn’t that great a look for Sasha. 

Agree to disagree on her being GOAT too. I’ve said my peace about where I’d rank her amongst her friends.

I’m not saying she’s the GOAT, my vote is Hokuto, I just disagree with your reasons for disqualifying her. Wrestling is a silly thing to get into fights about, so I’m willing to leave it there, as a difference in opinion 

• Like 3