DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2022

Ziggy

BTW, not to kiss any ass, but @Phil Schneiderpodcast is legit good and a breath of fresh air from the rest of the cookie cutter wrestling podcasts out there. I listen to a fuckton of podcasts. Pocket Casts says that since September 2015 I have listened to over 300 days worth of podcasts. A lot of the time it's background noise or I'll stop paying attention to it. The ones that I'll actually pay attention to and remember and tune out the other thing that I'm doing tend to be the better ones and Phil's is like that for me.

• Like 7

I unsubscribed to the WON because I was getting OCD about their podcasts and felt like I had to knock them out every time I had one because I was paying for it.  So I was missing  a lot of other pods I liked.  I resubbed a few weeks ago because I was out of stuff to listen to on a particular weekend, but now I don't care so much and have taken a new approach -- I just skip past anything I don't care about.  I can get an Observer show done in a half hour.  Dave's talking about ratings for 10 minutes?  Nope. 

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I unsubscribed to the WON because I was getting OCD about their podcasts and felt like I had to knock them out every time I had one because I was paying for it.  So I was missing  a lot of other pods I liked.  I resubbed a few weeks ago because I was out of stuff to listen to on a particular weekend, but now I don't care so much and have taken a new approach -- I just skip past anything I don't care about.  I can get an Observer show done in a half hour.  Dave's talking about ratings for 10 minutes?  Nope. 

I unsubscribed to WON a long while ago, but I still get WOR and the other shows via other means...I still listen, but it's mostly out of habit. Dave's word salad gets so hard to listen to and more than half the time he can't even make a coherent thought. Plus, EVERY show starting out with 30 minutes of talking about some random person that passed away sucks. Yeah, I can skip past it, but it still gets very repetitive. That, and WOR at least lacks any kind of format that Dave sticks to. Here's every WOR in a nutshell:

• Show starts, Bryan says there's a lot to cover, but let's start with the death of Jobbie McSixtieswrestler.
  • Bryan goes quiet for the next 30 minutes probably because he decided to hop on the treadmill or something while Dave goes on and on about this person that few people know of.
  • Bryan hops back on and goes, "...Ok...how about this big news story or Raw report or Dynamite report or whatever," but before he can finish, Dave cuts him off to ask Bryan if he knows what day it is and follows that up by saying that day is the day some trivial thing happen 22 years ago.
  • If Dave doesn't cut him off with one of those, then it's about whatever else is on Dave's mind.
  • Bryan peaces out again for 15 minutes, comes back, and goes, "...OK...lets get into this Raw report..."
  • Dave starts out EVERY show report by going, "Yeeeeaaaah..." like he's Bill Lumbergh in Office Space.
  • They eventually run out of time and have to cover anything interesting within 5 minutes because Dave spent 50 minutes talking about who knows what.

Also, the fuck are they always running out of time for? It's an internet podcast they're doing at a time when neither guy is running off to their day job. They can allow the podcast to go on for 30 more minutes or whatever. I also wonder if Bryan is afraid of stepping on Dave's toes to reign him in more. 

• Like 1

The best thing that ever happened to the WON podcasts (at least the ones Dave is on) was someone started posting time stamps

To Craig's point - I think the "out of time thing" is a verbal Alvarez crutch. It isn't like the podcasts are a uniform length every time so I think Bryan just uses that as a wrap up. I mean think about all those episodes where Dave's internet craps out so they have to switch to phone and then they edit all that out - it doesn't take away from the actual show length (and Lord there are definitely times I wish it would)

That being said - I also definitely think there are times where due to other life things (usually with Dave) they only have a certain amount of time. Like for whatever reason Dave has to be done by 11 PM Pacific or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

does any of the Wrestling Observer Live stuff still air on radio stations (Sports Byline USA)? just a question that could answer the question about Bryan thinking time is running out

I once heard WOR on Sirius. I was in a rental car that had it. This had to be idk four years ago now.

Edited by Web Conn

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I wish WON would put the timestamps in the description of the show.  I don't want to browse their board for that shit.  I'll just blindly hit the "skip 2 minutes" button until Dave's moved on to something else.

You don't have to go to the board - just the website

For example - this was Monday

https://www.f4wonline.com/podcasts/wrestling-observer-radio/wrestling-observer-radio-raw-report-ratings-bola-line-up-roh-changes-more

Timestamps:

Start: SmackDown, Rampage ratings

10:56: Tommaso Ciampa, Pete Dunne work Main Event tapings

15:50: ROH changes, announces Supercard of Honor show

18:13: Impact spoilers

20:48: PWG BOLA matches announced

22:33: Hulk Hogan and Facebook, Meisha Tate moving down to 125

26:13: More thoughts on the Rizin scandal

28:20: Raw report

1:01:39: NXT and Dynamite previews

On checking, when I initially saw those KC Vault videos on YouTube, I thought someone was just going all-out on posting KC stuff without their permission. But, they're actually legit.

As for activities involving pro wrestlers or rock stars in the 1980s... I suspect some people would look awful. Some people would also lose a lot of their musical collection if someone like Bowie got popped posthumously (and Bowie was likely sticking his dick in everything for a period of time)

No, Lori Maddox was Page's 13 yr old girl friend that he literally kept under lock and key. I read Hammer Of The Gods in the late 80s and it didn't shy away from any of the weird shit that Zeppelin was into.

• Like 1