DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

That's why it's so weird he's going back to WWE for me. He smashed the throne with a sledgehammer. He used a golden shovel. He was teasing using The Pedigree as a finisher, but would say he's not resorting to using a shitty guy's moves or whatever. His music was all about WWE taking his name but not his legacy and shit.

I realllllyyyyyy hope he got a gigantic money deal. Because there's a good chance his future is shit sandwiches, and learning to like the taste of them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's why it's so weird he's going back to WWE for me. He smashed the throne with a sledgehammer. He used a golden shovel. He was teasing using The Pedigree as a finisher, but would say he's not resorting to using a shitty guy's moves or whatever. His music was all about WWE taking his name but not his legacy and shit.

I realllllyyyyyy hope he got a gigantic money deal. Because there's a good chance his future is shit sandwiches, and learning to like the taste of them.

I hope his future is polka dots and rainbows  literally.  I was a fan of Cody the person. Not a huge fan but I always liked what he did and wanted to do. With the exception of going out of his way to bury the WWE. Now he is going back there and to me he is more than a hypocrite it's just cringe. It wouldn't look so bad if he didn't go out of his way to bury them but he did and it's going to bite him in the ass.  It will never happen but I'd love to hear him drowned in chants of "You sold out' the second he debuts.  No bigger sellout currently than Cody. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I hope his future is polka dots and rainbows  literally.  I was a fan of Cody the person. Not a huge fan but I always liked what he did and wanted to do. With the exception of going out of his way to bury the WWE. Now he is going back there and to me he is more than a hypocrite it's just cringe. It wouldn't look so bad if he didn't go out of his way to bury them but he did and it's going to bite him in the ass.  It will never happen but I'd love to hear him drowned in chants of "You sold out' the second he debuts.  No bigger sellout currently than Cody. 

Meh. Call it selling out if you want, but the correct term is cashing in.

The wrestling business is a... business. Always weird to me when fans turn on a guy for doing what he's supposed to be doing. Making money. I would have preferred if he stayed in AEW because I liked the narrative of him betting on himself and trying to live up to his father by being more than just the wrestler. But that's all just a narrative. None of it's true. He didn't own AEW. Not even a piece of it. He is a businessman trying to make the most money possible. Good on him for cashing in.

You sold out is about the dumbest thing anyone could ever chant at a wrestler. EC-dub chants didn't buy Taz a house, but that WWE money sure did. I loved ECW. But this idea that wrestlers are supposed to destroy their bodies for "the love of the game" and not piles and piles of cash is pretttttttty antiquated.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Brandi Rhodes isn't expected to join WWE, she still is training to become Women's World Champ of somewhere...

Keep in mind PLANS CHANGE magic can happen.

Maybe MLW can create a women's title for her to win only for it to lead to absolutely nothing like everything else MLW tries

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Maybe MLW can create a women's title for her to win only for it to lead to absolutely nothing like everything else MLW tries

Well, the featherweight title hasn't quite finished leading to nothing, so it could be a while.

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The wrestling business is a... business. Always weird to me when fans turn on a guy for doing what he's supposed to be doing. Making money. I would have preferred if he stayed in AEW because I liked the narrative of him betting on himself and trying to live up to his father by being more than just the wrestler. But that's all just a narrative. None of it's true. He didn't own AEW. Not even a piece of it. He is a businessman trying to make the most money possible. Good on him for cashing in.

You sold out is about the dumbest thing anyone could ever chant at a wrestler. EC-dub chants didn't buy Taz a house, but that WWE money sure did. I loved ECW. But this idea that wrestlers are supposed to destroy their bodies for "the love of the game" and not piles and piles of cash is pretttttttty antiquated.

I think there is a sense in which "You sold out!" can be seen as highly complimentary. It kind of means "We cared about you. We identified with you. We considered you 'one of us.' We are sad and even a little angry that, in moving up, you have moved on." 

in that sense, "You sold out!" chants might actually be a good sign w/r/t Cody Rhodes. I don't think you get those chants if people have stopped caring about you.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I think there is a sense in which "You sold out!" can be seen as highly complimentary. It kind of means "We cared about you. We identified with you. We considered you 'one of us.' We are sad and even a little angry that, in moving up, you have moved on." 

in that sense, "You sold out!" chants might actually be a good sign w/r/t Cody Rhodes. I don't think you get those chants if people have stopped caring about you.

Salient point here. 

Counterpoint: Douchebag wrestling fans will chant any old shit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Salient point here. 

Counterpoint: Douchebag wrestling fans will chant any old shit.

37 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What?!

That's s good counterpoint!

But...

You may recall an isolated asshole fan trying to start a "What?" chant during an emotional ( Kingston? Mox? Punk?) promo on a recent episode of AEW TV and getting shut down immediately while receiving ZERO apparent support from anyone else in the crowd.

I can recall Jericho successfully asking the crowd to stop with WWE-reference chants as "bad ideas from bad creative" and I am pleasantly surprised by how easily Bryan kept an "AEW Yes Movement" from becoming a thing that grew out of control.

I won't even pretend to argue that there aren't asshole wrestling fans. Obviously in any large gathering of human beings there are going to be at least a few assholes.

I might, however, try to argue that the assholes certainly don't seem to be the majority any more... at least not in AEW crowds. 

Not sure what the ratio might be for a WM weekend crowd in Texas.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

But...

You may recall an isolated asshole fan trying to start a "What?" chant during an emotional ( Kingston? Mox? Punk?) promo on a recent episode of AEW TV and getting shut down immediately while receiving ZERO apparent support from anyone else in the crowd.

I can recall Jericho successfully asking the crowd to stop with WWE-reference chants as "bad ideas from bad creative" and I am pleasantly surprised by how easily Bryan kept an "AEW Yes Movement" from becoming a thing that grew out of control.

I won't even pretend to argue that there aren't asshole wrestling fans. Obviously in any large gathering of human beings there are going to be at least a few assholes.

I might, however, try to argue that the assholes certainly don't seem to be the majority any more... at least not in AEW crowds. 

To be fair, the ratio of assholes to regular people is higher than average in Texas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

But...

Eddie Kingston on the post AEW Revolution 2022 Dynamite with Chris Jericho. Kingston called the jackass on it and it didn't happen again. Agree with the rest of your post as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I'd counter that one group of assholes is just more willing to play along, but I worry some people engaging with that idea might feel attacked. 

I don't begrudge Cody for going into business for himself and trying to make as much money as he can as long as he can. That's what he should be doing. I begrudge him for all the trolling BS. The lyrics on his theme song aren't even subtle. He got a stupid neck tattoo that no one likes except him. 

He made himself into AEW's Jeff Jarrett. As Kenny Omega said, no one cared more about making it AEW vs. WWE than Cody Rhodes. That was his schtick.

On the other hand, Roman Reigns has basically no opponents left in WWE. So he could be a fresh new opponent for Roman at this point. There's literally no one left for Roman to beat. Bron Breakker isn't ready yet. There's really no one left in NXT to call up who can be a good new opponent, other than maybe Tommaso Ciampa. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In most cases yes you are right the "You Sold Out chants" are wrong.

However, when you make it part of your character to openly bash WWE and then end up signing with them months later..... Yeah, either he sold out or his mind changes to fit the narrative, or he had no power at all and was doing what Tony told him to do.  Not many viable options 

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I do like your Taz example. Spot on. 

Also,

I've always said you can't fault someone if a company is going to throw them truck loads of money.  Brock Lesnar being the best example. He left UFC, is making bank in WWE, and not destroying his body.  All we hear is how Tony has more money than Vince. If he wanted he probably could have matched the offer or beat the offer.  Cody absolutely sold out all of his "values" to go back to WWE.  Hell, I might be wrong, he might have a huge creative clause in his contract but it's doubtful., Vince knows the other guys won't go for that. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.  

Smoke and mirrors theme or we riot! 

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I believe "selling out" exists.  It happens when you forsake something you believe in for money.  But I also believe Cody didn't "sell out" because all the stuff he's been telling us he believed since leaving WWE was a con.  I'm glad he signed with WWE because he represented the type of old school carny con artist bullshit I'd rather not have to watch in AEW. They're doing fine without him.

• Like 7

Look, I don't want to get into a big argument over this, and I'm not a Cody apologist. But could someone tell me what he was supposed to do? He obviously wasn't happy in AEW. ROH just got bought by them. TNA, NWA, and New Japan all have some working relationship with them. Where was he going to go? MLW? CYN?  Hell he can't even go to DDT now. Is he just supposed to quit wrestling, or work somewhere he wasn't happy? 

Edited by mystman
Misspelling