DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

I always talk about that list TK has to have in his head of people to sign if they're available. Claudio is right at the top of it. 

At this point it's him, Island Joseph, Richard O'Shay, and Nikki Cross.

• Like 5

Remember in 2014 when Cesaro won the Andre Battle Royal as part of WM 30 and it felt like we were getting a company that would be focusing on a new vanguard of stars?

Legit feels like more than eight years ago. Reigns is the only newer talent from that show that they've capitalized on, and I think capitalized is a stretch considering that he's sub-Nash as a draw or pop culture media presence. 

• Like 11

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Why would he fight the soon-to-be consigliere of Bryan's Grapple Boys Inc.?

Match first, then handshake, consigliereation after. Sorted. 

1 minute ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Remember in 2014 when Cesaro won the Andre Battle Royal as part of WM 30 and it felt like we were getting a company that would be focusing on a new vanguard of stars?

Like I said when I rewatched that, that Andre BR looked like it was supposed to be Sheamus winning but a botch with him and Del Rio accidentally eliminating each other caused Big Show to improv the finish with Cesaro going over.

I'm really surprised he lasted this long, especially since he was the infamous "brass ring" comment recipient.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Reigns is the only newer talent from that show that they've capitalized on, and I think capitalized is a stretch considering that he's sub-Nash as a draw or pop culture media presence. 

I think that's a bit off the mark. Reigns is "the man" in the most profitable era in WWE history. And was also in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

Nash was "the man" during the lowest money drawing era in the history of WWE. He was not in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

While Nash was part of the nWo during the hottest period of the business, he was never really a pop culture guy at all. What media presence did Nash have? Regis & Kathy, just like every other WWE champion? I think Reigns has surpassed that. He does a lot of media and make a wish stuff. Definitely not Cena / Austin / Hogan / Rock pop culture level. But definitely bigger in pop culture than Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels / Kevin Nash. Those are big deals in the wrestling bubble. But hardly any pop culture presence at all.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

I always talk about that list TK has to have in his head of people to sign if they're available. Claudio is right at the top of it. 

At this point it's him, Island Joseph, Richard O'Shay, and Nikki Cross.

One of these things is not like the other.

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think that's a bit off the mark. Reigns is "the man" in the most profitable era in WWE history. And was also in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

Nash was "the man" during the lowest money drawing era in the history of WWE. He was not in a Fast & Furious movie with The Rock.

While Nash was part of the nWo during the hottest period of the business, he was never really a pop culture guy at all. What media presence did Nash have? Regis & Kathy, just like every other WWE champion? I think Reigns has surpassed that. He does a lot of media and make a wish stuff. Definitely not Cena / Austin / Hogan / Rock pop culture level. But definitely bigger in pop culture than Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels / Kevin Nash. Those are big deals in the wrestling bubble. But hardly any pop culture presence at all.

Hard disagree. Reigns is almost totally disconnected from profitability. The KSA isn't bringing WWE over in a big-money deal for Reigns. They're bringing the WWE over in a big-money deal for...uh...Yokozuna. And, um...The Ultimate Warrior.

Nash, as a formative part of the nWo, should get more credit (though his popularity is diluted since he was part of a group). I don't get the sense that Reigns is well known from non-watchers, so I don't see how you'd place him anywhere but on that Hart/Michaels/Nash line, though I think it's hard to put him over Hart or Nash. 

Look at it from this angle: WWE's got more media reach and media connections than ever before, including the Rock 'n Wrestling Era, and Reigns is arguably not as popular as Bret Hart. 

• Like 1

Nash may not have been in a F&F movie, but he was in Magic Mike which was HUGE.

And he played Tim's dad on Detroiters which was huge for me but probably not for many other people.

Edited by Log
  • Like 2

Nash was also Super Shredder. Nash playing a washed stripper and Super Shredder > Reigns being the third-most popular pro wrestler in an F&F movie. 

Reigns is going to need Jason Momoa to retire because Hollywood's the type of place that only has room for one gentleman of Samoan descent with long hair at a time.

• Like 4

Good for Claudio Castagnoli standing up for himself and being willing to walk away. The man has literally given nothing but the best years of his life and career to WWE, was always the company man, busted his ass, and given bullshit Vince McMahon "not grabbing the brass ring" nonsense. 

Literally squandered all of his momentum after WrestleMania 30. Shameful.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Nash may not have been in a F&F movie, but he was in Magic Mike which was HUGE.

Long after his wrestling career. To the point where if I bring him up to people outside of the business, they have no idea the Magic Mike guy was ever a wrestler. He *was* in a Ninja Turtle movie. But under a mask and not really publicized to any degree.

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Long after his wrestling career. To the point where if I bring him up to people outside of the business, they have no idea the Magic Mike guy was ever a wrestler. He *was* in a Ninja Turtle movie. But under a mask and not really publicized to any degree.

My dad recognized Nash from "the Longest Yard" remake when I was watching the Kliq documentary a few weeks ago. Popped me pretty hard. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Nash was also Super Shredder. Nash playing a washed stripper and Super Shredder > Reigns being the third-most popular pro wrestler in an F&F movie. 

Reigns is going to need Jason Momoa to retire because Hollywood's the type of place that only has room for one gentleman of Samoan descent with long hair at a time.

Reigns could totally find a nice little movie career as straight-to-VOD Jason Momoa.

• Like 2