DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

Regal's pod has gotten a lot better and is delightful to listen to.  They did a Q&A  one episode then covered NXT Arrival on the most recent one.  Both were incredibly insightful and if you're a wrestler this is a must.

• Like 1

Mox on Renee's podcast is really good. I had to get some busywork done this afternoon and made it through the first hour and a half at 1.5x speed and it's very good. A lot about the decision to go to rehab and how wrestling is like comics and how the BCC was NOT the plan and the baby. Especially recommend it to people who have read the book as it's like the next two chapters.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Mox on Renee's podcast is really good. I had to get some busywork done this afternoon and made it through the first hour and a half at 1.5x speed and it's very good. A lot about the decision to go to rehab and how wrestling is like comics and how the BCC was NOT the plan and the baby. Especially recommend it to people who have read the book as it's like the next two chapters.

Yeah, I thought it was great. He was really thoughtful on both life and wrestling & you could tell his heart just melted when he talked about his kid. Very sweet. Made me want to pick up his book.

• Like 3

I really like Regal’s podcast. I think he does a good job talking about the craft of wrestling and how he draws in influences and why Sami Zayn had such an appeal and etc.

I really would love to hear a wrestler podcast done with someone who actually knows how to interview people professionally as opposed to whoever these people are. That could really help draw more out of people when they are being interviewed as opposed to how they usually operate. 

• Thanks 1

I find it hard to fathom that folks are nervous to mention Jim Cornette's "podcast" (I listen to the topics on YouTubes) when I am certain that he has many listeners here. I mean, I pass on almost all of his reviews of modern stuff he does but there is lots of great historical stuff in there. A couple recent longer pieces, one on his tape collection (mentioned above) and another on the territories were great. His takes on psychology and gimmicks are solid, and the road stories from all the places he has worked are classic. No, I do not agree with all his opinions, and the humor is often puerile, but I am a big boy.

The hard shell of old age calcifies around me, pt. 268 - I have never listened to talk radio and rarely listen to podcasts, but I now listen to my "stories" (the JC stuff) in the kitchen as I cook dinner for my unappreciative family, and get huffy when they come in and disturb me. 

"I grow old ... I grow old ...

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."

- by another old codger with whom I do not agree fully but who also made some Great Art

• Like 7

When I was a kid (in the late 90's) PWI would every once in a while would rerun an article from the 70's about Dusty in Texas or Ox Baker. I ate that stuff up as I love history. Today JC podcast scratches that same itch when he talks about Hogan working Lawler in Memphis or something to that effect. However I've given up on listening to him talk about modern wrestling as even though I think he has a lot of solid analysis to offer he too often seems to lapse in to his "old man yelling at a cloud" gimmick

• Like 1

Fans of historical stuff should listen to Al Getz’ pod too, since it skews older and talks largely about a not we’ll-known promotion (McGuirk before Watts buys it). Same for Breaking Kayfabe and McAdam’s pod. Solomon’s pod now too.  And of course, BTS.

definitely some good options for folks who want history. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

[...] However I've given up on listening to him talk about modern wrestling as even though I think he has a lot of solid analysis to offer he too often seems to lapse in to his "old man yelling at a cloud" gimmick

I can see where you are coming from, but as a guy who doesn't like almost all of today's stuff, I don't really think it's a gimmick. Simply because I catch myself having similar reactions and I have nobody to entertain. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I find it hard to fathom that folks are nervous to mention Jim Cornette's "podcast" (I listen to the topics on YouTubes) when I am certain that he has many listeners here. I mean, I pass on almost all of his reviews of modern stuff he does but there is lots of great historical stuff in there. A couple recent longer pieces, one on his tape collection (mentioned above) and another on the territories were great. His takes on psychology and gimmicks are solid, and the road stories from all the places he has worked are classic. No, I do not agree with all his opinions, and the humor is often puerile, but I am a big boy.

The hard shell of old age calcifies around me, pt. 268 - I have never listened to talk radio and rarely listen to podcasts, but I now listen to my "stories" (the JC stuff) in the kitchen as I cook dinner for my unappreciative family, and get huffy when they come in and disturb me. 

"I grow old ... I grow old ...

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."

- by another old codger with whom I do not agree fully but who also made some Great Art

On 1/14/2022 at 12:27 AM, AxB said:

Technico Support

• Technico Support
  • Members
  • LocationThe Land of Pleasant Living
  On 11/9/2021 at 11:52 PM, christopher.annino said:

I guess it's just more trying to figure out people here, where they draw the line. To me, it's absolutely bonkers that anybody still listens to a word that dude says despite him being a real piece of shit human. At what point do you say, "okay his insights are great but I gotta stop supporting this dude's work"?

This is exactly what gets me.  I like everyone here despite some disagreements and heated exchanges from time to time.  I have decent opinions of most of you.  So I'm kind of boggled by the "take the good with the bad" approach to Cornette that I can't see decent people taking.  How much is too much?  If he outright called Kenny a "faggot" instead of slyly saying "twinkletoes," would that be enough for you?  If he tossed out the N word for Jade and called her a tranny or shemale instead of saying the oh so clever "looks like Shelton Benjamin in drag," would that be enough?  He's mixing up his Japanese women and saying "it doesn't matter!"  Ostensibly because all those nip slant bitches look alike and are just fetish toys for yellow fever weeaboos, right bros? 

I mean Jesus fucking Christ, how much hate speech is enough for you to say, "I don't care about this guy's good content, I can't tacitly support hate anymore?"  Y'all just denying it and looking the other way because he's being 1% more covert about it than the racist uncle you try to avoid on Thanksgiving. 

Apparently you missed this.

• Thanks 1

Listened to what I believe isn't all of the Mox/Renee podcast (it cut off at an hour and 12 minutes but he was still going, and I couldn't find another link) and that was a really good listen. All the booze stuff? That's how it really is. 

Listening to that I get the feeling that Mox would be a ride-or-die buddy in real life and that's pretty rare. Either that or we'd hate each other because we're too similar, but I doubt it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I can see where you are coming from, but as a guy who doesn't like almost all of today's stuff, I don't really think it's a gimmick. Simply because I catch myself having similar reactions and I have nobody to entertain. 

See I think he generally telling his truth but his gimmick went from long ass rants about "shitstain" to long rants about Kenny and The Bucks or Firefly funhouse or what ever. And he leans into the insulting nicknames and what have you too much. Plus when something goes against his 1978 view of wrestling and works he seems to not want to give credit where credit is due

On 7/2/2022 at 10:45 AM, AxB said:

Apparently you missed this.

I did not. Are you saying that it (workers sleeping with underage fans) did not happen? That statement does not necesarily mean that he is dismissing it or defending it. When I listen to David Bowie or Iggy Pop or Robert Plant -ad infinitum- I do so to listen to music, not to condone their admitted congress with underage groupies. There is a line. Art Barr, Ted Nugent, Joey Ryan -- all creep me out and should be righteously shunned. There is context, and I would listen to a discussion of this, but not when I want to listen to wrestling talk. I am sure that everyone has there "untouchable" lists, and that is fine, but there are also folks condemning fans for not abandoning pro wrestling fandom forever for the crimes of some.

I can appreciate some peoples reaction to JC for the above and other stuff, but that is not my reaction, and I don't think everyone has the the responses at all.

I do not want to start a conversation about identity politics and such on here, not because I do not think it's important but I don't think that a Wrestling Bulletin Board is a good spot for that (or really any place on the internet). I do not wish to judge or condemn anybody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So when people say "This person is constantly engaging in homophobia and I don't want to hear about them", your position is that you should be free to discuss that person anyway, because Identity Politics is a bad thing?

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I did not. Are you saying that it (workers sleeping with underage fans) did not happen? That statement does not necesarily mean that he is dismissing it or defending it. When I listen to David Bowie or Iggy Pop or Robert Plant -ad infinitum- I do so to listen to music, not to condone their admitted congress with underage groupies. There is a line. Art Barr, Ted Nugent, Joey Ryan -- all creep me out and should be righteously shunned. There is context, and I would listen to a discussion of this, but not when I want to listen to wrestling talk. I am sure that everyone has there "untouchable" lists, and that is fine, but there are also folks condemning fans for not abandoning pro wrestling fandom forever for the crimes of some.

I can appreciate some peoples reaction to JC for the above and other stuff, but that is not my reaction, and I don't think everyone has the the responses at all.

I do not want to start a conversation about identity politics and such on here, not because I do not think it's important but I don't think that a Wrestling Bulletin Board is a good spot for that (or really any place on the internet). I do not wish to judge or condemn anybody.

So let's make it about wrestling then.

When Jim Cornette calls Kenny Omega "twinkletoes" because he can't just outright call him a "faggot", is that okay?

When Jim Cornette says that Jade Cargill "looks like Shelton Benjamin in drag", is that okay?

When Jim Cornette says that all Japanese women do schoolgirl gimmicks so they can draw in the fetish audience, is that okay?

When Jim Cornette refuses to watch women's matches, but adamantly says they cannot draw and that they are poor workers, even though he has no basis for his opinion because he does not watch them, is that okay? (Caveat: I have no idea if he still does this, but when I was a regular listener, he would frequently skip the women's matches on shows "to save time" or "to catch up", with the excuse was that "it'd suck anyway".)

When Jim Cornette said that Renee Paquette had no place hosting WWE's pre-shows because "wrestling fans want a man hosting their television shows, they want male voices welcoming them", is that okay?

When Jim Cornette said that AEW missed a "big money opportunity" by not saying Nyla Rose was really a man and she should be protested by the rest of the division for having "unfair advantages", is that okay?

When Jim Cornette calls Jordynne Grace "Ol' Butterface Grace" for the dreadful sin of saying she preferred to think of wrestling as performance art, not a sport, is that okay?

Because these are all things he has done. And these are all things people handwave away by going "well he's a great resource on wrestling history!" In the thread @AxB is quoting from, I made the analogy that Jim Cornette was an encyclopedia of wrestling history, except he's covered in shit. If you choose to read a book covered in shit, then you probably need to acknowledge you might get some shit on you.

At some point, I just wonder, what exact monopoly does he have on wrestling history that people still feel the need to watch his shoot interviews and listen to his podcasts and absorb all his homophobia, transphobia, misogyny, and racism along with whatever else comes with it. Surely there has to be better options?

I'm sure there are people who will look at what he does and are able to separate his abhorrent views from his knowledge. If you can do that, then that is your choice. But you should probably know that there are people that are part of marginalized communities who will know that you might just value your personal entertainment over their safety as a result.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

So when people say "This person is constantly engaging in homophobia and I don't want to hear about them", your position is that you should be free to discuss that person anyway, because Identity Politics is a bad thing?

I do not think identity politics is a bad thing at all. I just do not want to debate it on a message board. Identity politics is a positive thing, and deserves proper discussion. 

I can listen to JC and go to sleep at night. I am not here to defend each and every one of his actions - in fact, I don't, but I can sometimes see where he is coming from, even when he is straight up wrong. He is a big boy too, and can accept responsibility for his fuck-ups and prejudices. I find it odd that here that folks are hesitent to use his name, but Benoit matches can be touted, and people can make jokes on Buck Zumhofe and Bob Sweetan. I don't think pro wrestling is performance art either and many wrestling may want a man to host a wrestling show (I dunno about that, but people are stoopid) but JC's childish personal attacks are wrong. 

The Saudi Shows were the last straw for me with the WWE, and I haven't given them a dime or any eyeball time since. If other people can support them with their viewship and money, it does not affect me. There are bigger battles than that.

In my life, I deal with, support, defend, love and debate with "marginalized communities" and the members therein. Life is hard, and we all have to work together, and try to understand each others deficiencies. NO, that does not refer to Cornette - that understanding is for how each of us deals with the shit just to get through the day. Is there anyone without some shit on them? I do appreciate when others can help me clean up some of that on me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I do not think identity politics is a bad thing at all. I just do not want to debate it on a message board. Identity politics is a positive thing, and deserves proper discussion. 

I can listen to JC and go to sleep at night. I am not here to defend each and every one of his actions - in fact, I don't, but I can sometimes see where he is coming from, even when he is straight up wrong. He is a big boy too, and can accept responsibility for his fuck-ups and prejudices. I find it odd that here that folks are hesitent to use his name, but Benoit matches can be touted, and people can make jokes on Buck Zumhofe and Bob Sweetan. I don't think pro wrestling is performance art either and many wrestling may want a man to host a wrestling show (I dunno about that, but people are stoopid) but JC's childish personal attacks are wrong. 

The Saudi Shows were the last straw for me with the WWE, and I haven't given them a dime or any eyeball time since. If other people can support them with their viewship and money, it does not affect me. There are bigger battles than that.

In my life, I deal with, support, defend, love and debate with "marginalized communities" and the members therein. Life is hard, and we all have to work together, and try to understand each others deficiencies. NO, that does not refer to Cornette - that understanding is for how each of us deals with the shit just to get through the day. Is there anyone without some shit on them? I do appreciate when others can help me clean up some of that on me.

My guess is that people don't mention Cornette's name because they don't want to be confronted by uncomfortable questions about the things Cornette has said. Not having discussions about the things he has said, or similar issues facing those marginalized communities that he has insulted/targeted, is a luxury that you get to opt out of.

Unfortunately, I don't get to opt out of those kinds of discussions in my everyday life. Whether I want to or not, I have to deal with the fallout of things like anti-trans bills and the similar rhetoric used like what Cornette said about Nyla Rose, because when you're a trans woman, people seem to think they have license to ask you every invasive question under the sun. Been asked about the status of your genitals lately, or if you've raped any women or children lately? I get asked at least once a week, either in person or other forums where I discuss trans matters and TERFs invade. It's not because I want to, it's because I'm six feet tall and open about being trans, and people feel very emboldened by the current political climate to ask shockingly personal questions (or in the case of that rape question, make horrific accusations).

So you say you can listen to Cornette and dislike his rhetoric, that you support the communities he attacks, but you should probably understand that people within those communities are going to take your stance with a grain of salt. (And some may take it with the whole shaker.) You should also probably understand that it's not the job of those within those communities to help you understand why people might be hurt that you continue to listen to someone that regularly attacks women, or queer folks, or trans people.

And we can say "well, it's just a podcast about wrestling". Is it? Or is it a podcast about wrestling with a coat of bigotry? And aren't there better sources to get your wrestling information that don't contain that bigotry? Because that's why I choose to engage. I'm legit curious about why people are that willing to take Cornette's bigotry if there are other sources that can supply the same and/or similar information.

Cornette listeners fall into three categories:

• Those who agree with every hateful thing he says
  • Those who don't agree but also don't care because it doesn't affect them; they're not in any of the groups he engages in hate speech against
  • Those who rationalize it with "it's just an act.  He's just joking around, being a carny, and it doesn't mean anything."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

And we can say "well, it's just a podcast about wrestling". Is it? Or is it a podcast about wrestling with a coat of bigotry? And aren't there better sources to get your wrestling information that don't contain that bigotry? Because that's why I choose to engage. I'm legit curious about why people are that willing to take Cornette's bigotry if there are other sources that can supply the same and/or similar information.

You asked the question a while back irrc, and I contemplated back then, and did so again just now. I'm 100% sure my attempt at an explanation will fail, but maybe I will be able to describe how I can listen to Cornette. 

I feel that I just hear and/or maybe remember the stuff differently. It may simply be because I have a totally different vita with totally different experiences and am not sensible to this. This isn't meant as shifting blame (aka "you're hearing it wrong"), it is meant more as a self reflective answer. 

I will take the Nyla Rose thing as an example. What stuck with me was that when Cornette had learnt that Nyla Rose was a transwoman, he said you could play it up as both, a great heel angle with a real-life base (transwomen in women sports is a real life discussion iirc) to it or a great babyface run with a woman fulfilling a difficult destiny after overcoming odds and finding her identity.

It sounded really simplified and probably extremely ignorant, but to me way different than you put it.

The stuff that affects me personally hits way farther from home and is not shit I have to endure on a daily base like you. It's also probably not as crucial for me. So I think I will never be able to explain why I can listen to a 4 hr program while at worst maybe cringing at stuff that is way worse than it sounds to me.

On a side note: I would not want to hang out with Cornette personally or anything. To me, he is too much of a insensitive asshole, albeit towards everyone and everything. But his podcast to me is lots of very valid criticism, good analysis and amazing wrestling history. With some stupid childish, cringe inducing shit. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

You asked the question a while back irrc, and I contemplated back then, and did so again just now. I'm 100% sure my attempt at an explanation will fail, but maybe I will be able to describe how I can listen to Cornette. 

I feel that I just hear and/or maybe remember the stuff differently. It may simply be because I have a totally different vita with totally different experiences and am not sensible to this. This isn't meant as shifting blame (aka "you're hearing it wrong"), it is meant more as a self reflective answer. 

I will take the Nyla Rose thing as an example. What stuck with me was that when Cornette had learnt that Nyla Rose was a transwoman, he said you could play it up as both, a great heel angle with a real-life base (transwomen in women sports is a real life discussion iirc) to it or a great babyface run with a woman fulfilling a difficult destiny after overcoming odds and finding her identity.

It sounded really simplified and probably extremely ignorant, but to me way different than you put it.

The stuff that affects me personally hits way farther from home and is not shit I have to endure on a daily base like you. It's also probably not as crucial for me. So I think I will never be able to explain why I can listen to a 4 hr program while at worst maybe cringing at stuff that is way worse than it sounds to me.

On a side note: I would not want to hang out with Cornette personally or anything. To me, he is too much of a insensitive asshole, albeit towards everyone and everything. But his podcast to me is lots of very valid criticism, good analysis and amazing wrestling history. With some stupid childish, cringe inducing shit. 

Cornette's specific comments, and these are not quotes as it has been a couple of years since I heard them, were that Nyla had "specific physical advantages" because she "was really a man" and it was "just simple science". Which 1) it's not simple science because that's not how transition works and 2) she's not a man, she's a woman. Maybe she doesn't meet Cornette's definition of a woman, or maybe she is a woman with an asterisk in his mind, but she's still a woman and deserving of the respect of not having her gender questioned for the sake of some short term angle.

For the record, I can go into a soliloquy about how the body changes during feminizing hormone replacement therapy, having been on it for six years now, but even after a year any of these "inherent physical advantages" people purport we have are gone. People assume that just because one has gone through a masculinizing puberty, it makes you freaking Superman or something, and it really doesn't. Nearly all my personal bests on my weightlifting have dropped to half of what they were, and I have a strap wrench to open especially difficult jars because my grip strength is a shadow of what it used to be.

ANYWAY.

The issue is that Cornette propagated a myth about trans women (that we're apparently super athletes capable of dominating any sport we enter, in spite of trans women competing in both amateur and professional sport for decades and having fleeting success at best - and demonized when that success occurs), having done no research on the topic, and positioned himself as an expert. And his Cult, as his fans call themselves, take his word as the gospel.

Do you see why someone might take a little bit of an issue with that? Especially as we're being attacked at the national level with the ferocity we're currently being attacked at?

If someone wants to listen to him, it's your... goodness gracious, his shows are four hours now? Four hours, I guess. Don't let me stop you. But I just ask, the merits people find in Cornette, are they not available elsewhere? Is it worth absorbing the cringe-inducing material? If the answer is yes, again, it's your four hours. I just don't see how it's worth it, personally.