DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

Conrad is decent enough with Bruce and Jarrett because you can tell they’re legit friends. I guess Tony too, but that’s more a podcast of two guys talking about stupid shit for two hours than it is a wrestling show.

Jarrett is great. Fascinating dude really, like he’s carny as hell but he had absolutely no choice in that given his genetics and upbringing, so he’s this extremely nice yet extremely carny individual. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:27 PM, davekool666 said:

Has anyone listened to Regal's podcast that dropped today and if so, how is it? And also, I deleted some podcasts that didn't interest me anymore, can someone recommend any other wrestling podcasts to add to my very small list?

Thanks in advance

I recommend Deadlock (recommended to me by @Jiji, I think).  I also recommend "We Watch Wrestling," which is hosted by Matt McCarthy, an actor, comedian, and former WWE writer, and his cohost, Vince Averil. 

I can't recommend Regal's pod enough.  This episode was a more focused on his addictions and how it factored into his runs in the late 90s.  It's obvious he still feels sorrow but there's also a theme of hope as he encourages those struggling to find their way to push on.  He also cleared up some rumors about things said about that timeframe which I found fascinating.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I can't recommend Regal's pod enough.  This episode was a more focused on his addictions and how it factored into his runs in the late 90s.  It's obvious he still feels sorrow but there's also a theme of hope as he encourages those struggling to find their way to push on.  He also cleared up some rumors about things said about that timeframe which I found fascinating.

I love how his roundabout rambling actually concisely tells a more full story and in the end paints a picture on the topic. It seems random at first but by the end it’s needed context to that time in his life. Regal is a beautiful storyteller.

• Like 2

I 100% feel for Koon trying to deal with Regal. If he doesn't figure out how to manage it, I'm not sure how many 1:44:00 podcasts I can listen to. There are good bits and Regal, in general, is good to listen to but it feels like he's almost covered 1/5th of his entire career in two weeks. Sort all of the big flashpoint moments. But that's not even the problem; in some ways, that's a positive. The issues are 2-3 fold:

1. Regal's self-deprecating to a fault. It's charming and admirable to start, but you get too deep into it where it becomes the answer to almost anything, or at least huge chunks of his career. It goes way past modesty to being actively detrimental in him explaining himself. He has a tendency to belittle any of his accolades or what makes him special instead of leaning into them at all in a way that might allow him to explain them or give context to them.
  2. It goes more than that though. He doesn't like to gossip, which is fine. He doesn't like to talk the tricks of the trade, though he'll mention a few. He doesn't like to look back and have regrets and has a nice quote for that. All of that is sort of ok. The place where it gets worse is that he seems to believe that you can't synthesize experiences and find greater wisdom or meaning in them. For episode too, Koon tried to wrap it all up in the end and it was a hell of an admirable effort from a guy who had completely lost control of his format and could barely ask any questions of Regal or get any specifics. He was able to maybe mention one date/show/specific thing that happened, because Regal was all over the place. But again, it was sort of interesting and fine and what people were there for. But he tried to bring it all home and bring it all together and had something going there (to the point where I'd say not everyone in the world could have managed it) and Regal just teared it all apart in a few dismissive words and I could feel the poor guy deflate.
  3. It was the same thing with the AEW podcast when Abrahantes tried to say that he respected Regal or Regal was respected and Regal was very much "Well, you can't respect someone if you don't know them, can you?" With that, it was fine because Abrahantes is a kind of a Secret-spouting QVC-hosting insipid positively engine (too harsh?) but it's really about anything. You have to constantly be on eggshells with Regal because if you try to delve for greater truths or truisms or commonalities or wisdom, or if you say anything passingly pleasant that most people would appreciate or at least understand what you're going for, he's just going to tear it down.

If I'm Koon, who I know nothing about by the way, I'd be excited about the challenge of this and adapting week to week, because I've come to believe that there IS a way to interview Regal successfully and go over these topics and lead him through things, but it's going to take some time to figure out and this whole endeavor might short circuit completely by then. I don't know how I'd do it personally yet, but I do know what I WOULDN'T do. I think a lot of it would be practical, factual questions (Let's go through the chain of events that led to X) and trying to lean more into specific stories about specific people (When you saw X again, do you recall...) and specific matches (So then you wrestled X. What can you remember about that match?). And I'm not at all sure that'd be the way to do it either.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Just get him to commentate the 60 minute Broadway he did with Robbie Brookside at the Power Plant. That's a hell of a show right there (and the match itself is free on YouTube, so no copyright issues).

Has he talked about that time Kendo Nagasaki hypnotised Brookside? He totally should.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Just get him to commentate the 60 minute Broadway he did with Robbie Brookside at the Power Plant. That's a hell of a show right there (and the match itself is free on YouTube, so no copyright issues).

I forget where (maybe on Renee's podcast), but he has talked at length about wrestling Brookside and how he laments there are so few actual matches between the two of them on tape and how that workout is one of the only ones; the other one is after Brookside's family gave him way too much food and he was tired and bloated.

I agree in theory that the pod is all over the place, but I feel this is more something that Koon should be able to roll with. After this and the first episode it is pretty clear that this will not be a Conrad style interview where it is this event, then this moment, then this happened. Let him flow, as an interviewer be more the sail then the motor. Regal being Regal was more interesting (to me) at creating the world of his life before the Man’s Man gimmick and why it failed, than a series of questions that form the narrative. Regal is a weird dude, I want to see how his mind operates and what dealing with him is like.

Now watch after this post the third ep being garbage and I take back everything I say.

33 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I agree in theory that the pod is all over the place, but I feel this is more something that Koon should be able to roll with. After this and the first episode it is pretty clear that this will not be a Conrad style interview where it is this event, then this moment, then this happened. Let him flow, as an interviewer be more the sail then the motor. Regal being Regal was more interesting (to me) at creating the world of his life before the Man’s Man gimmick and why it failed, than a series of questions that form the narrative. Regal is a weird dude, I want to see how his mind operates and what dealing with him is like.

Now watch after this post the third ep being garbage and I take back everything I say.

Yeah, my issue isn't actually the fact he goes all over the place. It's that he seems to deflate every possible thing that Koon might raise with everyone else. You can't treat Regal like he's Arn Anderson or Mick Foley or anyone else and it makes it interesting and compelling more on how Koon is going to deal with it or if he's going to deal with it. I get now why Conrad isn't doing this, not just due to time. Regal would crush Conrad's questions underfoot with a "Well, actually, that question that might be deep or relevant means nothing to me because I don't believe in the same things that 99% of the human race believe in and value. Instead, let me tell you the time that a lizard ate my toe and I worked six months without telling the office until it grew back due to reenergon I was buying at GNC. It was really my fault, you know."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Put me in there, Conrad. The questions will be conversation rambles that get answers the same way I get dogs to take their pills, hidden in bread. He struggles with taking compliments, so I won’t suck up to him or give vague praise. He clearly takes a lot of pride in being the contact for getting connected to other people (in a Barstool sports interview he ended by saying he has a lizard guy in the interviewers area that he could hook him up with), so instead of asking his thoughts on other’s perspectives or broad concepts, ask for him to elaborate on his relationships with given people. You’ll likely get stories with more telling answers then if you asked about that topic directly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Exactly. Like he brought up that he was in contact with Sammy Guevara and that can be talked about in the future. Ok, how did that relationship get established  and how was that process different or similar than other’s you’ve scouted? We’re these in person meetings or mostly phone calls? You hear he’s engaged to Tay Conti, let’s gossip about that. Chances are, each other those would lead to some long tale that opens up another nugget you can pick out. 

• Like 1

Between the Sheets this week has coverage of the UWF BEACH BRAWL!! which I absolutely must listen to either tonight or while at the office tomorrow. Abrams UWF is one of my biggest wrestling guilty pleasures and I’ll never get tired of watching that insanity or listening to podcasts about it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Secret-spouting QVC-hosting insipid positively engine (too harsh?)

Not at all.  Quite the contrary; this is poetry and, for a person sick of toxic positivity and seeing all these goofballs in "good vibes only" t-shirts, it's vital.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Dan Ryckert basically confirmed the New Day podcast appears to be done (and it was wrapped up in the same reasons that UUDD nearly died)

Ryckert continued on and talked about the ultimate demise of the New Day podcast and how he had to restrain himself from telling fans what was going on behind the scenes.

“There were business deals in place where we were required to do a certain amount of podcasts. WWE was on the hook to make a certain amount of podcasts, so they have to make it. Otherwise deals go bad if you don’t hold up on your end, so they kinda had to have [them]. For instance, New Day was one of the podcasts. There were three podcasts that I worked on that saw the light of the day. The New Day podcast was the most successful one we had, and I’m not gonna go into specific issues or anything but I’m sure a lot of people know the issues with downside guarantees or talent not getting paid for stuff. There’s a lot of headlines that have gotten out in the past year or so about wrestlers with Twitch channels or Up Up Down Down. The company was not doing right by talent. The New Day podcast, we stopped doing that because you’re on the hook to do a certain amount of podcasts with the business partner so it’s just like we’re just putting out Best Of’s. Indefinitely, we’re just playing all of the old episodes. It sucks seeing all the comments and stuff saying ‘When are you guys coming back?’ and none of us can say anything. Well there hasn’t been a new episode since September, or since Big E won the title or something. I’m always so transparent, I feel like you should always be transparent with the audience and to not even be able to tell them like ‘Hey look, there is no plans for this thing to come back’. I don’t know if they’re gonna bring it back or I don’t know their plans going forward or anything but as far as we know, we technically have to put out x amount of podcasts so keep cranking out the Best Of’s."

I'll throw this out here but on the last week's ep of we watch wrestling Matt was trying to figure out if anyone could figure out what the wrestling footage was playing when they show up in the lobby of elwood's apartment in the blues brothers.   Apparently Aykroyd dubbed the announcers and is naming random wrestlers in it.

• Like 1

Join us as we attempt to watch & review every Tom Zenk match we can get our hands on. 

Abyss To Zenk will chronicle and discuss many different wrestlers but naturally we start with The Z Man. 

The Can Am Connection vs The Islanders is the backdrop but we also talk about lots of other things that were happening on that day. 

Tune in or don’t, whatever.

Abyss To Zenk

Listening to Mox on Renee's podcast.  I'm loving a couple of things:

1. I love that Mox is a cheesy-ass dad like I was when my kids were babies.  Look at ALL OF MY BABY PICTURES NOW!!!

2. I love that BCC really hang out and train together. I'd pay a lot of money to be in their text chain.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 8:33 PM, odessasteps said:

The old folks here should definitely listen to the segment of  [that pod] when he discusses tape trading and the 70s/80s VCR wars between VHS and Beta. 

i don't know what [that pod] means, but i would like to listen to this part.  PM?

• Like 1