DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

It would be interesting to study the numbers if there are more 2nd/3rd gen wrestlers these days than during the territory era, despite there theoretically being less jobs than 30/40 years ago. Or it just seems that way due to the media saturation of the business.

I guess I’ve never really had as big of a problem with nepotism in wrestling, because I’ve always thought of wrestling as being more like a trade. And trades being passed down through generations is pretty normal.

Like, your HVAC guy may have had an easier time getting started because he inherited the family business or caught on with one of his dad’s friends, but if he knows what the fuck he’s doing, who cares?

Edited by EVA
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I guess I’ve never really had as big of a problem with nepotism in wrestling, because I’ve always thought of wrestling as being more like a trade. And trades being passed down through generations is pretty normal.

Certainly in the territory era, just about every promotion was a mom and pop operation with the children either working behind the scenes, as announcers or as workers. 

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Funks, Harts, Bockwinkels, Anoais, Adkinssons, DiBiases, Runnelses, Guerreros, Guzmans, Faulkners, Poffos, Ortons and on and on...as a fan I've got no problem with nepotism in rasslin. I might feel differently if I were a rassler but "who you know" is in every part of life. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
23 minutes ago, EVA said:

Like, your HVAC guy may have had an easier time getting started because he inherited the family business or caught on with one of his dad’s friends, but if he knows what the fuck he’s doing, who cares?

Considering the issues surrounding cultural problems such as race and gender in many facets of life, nepotism might be a bit of an issue.

For example, Brock Anderson having a contract with a major promotion and being allowed to learn on the job, and getting a chance to main event a TV show far before he's ready (as he did vs Malakai Black) is kind of a slap in the face when you've got a talent like AJ Gray who should have a job and has been pretty much ignored until the last couple of years.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Funks, Harts, Bockwinkels, Anoais, Adkinssons, DiBiases, Runnelses, Guerreros, Guzmans, Faulkners, Poffos, Ortons and on and on...as a fan I've got no problem with nepotism in rasslin. I might feel differently if I were a rassler but "who you know" is in every part of life. 

It all depends on if your kid is more Terry/Dory or George Gulas. 

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It all depends on if your kid is more Terry/Dory or George Gulas. 

True but I've seen enough to decide that the pros outweigh the cons. And now with AEW giving some kind of payday to as many wrestlers as they possibly can through all the different shows, not coming from a rasslin family is less hinderance than it's ever been. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

6 hours ago, Dog said:

Brock Anderson? The Ass Boys (though they've gotten better)?

Those three are all in their 20's and are primarily featured on the youtube shows. They are developmental projects, Brandi is 38. has not gotten better and would regularly get featured segments on the television shows. Guys like Luther are barley on tv. Brandon Cutler has a role of stooge. Its apples and oranges

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, AxB said:

So the article this quote was pulled from had a photo caption of Suzuki getting on the plane to the US last year and apparently Gulia took the photo? I'll stop being messy about that part. I wish Suzuki would have detailed why he didn't bother to go to coaches meetings, I assume they would want to map out what they wanted the trainees to do in those meetings, maybe the language barrier? The person doing the interview alludes to maybe he didn't see himself as "management" but if you're a coach then you're a coach, right?

Also regarding nepotism and "who you know" I've gotten my foot in the door at my last 3 jobs because of who I knew and probably wouldn't have gotten in there without that. Did I excel after getting in because of my skills? Yes, but I still know how I got in. And one of the jobs was HVAC and we had a few sons of guys that stunk and eventually got canned. 

Brock Anderson is 100% nepotism as he's barely like... low card MLW ready at this point. If you want to put him in your school that's one thing but unless you have him out there to get bloodied to set up something with Arn there is literally no reason he should be on tv for likely years.

• Like 3

Brock's had, what, 2 matches in the past few months on TV? The tag vs FTR and vs Black. He was never presented as a serious threat to Black and the only reason it was "main event" was to further the Cody angle. The FTR tag was more of an excuse to do Arn vs Tully than anything. It's not like they're giving him the Erik Watts treatment. 

• Like 9

If you can't enjoy watching Brock Anderson give a dude a spinebuster, and are sitting there thinking "he only gets to be on TV because his dad is Arn" like that's a bad thing... I kind of feel sorry for you.

I think that watching young wrestlers develop and lower-card wrestlers climb the proverbial ladder adds a great deal of fun to AEW. (And I think I have made my feelings very very very crystal clear w/r/t why I think it's great that the people entertaining us every week get to have fun at work with their friends and family). 

I sincerely enjoy AEW more because of people like Brock Anderson, Dr. Luther, Brandon Cutler, and so on.

Feel free, obviously, to dislike whatever you wanna dislike. I'll be over here enjoying Serpentico battling Fuego and The Wingmen teaming with Chaos Project and hoping that AEW always has stuff like that going on in the margins.

Edited by Gordlow
link
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I think that watching young wrestlers develop and lower-card wrestlers climb the proverbial ladder adds a great deal of fun

This is actually one of the things that attracted me to Japanese wrestling and NXT before it became a super indy. Its neat seeing wrestlers grow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

If you can't enjoy watching Brock Anderson give a dude a spinebuster, and are sitting there thinking "he only gets to be on TV because his dad is Arn" ...

s4eamxvh.jpg

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I sincerely enjoy AEW more because of people like Brock Anderson, Dr. Luther, Brandon Cutler, and so on.

Feel free, obviously, to dislike whatever you wanna dislike. I'll be over here enjoying Serpentico battling Fuego and The Wingmen teaming with Chaos Project and hoping that AEW always has stuff like that going on in the margins.

Fully agree here, one of the many reasons why I'm such a huge AEW fan.

Side note - I'm (kind of) a fan for Brock because he always looks like he just rolled out of bed about 5 minutes prior to his match.

The following is a typical conversation at my house whenever he shows up:

(Me) "Brock, comb your hair!"
(My wife) "Hook doesn't comb his hair"
(Me) "Hook doesn't need to. He's too cool. And his hair is amazing."

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

This was pretty much my point. The Cutlers, Brocks, and Luthers hang out in the margins. Brandi was getting major TV time that usually turned into train wrecks.

• Like 4

So there is a difference in my eyes between Brandi and Hook or Brandi and Anderson.

Brandi has had experience on TV in front of a camera. In WWE.  She also had the advantage of being around Cody, Dustin, and Dusty.  Dusty was a great promo, Cody can talk, so can Dustin when they let him.  There is literally 0 excuse for her to be out there bombing the way she constantly does. Someone should have taken her aside and coached her up. Maybe they tried we will never know. 

Guys like Brock Anderson and Hook didn't have the time in front of cameras to ply their trade and Hook so far has been impressive. Same with the little I've seen of Brock Anderson and both men have had far less time in front of a camera/audience than Brandi Rhodes. 

Brandi may do great work behind the scenes and that's great. But she should not be an on air character just because of who her husband is. At this point it's fairly obvious that is the only reason she was getting the screen time she was. 

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Brock's had, what, 2 matches in the past few months on TV? The tag vs FTR and vs Black. He was never presented as a serious threat to Black and the only reason it was "main event" was to further the Cody angle. The FTR tag was more of an excuse to do Arn vs Tully than anything. It's not like they're giving him the Erik Watts treatment. 

My point re: Brock Anderson is that here is this guy with a look that would 100% not get him noticed by practically any company, and a skillset that to be fair to him echoes his current experience level (read: not good), and he has a contract with a major organization.

If people's argument about him is that they want their wrestling to look less cookie-cutter, I get it, but there are plenty of wrestlers with unique looks that can benefit your show that AEW ignores.

I also realize I keep pushing this point, but there is a significant amount of Black talent that can help the show but AEW seems content to ignore, and when I see them ignore that talent in favor of Arn Anderson's kid with a handful of matches and a lacklustre look, I find it a little bit annoying, even if he's not STFing Bobby Eaton's kid.

I agree with your points @Stefanie the Human

It's that whole thing where white people get the chance and all we need to do is not fuck it up.  Whereas a black person, in the same situation, has to be more of a special talent to get that shot.  I've got nothing against Brock Anderson, and I highly doubt he's in Tony Kahn's office demanding things and keeping other talent off shows, but he still benefits.  

It's especially odd that there haven't been more Black indie wrestlers getting a shot considering there's never been (IMO) a better crop of young, Black, indie talent out there than right now.  Not only are they out there, it's never been easier to get a look at them.  Hell, there have been entire shows dedicated to showcasing young, Black talent (The For the Culture shows).  

• Like 7