DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

I think WWE is paying him too much money to not book Cody strong. The caveat to that being that current WWE booking can fuck people even when they think they’re pushing them. But Cody is going to come in as a big babyface, and if they play their cards right, he can be the solution to this interminable Roman as Universal champ quagmire that they have yet lacked enough faith in any other babyface to extract themselves from.

• Like 2

Also - and this was another point Meltzer brought up - if Cody goes to the WWE and isn't booked strongly, that sends a message to future AEW guys thinking about jumping to WWE (Dave specifically named MJF and Wardlow as guys the WWE definitely wants to target)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think WWE is paying him too much money to not book Cody strong. The caveat to that being that current WWE booking can fuck people even when they think they’re pushing them. But Cody is going to come in as a big babyface, and if they play their cards right, he can be the solution to this interminable Roman as Universal champ quagmire that they have yet lacked enough faith in any other babyface to extract themselves from.

I think you're right, but then this is also the company that put a wig on Goldberg and squandered an entire WCW cross promotional feud.  Ha, I suppose they're spending more on Cody than they did WCW tho.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@AxB Along the same lines, I noticed last night on Dark they either took him out (or he was never in) the Dynamite ads

Which is funny (not ha ha) because it was obvious he did the table fire spot in part so that it'd be in the opening of Dynamite for the next three years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Another Dark thought, while I'm on it: if he's still involved with that school, what's to stop Cody from funneling all his and QT's best students down to NXT? There's so many layers to this thing.

They just want their trainees to get shots because it then helps market their school

Shawn Spears is frequently tagging the WWE to promote folks from Flatbacks. And it isn't like there aren't say Booker T trainees (to randomly pick one person) at both companies.

• Like 2

Yeah, Keller went all in on Brandi being the Yoko of the EVPs and Cody being a pain in the ass who wasn’t worth the money.  Essentially, Cody was hard to deal with and had dumb ideas but he drew ratings.  But once he wanted too much money, was being booed by the fans, and that Brandi segment went over like a fart in church, that was it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Dave hemming and hawing through diplomatic double-speak and Wade Keller basically saying "the thing with Cody is he has a bitch wife and is burning through money like his dad did" is tremendous. 

This has to be the most predictable take of all time.  I didn't know who was going to make it, I just knew that it was going to be made.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Meltzer is the tastemaker who's helped make this all possible, and even he was throwing five stars at Cody mere weeks ago for a marquee match. I really think people are over-exaggerating how out-of-step Cody has been with what these people want. 

I wondered that too… until the second Atlanta Dynamite. The arena that show was held is legit ten minutes from his house and the fans in that arena could not have wanted to see him go over Andrade less. When he stopped getting big babyface reactions in his hometown, where his dad had some iconic matches, he should’ve known then. The lack of self awareness to think “oh, it’s just like Cena,” rather than “these people are sick of this bullshit, time to mix it up a bit” is pretty staggering. 

At the end of the day, I think Cody wanted to be a big fish in a pond he helped dig. I remember a couple years ago when someone asked him a question in those post ppv scrums about “what big star would you like to see come to AEW next?” And Cody responded with “we already have that guy, It’s Jon Moxley.”  That was probably more telling than we could’ve realized at the time about how Cpdy saw AEW as opposed to his evp peers.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Dave hemming and hawing through diplomatic double-speak and Wade Keller basically saying "the thing with Cody is he has a bitch wife and is burning through money like his dad did" is tremendous. 

And you know who REALLY didn't like this take.  Amanda Huber.   Those are going to be awkward AEW meetings  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

And you know who REALLY didn't like this take.  Amanda Huber.   Those are going to be awkward AEW meetings  

It's a completely unnecessary cheap shot.  It's 100% fine not to like Brandi, or to disagree with any and everything she's ever done in wrestling, but calling her a bitch and placing the blame of her husband's exodus at her feet is obvious misogyny.  If the only thing you can say about why they left AEW is, "his wife is a money wasting bitch," you should probably say nothing.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Didn't Cody and Brandy go on that weird podcast tour after the infamous December 2019 Dynamite when Tony took control of the book totally away from the EVPs? I remember they did a weirdly defensive tour. 

I mean, obviously very little with Brandi worked with the exception of her as Cody's second. Punting her for Arn never really made a sense as they were stronger together and the Arn thing never really fit. 

Also, just to clarify, Wade didn't call her a bitch. I was making a joke because he definitely buried the fuck out of her on the pod. Just didn't want anyone to think he (or I) for that matter was using that term. But the implication is, as Technico said, that she's the Yoko of the story. 

10 hours ago, username said:

I feel like I'm the only one to read this one bit from the big Meltzer write-up

A lot of people are writing up how this is Cody's call or how he was demanding "Roman money" and this reads like he was basically offered either a pay cut or "demotion" of some degree (perhaps less freedom with his own angles?) and after a lot of negotiating wouldn't agree to it. I don't know Meltzer's sources but if he's not wrong if seems like if Tony Khan wanted Cody in AEW with the exact same contract he had it seems like he'd still be there.

I think another thing pointing to it not being Cody's decision is that he, being a son of a Booker, would've wanted to leave the company as part of an angle.

Imagine how fun it would've been for Rhodes to renege on his no championship shot promise and demand a shot against Hangman with the stipulation that he leaves the company if he can't get the job done. Nobody would actually believe he would leave the company so the fans would think he's definitely putting himself over. The heat would've been volcanic.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - and this was another point Meltzer brought up - if Cody goes to the WWE and isn't booked strongly, that sends a message to future AEW guys thinking about jumping to WWE (Dave specifically named MJF and Wardlow as guys the WWE definitely wants to target)

It's a fair point but it also speaks to that WWE's notion of booking strongly a lot different than most rational people. Brock, Roman, Charlotte  and Becky are booked strong, as in they just win and wrestle in main events. Can Cody break into that level? 

However, this company also thinks that they book Big E, Bianca, Drew and Rollins well and all four have had some serious missteps over the last few years (maybe not Drew but feels like his main event window has closed).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I want to see them redo the Glacier/Sonny Onoo angle and have Mark Sterling sell Cody's gimmick to, like, Wheeler Yuta or Serpentico and have him do the whole entrance with elevator and goofy coat before he gets squashed by Kyle O'Reilly or whatever.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

You know, there's worse things than the possibility of a reality show featuring them.  Their respective families appear to be wacky, you have two incredibly good-looking people, and if they're themselves it can be pretty entertaining.  Plus it'd be a good test to see how long a husband can see Tay on a reality show without the wife going "Stop staring at her!"  Then again same can be said about wives and Sammy but I digress.

So TK if you're reading this I think @chriskbrown50might be onto something here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I want to see them redo the Glacier/Sonny Onoo angle and have Mark Sterling sell Cody's gimmick to, like, Wheeler Yuta or Serpentico and have him do the whole entrance with elevator and goofy coat before he gets squashed by Kyle O'Reilly or whatever.

Shit, KOR should be at the front of the line to buy those gimmicks. That dude could not be less interesting…

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I wondered that too… until the second Atlanta Dynamite. The arena that show was held is legit ten minutes from his house and the fans in that arena could not have wanted to see him go over Andrade less. When he stopped getting big babyface reactions in his hometown, where his dad had some iconic matches, he should’ve known then. The lack of self awareness to think “oh, it’s just like Cena,” rather than “these people are sick of this bullshit, time to mix it up a bit” is pretty staggering. 

At the end of the day, I think Cody wanted to be a big fish in a pond he helped dig. I remember a couple years ago when someone asked him a question in those post ppv scrums about “what big star would you like to see come to AEW next?” And Cody responded with “we already have that guy, It’s Jon Moxley.”  That was probably more telling than we could’ve realized at the time about how Cpdy saw AEW as opposed to his evp peers.

I recall A LOT of people pretending people's view of Cena back in the day was predominantly "sick of this bullshit, time to mix it up." I know it's been a long time and people's perceptions of events change, but it's not as different a phenomenon from Cody as you're presenting. And you have the added advantage that Cody isn't the literal top face right now, so the wave is more rideable and carries less risk than a Cena situation. I still see no reason to believe the only direction was "mix it up."

As for a guy being cagey about potential additions to the company and hyping up people who are already there, I think you're reading into a pretty standard nothing-burger answer. 

• Like 1