DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You know, there's worse things than the possibility of a reality show featuring them.  Their respective families appear to be wacky, you have two incredibly good-looking people, and if they're themselves it can be pretty entertaining.  Plus it'd be a good test to see how long a husband can see Tay on a reality show without the wife going "Stop staring at her!"  Then again same can be said about wives and Sammy but I digress.

So TK if you're reading this I think @chriskbrown50might be onto something here.

Don’t forget, you also have Dylan Walsh’s kid dating a former teen ms. Georgia (I’m pretty sure) you could go to, too…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I want to see them redo the Glacier/Sonny Onoo angle and have Mark Sterling sell Cody's gimmick to, like, Wheeler Yuta or Serpentico and have him do the whole entrance with elevator and goofy coat before he gets squashed by Kyle O'Reilly or whatever.

Such a shame they let Peter Avalon go because The American Nightmare Peter Avalon would instantly be the best thing on TV.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Meltzer is the tastemaker who's helped make this all possible, and even he was throwing five stars at Cody mere weeks ago for a marquee match. I really think people are over-exaggerating how out-of-step Cody has been with what these people want. 

His in-ring work is the least of his problems fitting in. It's the tone of all his (presumably) self-written angles being incongruous with everything else on the show. Too much worked-shooting, no clear direction for any of his programs, going over in feuds that he shouldn't. Pretty much everything he's been involved with since he went over Brodie has felt off and hurt the flow of the overall show.

• Like 5

I looked at the rejection of Cody as this weird divide that developed between the early stars of the promotion and where the promotion is today. You could argue that Cody, Jericho and the Bucks all hit their ceiling in the promotion. There are up and comers behind them and more exciting acts in front of them. It's a very strange position and what does a promotion do with these types? They are so identified with the promotion, but if they left tomorrow,  it is hard to see how it would have an effect on viewer engagement or the bottom line. 

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Such a shame they let Peter Avalon go because The American Nightmare Peter Avalon would instantly be the best thing on TV.

The other Wingmen all coming through the regular entrance and having to wait for his slow-ass elevator.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cody could have been an amazing white meat babyface — see his original angle vs the Inner Circle.  But he read too many comic books and got ideas for shit nobody wanted to see.  He’s not Dusty or Flair.  He’s Jim Hellwig.  Lost in his own sauce for so long that he made himself irrelevant, unnecessary, and, really, a liability.  Good riddance.  

Now I know how Heenan felt when Hogan turned!  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, just drew said:

Don’t forget, you also have Dylan Walsh’s kid dating a former teen ms. Georgia (I’m pretty sure) you could go to, too…

Yeah, that is true but they're the first to admit that they're generally pretty shy.  Heck, Anna even brought that up on Thunder Rosa's taco vlog not too long ago.  For a reality show there needs to be lots of charisma to maintain interest and I think Sammy and Tay would work quite well.

Yes, I know this is about Cody leaving but with everything just happening I'd rather see how things play out instead of speculating everything.  So while y'all do that I'll just be here thinking about wacky scenarios for this show.  And I agree on Jericho being a suitable replacement for Go Big Show.  The show's fine enough but it almost doesn't matter who's a judge.  If you're going to need somebody from AEW then might as well be him.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Some people have opined that Cody should try throwing his weight behind another company rather than returning to WWE. Is there a chance he uses his clout and resources to try and help relaunch ROH when they start up again? I enjoyed his work there, though that would require him becoming a heel again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Some people have opined that Cody should try throwing his weight behind another company rather than returning to WWE. Is there a chance he uses his clout and resources to try and help relaunch ROH when they start up again? I enjoyed his work there, though that would require him becoming a heel again.

I think he hooks up with the NWA for a short period before anything

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I looked at the rejection of Cody as this weird divide that developed between the early stars of the promotion and where the promotion is today. You could argue that Cody, Jericho and the Bucks all hit their ceiling in the promotion. There are up and comers behind them and more exciting acts in front of them. It's a very strange position and what does a promotion do with these types? They are so identified with the promotion, but if they left tomorrow,  it is hard to see how it would have an effect on viewer engagement or the bottom line. 

This is true, but Jericho and the Bucks are doing exactly what they should be doing: Midcard programs that either elevate other acts or with similarly situated vets who won't be hurt by a loss.

It remains so weird for me that they never ran Cody/Brandi in a modern take on that 99/00 HHH/Stephanie role. Maybe top of card was congested but that was the money angle. Sardonically work the EVP element a little (active wrestling talent who are also EVPs? I mean its so delightfully carny you really have to bring it into the product and be playful with it). For Foley's "I think we're in agreement do any of us really need to see The Mean Street Posse in a single evening?" refer to .. any of the extended Rhodes Faction holding court. Stephanie/Brandi so interchangeable with the "well this is my family's company so I need to explain a few things" schtick. They created so much heat without even intending to - it was criminal not to play into it more. Alas, that would have been good TV.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'm in full support of that and there's evidence to back it up.  Cody has said for the longest time that he's going to retire at a certain age (he recently said it less than six months ago)  He did a lot of stuff backstage since All In and really took a liking to it all.  I can definitely see him wrestling wherever until that age assuming he keeps his word.  But the transition to either running things or having a big hand backstage somewhere seems pretty inevitable to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm in full support of that and there's evidence to back it up.  Cody has said for the longest time that he's going to retire at a certain age (he recently said it less than six months ago)  He did a lot of stuff backstage since All In and really took a liking to it all.  I can definitely see him wrestling wherever until that age assuming he keeps his word.  But the transition to either running things or having a big hand backstage somewhere seems pretty inevitable to me.

I believe Cody Rhodes retiring at 40 about as much as I believe Liam Neeson being "done" with action movies like however many years ago. 

Amanda Huber and Aubrey Edwards defending Brandi following the Wade Keller rumors:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Just put Paul Wight on the stupid game show already.

it seems like putting Paul Wight on a show titled "Go Big Show" would be inviting the WWE to send them a strongly worded letter

Also, either Wade Keller needs new AEW sources, or he needs to figure out which AEW sources are regularly making him look bad. He already had to cut a guy loose from his site due to awful AEW-related takes so some people in that fed aren't going to be Keller sources for awhile.

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Indeed but Jungle Boy/AnnaJay have purposely played their relationship very quiet (I think this Jungle Boy frankly). My sense is Jungle Boy being Luke Perry's son has a different view of fame than many.  Off topic I know.....

• Like 4