Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)


Recommended Posts

Am I the only one who thinks that Cody's departure is not going to do much to harm AEW and his arrival isn't going to mean much for WWE? He's an above average pro wrestler who doesn't really bring anything to the table that makes me want to watch,  but if he's on TV, I don't change the channel. He's kind of like a baked potato, I'm not going to turn it down and with the right toppings it can be delicious,  but when it comes to potatoes is rather have them mashed,  French fried,  or au gratin. Cody's good but I'd never order that shit if some scalloped potatoes are available. 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Everything from that Tweeted list of aspirational indy stuff he wanted to do, designed to look like aw shucks he just loves wrestling but in reality all those bookings were already done before he posted it,

Roderick Strong was the last name on the list and the only one he never got to, since Strong signed with WWE 2 months later. It did take Cody 6 months to get to Shibata and Moose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

hash browns?  Hot fries?  

Oh shit good call. Hash browns are the tits.

My Top 5 Potato Foods :
-French Fries
-Hash Browns
-Potato Chips
-Baked Potato
-Cody Rhodes

Cody is almost out of the top 5. It's a tough business.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Taker, HBK, Sting (until he had no other option)

 

Taker came from WCW. So he's off the list. He made a jump.

Michaels came from AWA. Mid-South to AWA to WWE. So he's out too.

Sting doesn't count at all. Idk how Mid-South to WCW to TNA to WWE to AEW is considered never jumping ship?

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure if you should expect it, but you're not owed or entitled to any level of baseline sincerity. Showbiz people don't need to be real with you, I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings. 

I also don't think wrestlers letting you in on it necessarily makes them "better," nor do I think Cody's done a single thing that a viewer should take as making him a "dirtbag." That level of hatred borders on gross and irrational. Bums me out to see it. 

 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It's always funny when people get castigated for viewing their jobs as jobs. Usually either creative or athletes and I guess wrestlers are both. And Cody would certainly say he was both. 

A segment of fans hate athletes that don't play for "the love of the game ." I think that's definitely true of wrestling fans.

On a  basic level, Cody is just trying to make money in the family business, no different than Jeff Jarrett or Vince himself.

Being about the money is just him being his father's son. 

 

I'm not sure if I'm not expressing myself properly or if you guys are reading things into what I'm saying that aren't there.  I just have a real distaste for a wrestler being "carny" now.   I don't care if any wrestler is just out for money instead of "love of the game."  I just don't like guys just straight up lying every second they're in public.  This is no better than Hogan.  I stopped listening to Prichard's podcast when it became crystal clear he's just a carny liar and paying any attention to him is a waste of time.  This is the same thing.  If you're cool with it and that's just rasslers being rasslers, we just disagree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

 

I'm not sure if I'm not expressing myself properly or if you guys are reading things into what I'm saying that aren't there.  I just have a real distaste for a wrestler being "carny" now.   I don't care if any wrestler is just out for money instead of "love of the game."  I just don't like guys just straight up lying every second they're in public.  This is no better than Hogan.  I stopped listening to Prichard's podcast when it became crystal clear he's just a carny liar and paying any attention to him is a waste of time.  This is the same thing.  If you're cool with it and that's just rasslers being rasslers, we just disagree.

I agree with you 100%.  Just because he his in the wrestling business it's supposed to make it right? That's the logic I am getting from everyone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do y'all get this worked up when some actor goes on Jimmy Fallon's show or a podcast and blows smoke about a new movie they're not really feeling? I can't imagine applying this rigid standard of public honesty to any other type of entertainer. I guess it'd be nice if people were straight with you, but it's not a requirement and being so demanding of dudes on TV is weird as shit to me. 

Beyond that, the "lying every second they're in public" is clearly a gross misrepresentation. It's okay to just dislike the guy without making up nonsense justifications. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Do y'all get this worked up when some actor goes on Jimmy Fallon's show or a podcast and blows smoke about a new movie they're not really feeling? I can't imagine applying this rigid standard of public honesty to any other type of entertainer. I guess it'd be nice if people were straight with you, but it's not a requirement and being so demanding of dudes on TV is weird as shit to me. 

Beyond that, the "lying every second they're in public" is clearly a gross misrepresentation. It's okay to just dislike the guy without making up nonsense justifications. 

Like seriously. People bullshit at work all the time. I know everyone in here has had an external reaction to something at work that didn't match their internal dialog. 

I think Cody working his fans who hate WWE with "I hate them too" and then going back there to work isn't "lying every second they're in public." Now Prichard is a different deal because his whole podcast is a wholesale laundering of history, but I mean, that's way different than Cody working a crowd by telling them what they want to hear in character. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There are people who develop parasocial relationships with celebrities, especially in this era of social media where we think we have all this access to them because we can see their tweets or their instagram posts or their vlogs. "Hey, this celebrity likes this thing, that's just like me because I like this thing too!" Then they get tremendously hurt or offended when the celebrity does something they wouldn't expect, because they've projected this entire set of values onto this person that they don't truly know, all because of what they see through the lens of little snippets of their life and make assumptions based upon that.

I won't go as far to say that "wrestlers are all liars", but I will say that perhaps one should consider how deeply one should trust the word of someone they've never met, and how deeply you should truly be disappointed in them if they make a decision for their career that doesn't actually impact you outside of what channel you watch them on TV.

Edited by Stefanie the Human
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t it be funny if Vince tricked him into signing over the rights to the name “Cody Rhodes”, and so when he’s released in two years, he has to start calling himself Virgil Brandi Junior.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if Vince tricked him into signing over the rights to the name “Cody Rhodes”, and so when he’s released in two years, he has to start calling himself Virgil Brandi Junior.

*Neck Tattoo McGoo

I'll see myself out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

 Virgil Brandi Junior.

The love child of Virgil Runnels and Tom Brandi, delivered via surrogate.

And the surrogate was Claire Lynch's mom. 

Somebody really should give me the book. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

 

And the surrogate was Claire Lynch's mom. 

 

How bad is it that I understood the reference without having to look it up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is Smoke and Mirrors a CFO$ tune? Because if it is, it’s probably not coming back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hawt take: it's OK to value sincerity, even within a traditionally insincere business.

Also: this is pretty intriguing:

What does Dusty's daughter know that we don't?

 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...