DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

Brock Anderson tries to kick a football only for Leyla Hirsch to yank it away at the last second and call him a blockhead after he falls down. That's great television right there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Brock Anderson tries to kick a football only for Leyla Hirsch to yank it away at the last second and call him a blockhead after he falls down. That's great television right there. 

WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-size

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Maybe I'm just trying to be glass half full about it, but I think AEW has made some strides in the representation department lately. Two of five champs are Black, Acclaimed are over as hell and on every show, we had a great showing from Lee Moriarty last week, Dante Martin can't stop being awesome, and we got Will Hobbs and Keith Lee in the ladder match. No wrestling company on Earth is where they should be with it, including AEW, but I do have to admit it's at least a good start.

• Like 5

AEW is doing mu better with black representation lately, but it was downright grim at times for much of last year. Again, the top black face in the entire company for half of last year may have been Red Velvet, no knock against her but she's barely on tv. I'm glad it is better now but I am always suspect when it suddenly gets better someplace after they are publicly called out on it To clarify I don't think it was ever at a point to declare outright problematic, but it was very much at a point where things needed to change and hopefully they will long term and not just to cover themselves against criticism. They may have never had a black main eventer in the history of the company and now they have Keith Lee so... moment of truth and I'm legit pulling for them to get it right.

22 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Feel free, obviously, to dislike whatever you wanna dislike. I'll be over here enjoying Serpentico battling Fuego and The Wingmen teaming with Chaos Project and hoping that AEW always has stuff like that going on in the margins.

TBF I like the Chaos Project and the Wingmen a good bit and am glad to have them around, the last thing I want is AEW purged of all goofballs and lowcarders. I think one can feel that way while still looking at Brock Anderson and going "he's not good at all and seems to not have a lot of potential to get better, he doesn't belong here." He's legitimately nepotism 101, you could argue that he's been the least person in the ring in every single match he's had and most of the people he face don't have jobs in the company, and if one watches him and thinks "he could be a star one day" then good for you but I legit think he's a no hoper. Like I'm not here saying this about Pillman Jr. who I think is pretty flawed but shows signs of being something someday.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Log said:

I agree with your points @Stefanie the Human

It's that whole thing where white people get the chance and all we need to do is not fuck it up.  Whereas a black person, in the same situation, has to be more of a special talent to get that shot.  I've got nothing against Brock Anderson, and I highly doubt he's in Tony Kahn's office demanding things and keeping other talent off shows, but he still benefits.  

It's especially odd that there haven't been more Black indie wrestlers getting a shot considering there's never been (IMO) a better crop of young, Black, indie talent out there than right now.  Not only are they out there, it's never been easier to get a look at them.  Hell, there have been entire shows dedicated to showcasing young, Black talent (The For the Culture shows).  

I would love to see The Mane Event signed.  Now before I go into this I will say for those unaware, there are 2 Indy teams with that name. I am referring to Duke Davis and Ganon Jones.  These guys are insanely good and are over huge wherever they wrestle.  You can see them in IWC or AIW currently.  

Oddly enough they are working the other TME team this Saturday in Pittsburgh.  If you haven't heard of or seen them wrestle I beg of you to check them out. They are a black tag team and should be on the For the Culture shows. Actually they should be in AEW or WWE every week. 

3 hours ago, hobo joe said:

I thought Brock looked leagues better in his recent tag against FTR than he did in his debut tag last year where he looked completely lost and was in all honestly the greenest dude I've ever seen on national television.

Nobody was greener than David Flair. 

• Like 4

On 2/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, Log said:

I agree with your points @Stefanie the Human

It's that whole thing where white people get the chance and all we need to do is not fuck it up.  Whereas a black person, in the same situation, has to be more of a special talent to get that shot.  I've got nothing against Brock Anderson, and I highly doubt he's in Tony Kahn's office demanding things and keeping other talent off shows, but he still benefits.  

It's especially odd that there haven't been more Black indie wrestlers getting a shot considering there's never been (IMO) a better crop of young, Black, indie talent out there than right now.  Not only are they out there, it's never been easier to get a look at them.  Hell, there have been entire shows dedicated to showcasing young, Black talent (The For the Culture shows).  

Yeah why can't AEW hire the chick in my avatar? She has money written all over her! What your scared or something?

42 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Word. Must've blocked that out. I wonder who the greenest worker on national TV would be if we exclude second generation talent.

Alexa Bliss has to be up there. She’s a pretty good worker now, but she was rushed pretty blatantly. Dana Brooke, Nia Jax, Eva Marie…

55 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Word. Must've blocked that out. I wonder who the greenest worker on national TV would be if we exclude second generation talent.

Giant Silva in the Oddities?

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Omos has to be the leader currently.

Is there any answer to that question that isn't a giant stiff or an attractive woman?

Honestly, why else would you rush someone to tv?