DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Log said:

Reigns could totally find a nice little movie career as straight-to-VOD Jason Momoa.

I honestly think he will. He's maybe got more movie-star charisma than pro wrestling charisma.

40 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think that's a bit off the mark. Reigns is "the man" in the most profitable era in WWE history. And was also in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

Nash was "the man" during the lowest money drawing era in the history of WWE. He was not in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

While Nash was part of the nWo during the hottest period of the business, he was never really a pop culture guy at all. What media presence did Nash have? Regis & Kathy, just like every other WWE champion? I think Reigns has surpassed that. He does a lot of media and make a wish stuff. Definitely not Cena / Austin / Hogan / Rock pop culture level. But definitely bigger in pop culture than Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels / Kevin Nash. Those are big deals in the wrestling bubble. But hardly any pop culture presence at all.

Er, have you seen that F&F spin-off? It actually gets almost comical watching just how hard the film works to keep him from having to deliver any sort of dialogue. He mainly nods and fights. Whoever directed it CLEARLY did not trust Reigns to do any sort of work. 

34 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Double C is going to need someone to talk for him in AEW. Mic skills is his weak spot.

AEW has worked around it with champs of varying levels of "talk": Penta, Fenix, Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy all range from non-English speaking to just growling to passable on the mic and all have held gold. Heck, Jade Cargill is a champ and basically says nothing but "That bitch" and is doing fine. 

Cesaro will probably sound just fine when he's not being undercut by weirdly-worded WWE promos or just being made to look foolish. There was that period where Cesaro was show in a suit and looked so cool that I thought they were going to go the Jason Statham route of cool, bald guy in a suit who beats people up and they brought him back right at the World Title level then lost interested and instead seemed to veer into James Bond who's not allowed to talk territory. Then there was the period where they thought the best thing they could do was have him lisp. I honestly always felt like WWE viewed him as a guy who could make everyone look good, except himself and like there was antipathy for him wearing a mouthguard. The last part might be me inferring something that wasn't there, but honestly after he started wearing the mouthguard I noticed WWE announcers bringing it p a lot and his push seemed to vanish. And I could TOTALLY see Vince being the type of guy who does not like to see wrestlers wearing mouthguards.

21 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I get wanting to see Bryan/Claudio but what I want to see happen is Claudio trading throws and slapping meat with Jeff Cobb

Shit, they should sign Jeff Cobb, too. I was in the building for Cobb's lone AEW match and I was enthralled. 

• Like 1

I'd be fine with AEW signing  Claudio if they hadn't just signed Swerve, Buddy Matthews, Tony Nese, Lee Moriarty, Keith Lee, Kyle O'Reilly, Brody King, Jay Lethal, Danhausen, and Bobby Fish in the last few months. Not to mention they're about to sign Jeff Hardy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'd be fine with AEW signing  Claudio if they hadn't just signed Swerve, Buddy Matthews, Tony Nese, Lee Moriarty, Keith Lee, Kyle O'Reilly, Brody King, Jay Lethal, Danhausen, and Bobby Fish in the last few months. Not to mention they're about to sign Jeff Hardy.

Those 10 guys (no Jeff, plz) are a good 10 week start for Claudio. Is there any good reason he hasn't faced any of those guys?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Those 10 guys (no Jeff, plz) are a good 10 week start for Claudio. Is there any good reason he hasn't faced any of those guys?

He's been in WWE for over 10 years. And he did wrestle Jeff Hardy.

Edited by TheVileOne

Just now, TheVileOne said:

He's been in WWE for over 10 years. And he did wrestle Jeff Hardy.

No Jeff, plz. We've all wrestled Jeff at some point in our journeys. 

But seriously, there's no good reason he shouldn't have faced all of those former WWE guys by now. Roster differences? In the same company? They just didn't want CC having any fun.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Which of those guys do you sign over Claudio if you knew he was available? Keith Lee? I don't think you can compare Danhausen - you're certainly not spending money to do the same thing there. Brody King is a little different look and style so that's hard to compare too, but I'd rather have Claudio than Swerve, Buddy, Nese, Moriarty, reDRagon, and Lethal.

Claudio's a guy that can play face or heel believably at any level of the card. Can he draw? We've never found out, but can any wrestler draw in 2022?