DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

I did find it a little suspect that supposedly the reason Cody left AEW was in part because he had a smaller creative role in things, so the idea of TK just handing over the book to him for ROH when he's rumored to have paid tens of millions of dollars kind of seemed... uhh, not right. He's going to buy this entire company just to 1) keep Cody and 2) immediately hand over booking duties to someone like Cody? That always felt like a recipe for disaster.

Of course, the other side of this is also funny, if he did indeed leave AEW because of lack of creative input - so your immediate decision is to sign with the company that famously DOESN'T collaborate with its talent? Unless you're someone like Becky, Roman, etc of course. And Cody is most definitely not in that tier of talent. He wasn't even in the top echelon of AEW after a certain point, because they kept growing so fast and eventually passed him by entirely. I know money rules the world, but still. For all his faults, he doesn't seem like the type of dude to just leave something like AEW and go to WWE because of money. But that's a fan on the outside looking in, of course. I don't know Cody, for all I know he's more of a capitalist than an artist or a dreamer or whatever.

The more realistic answer to all of this is right in the Young Bucks' book, I think. He's crazy indecisive. One minute he wanted to challenge the throne of WWE by founding AEW, the next he wanted to sign with WWE again, the next minute he wanted to leave wrestling entirely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I did find it a little suspect that supposedly the reason Cody left AEW was in part because he had a smaller creative role in things, so the idea of TK just handing over the book to him for ROH when he's rumored to have paid tens of millions of dollars kind of seemed... uhh, not right. He's going to buy this entire company just to 1) keep Cody and 2) immediately hand over booking duties to someone like Cody? That always felt like a recipe for disaster.

I'm about as pro-AEW as anyone on the board. But a recipe for disaster is Tony Kahn trying to do everything himself. I think all the pleas from us are less we want this super Cody fed, and more we don't want TK to spread himself too thin. AEW has been pretty fucking solid for 3 years. Let's keep it solid. There's no need for him to be so directly involved in what is essentially the developmental territory. It's a tailor made situation for someone else to cut their teeth and test out their ideas. Treat the booker of ROH position as creative developmental. It could help AEW in the long run. Vince always needed a Pat Patterson. This is TK's chance to help learn and grow and develop a trusted right hand man. Cody or otherwise.

On the subject of Cody...

I really hope he takes time to consider who WWE is targeting for their future. Is he going to be happy wrestling a bunch of athletes that are taught to punch a time clock? Cody has this business in his blood. The passion is undeniable. It's going to be a frustrating experience when he is programed with the Omos' or the Ridge Hollands. They don't have that passion. They aren't standing up for themselves with creative. They get orders they go do whatever the agents tell them to then they punch out and go home. WWE in 3-5 years is going to be a soul-less environment. And no amount of money can replace the artistic outlet when you are on the same wave length with the person you are working with.

• Like 3

Ha, have we ever seen a pro wrestler speculated about so much, with so few actual facts of the matter, yet treated as tho every little speculative newsbit or opinion is indeed a fact?  Cody's presentation seems to be pretty much the only basis of these constant confirmations of the rumour mill.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, have we ever seen a pro wrestler speculated about so much, with so few actual facts of the matter, yet treated as tho every little speculative newsbit or opinion is indeed a fact?  Cody's presentation seems to be pretty much the only basis of these constant confirmations of the rumour mill.

Weird concept here, but fans of wrestling on a wrestling message board are speculating about a wrestler lol. Not exactly breaking news.

I get what you're saying. But you're off base a bit. Lots of guys gets speculated about like this. Back before AEW was a thing every other post was about if Kenny Omega would be in The Royal Rumble in 2018. Punk was a consistent topic for his whole seven year absence. Kevin Owens was fantasy booked in AEW for months until he re-signed with WWE. When the dust settles on Cody someone else will be the one speculated about. It's what we do.

Don't mistake recency bias for hero worship, that's all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Of course, the other side of this is also funny, if he did indeed leave AEW because of lack of creative input - so your immediate decision is to sign with the company that famously DOESN'T collaborate with its talent?

I just assumed it was a matter of, "well if I can't get the book, I might as well go make as much money as I can." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would suggest, as I already did, that there is a difference between fact and fiction.  So long as the fiction isn't presented as fact it's fine, fine fodder for a wrestling message board with wrestling fans.  Not such a 'weird concept'.

• Like 2

Ohhh it was an anti Meltzer thing. Didn't pick up on that originally, my bad.

Don't get the hate for him. Also don't get the love for him. He's just reporting on what he was told. Sometimes things change. Sometimes sources feed him bad info on purpose. Don't see why people care so much. Don't shoot the messenger and all that.... but I digress. Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm about as pro-AEW as anyone on the board. But a recipe for disaster is Tony Kahn trying to do everything himself. I think all the pleas from us are less we want this super Cody fed, and more we don't want TK to spread himself too thin. AEW has been pretty fucking solid for 3 years. Let's keep it solid. There's no need for him to be so directly involved in what is essentially the developmental territory. It's a tailor made situation for someone else to cut their teeth and test out their ideas. Treat the booker of ROH position as creative developmental. It could help AEW in the long run. Vince always needed a Pat Patterson. This is TK's chance to help learn and grow and develop a trusted right hand man. Cody or otherwise.

That guy should be Regal. 40 years in the business, long runs with WCW and WWE, years of backstage experience, trainer, etc. Regal is someone Vince should have kept on payroll just to keep him away from the competition.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 3/12/2022 at 9:55 AM, JLowe said:

That guy should be Regal. 40 years in the business, long runs with WCW and WWE, years of backstage experience, trainer, etc. Regal is someone Vince should have kept on payroll just to keep him away from the competition.

Absolutely. If I was to choose between Cody and Regal to run a promotion- I would be betting my last cent on Regal to make it work. Regal would respect the tradition of ROH and not use it for ego stroking. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Absolutely. If I was to choose between Cody and Regal to run a promotion- I would be betting my last cent on Regal to make it work. Regal would respect the tradition of ROH and not use it for ego stroking. 

Not sure they could do Cody as booker and in ring competitor the way everybody knows everything about the backstage aspect of the business these days. Would Dusty have been as much a beloved star in the 80s if people knew he was booking himself to be a beloved star? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, have we ever seen a pro wrestler speculated about so much, with so few actual facts of the matter, yet treated as tho every little speculative newsbit or opinion is indeed a fact?

Benoit, for about a week.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, Infinit said:

Would Dusty have been as much a beloved star in the 80s if people knew he was booking himself to be a beloved star? 

There was a small contingent in the Carolinas that knew who Virgil Runnels was and he received his share of boos on the house show circuit. Not overwhelming by any stretch...but they were there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

There was a small contingent in the Carolinas that knew who Virgil Runnels was and he received his share of boos on the house show circuit. Not overwhelming by any stretch...but they were there.

The guys from Greensboro, right? I've heard some of the stories of Dusty vs that section on the 605 pod...hilarious how they got under his skin lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I seem to recall Dusty’s name being Virgil Runnels was in the Apter mags, by the time he was booking in JCP.

and he was listed in the tv credits as executive producer or similar. 

I have been watching some mid 90ies WCW PPVs and it is so inconsistent who is listed by his shoot and who is called by his work name. Even the same guy one month might be listed by his shoot and the next month by his work name. For example I am sure I have seen both "Arn Anderson" and "Marty Lunde" being listet as well as "Mike Graham" and "Mike Gossett". Same for Dusty. Only Jody Hamilton - I think - is never listed as The Assassin (probably because they considered that too silly). I don't think I have seen Bill Dundee listed under his work name as well.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, The Great ML said:

this is absolutely true, they were known as Ric Flair and his ex wives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/12/2022 at 5:13 AM, Casey said:

Of course, the other side of this is also funny, if he did indeed leave AEW because of lack of creative input - so your immediate decision is to sign with the company that famously DOESN'T collaborate with its talent? Unless you're someone like Becky, Roman, etc of course. And Cody is most definitely not in that tier of talent. He wasn't even in the top echelon of AEW after a certain point, because they kept growing so fast and eventually passed him by entirely. I know money rules the world, but still. For all his faults, he doesn't seem like the type of dude to just leave something like AEW and go to WWE because of money. But that's a fan on the outside looking in, of course. I don't know Cody, for all I know he's more of a capitalist than an artist or a dreamer or whatever.

The more realistic answer to all of this is right in the Young Bucks' book, I think. He's crazy indecisive. One minute he wanted to challenge the throne of WWE by founding AEW, the next he wanted to sign with WWE again, the next minute he wanted to leave wrestling entirely.

Cody sounds like a butterknife. Not the sharpest one in the drawer. He's going to fall victim to "another guy" syndrome in less than a year. Will be replacing Jeff Hardy in 24/7 scrambles with Akira Tozawa. 

His so-called creative control was literally him doing cringe BS like smashing Triple H's throne, using golden shovels, and as late as last January, publicly trashing the WWE product on-air. 

His reaction to stuff like this getting criticized is to only continue doing it more. That's behavior internet trolls do.

• Like 1