DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I thought it was also interesting that the Bearcat name was not intentionally a homage or nod to Bearcat Wright at all, and WWE specifically told Lee not to mention Wright. The whole thing is weird as hell.

Vince and Kevin Dunn probably thought the fans would confuse them both.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Regal will be on Talk is Jericho next week and reportedly it will talk about Regal's serious health issues that he alluded to in his promo

He covered a lot of that in his book. I’d rather hear him do an hour on reptiles and Big Daddy stories.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He covered a lot of that in his book. I’d rather hear him do an hour on reptiles and Big Daddy stories.

Dave seemed to imply the health issues are either new and/or more serious than he ever let on before

@Phil Schneider You’ve ever done a boxing podcast talking about classic matches? Been watching a ton of old stuff recently with an unbiased adults perspective, unlike when I was a kid, and took rooting interest in individual fighters. Would really love to hear you cover that stuff like you’ve done with wrestling on Way of The Blade.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dave seemed to imply the health issues are either new and/or more serious than he ever let on before

Got it. Hope that it's a misunderstanding and it's mostly the old issues being discussed and things aren't so dire but we'll wait for the pod, I guess.

4 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

New Way of the Blade with David Bixenspan talking about Fujinami vs. Tenryu

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/8869ab1e-2abe-4e05-adec-713db5049b83

By the way, Bix leans into our own @KinchStalker's excellent research early into this one, and if you haven't checked out his stuff over at PWO, you should really do so. It's just been reorganized into a new format:

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/forum/1538-puroresu-history/

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:35 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@Phil Schneider You’ve ever done a boxing podcast talking about classic matches? Been watching a ton of old stuff recently with an unbiased adults perspective, unlike when I was a kid, and took rooting interest in individual fighters. Would really love to hear you cover that stuff like you’ve done with wrestling on Way of The Blade.

Man, I love boxing, but I don't know if I would be the right person to do something like that, my historical knowledge is pretty spotty. 

• Sad 1

Agreed, what an emotional listen! I guess that put paid as to whether he will ever have a comeback, although with his skills I'm sure he could easily adapt to a no bump low impact style aka Johnny Saint if he so chose. 

Interesting also to hear that he has another last match out there, against Sami Zayn in 2014. I wonder if that was filmed? 

Edit - am now watching the UK Superstars match vs Bryan that he mentions and cringing at the German suplex bump he took on his 'neck that was held together by jelly' as he put it! 

Edited by jm29195

I listened to all of the health issue stuff. That was hard to hear. That man had so much shit happen to him in just a few years, its at least a few miracles he is alive today. The stuff he mentioned was insane. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I listened to all of the health issue stuff. That was hard to hear. That man had so much shit happen to him in just a few years, its at least a few miracles he is alive today. The stuff he mentioned was insane. 

I just listened to this.  Jesus.

That episode was absolutely gripping. Regal is such a great rambling. How he’d get caught up into his stories made me smile. But as it got further into his injuries, especially his spinal fluid dripping out of him, my jaw dropped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Schneider said:

New Way of the Blade with Filthy Tom Lawlor talking Murakami vs. Nagata

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/8f46ada9-d436-484d-80c9-827fd5307973

THAT's a quality dorkfest.  Tom Lawler would have been awesome to road trip to OMEGA with.

• Like 1

I posted this in the Scott Hall thread so I thought i'd post it here too. Get some more eyes on it. A podcast I enjoy a lot, Days of Thunder released a special tribute episode dedicated to the aforementioned Scott Hall, normally they review episodes of Thunder. Their slogan is "A WCW Thunder podcast that you didn't ask for but we did anyway". 

• Like 1

I'm on this weeks Between the Sheets, talking March 1984, largely for a great week of Mid South TV, featuring MR Wrestling II beating JYD, the return of Jim Duggan to fight the Russians, and the start of the Last Stampede. 

Yes, The Cake & The Slap. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm on this weeks Between the Sheets, talking March 1984, largely for a great week of Mid South TV, featuring MR Wrestling II beating JYD, the return of Jim Duggan to fight the Russians, and the start of the Last Stampede. 

Yes, The Cake & The Slap. 

Cornette did a segment talking about that on one of his podcasts last week.

edit: although listening to the beginning again i guess you already knew that.

Edited by bazzil
  • Like 1

I liked how he talked about it being very easy for the cake angle being done to death in Memphis, but when you take it to a new territory it has fresh legs. I know Cornette did the cake angle at least three times(Chattanooga, Mid-South and JCP).