DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

All the discourse with money is awful (again, not here). People think that signing Danhausen for presumably what is one of the lower-end contracts is the reason you can't afford a Cody seven-figure contract. Or that, possibly, bringing in Buddy Matthews is the same financial outlay as what Owens was asking. 

Owens and Zayn are great but are you going to get into a massive seven-figure bidding war for them, especially after signing Bryan and Punk? 

Also, as always with WWE contracts, what they offer you and what you get are wildly different things. Gallows and Anderson were re-signed to major deals to keep them away from AEW and were then cut like a year later. 

I think this is one of those places where Meltzer is steering a misguided narrative. Unless it comes out that Cody was offered like a massive pay cut or something, I don't think there's much of an issue here.  

edit to add: in one week it went from "AEW is financially irresponsibly to bring in yet another guy like Keith Lee. They gotta stop adding talent" to "AEW is falling apart because they didn't offer Cody the money he was asking." 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 7

There's wrestlers in NXT 2.0 who are considerably greener than Brandi Rhodes Eden Styles, and a step behind her in terms of in-ring work.

1 minute ago, Blue Dragon said:

Well they reportedly don't want too much older women on the roster.

Anyway in IMPACT news, somebody is leaving, but fightful decided to hide who it is.

It's Rachel Ellering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Hagan said:

All the discourse with money is awful (again, not here). People think that signing Danhausen for presumably what is one of the lower-end contracts is the reason you can't afford a Cody seven-figure contract. Or that, possibly, bringing in Buddy Matthews is the same financial outlay as what Owens was asking. 

Owens and Zayn are great but are you going to get into a massive seven-figure bidding war for them, especially after signing Bryan and Punk? 

Also, as always with WWE contracts, what they offer you and what you get are wildly different things. Gallows and Anderson were re-signed to major deals to keep them away from AEW and were then cut like a year later. 

I think this is one of those places where Meltzer is steering a misguided narrative. Unless it comes out that Cody was offered like a massive pay cut or something, I don't think there's much of an issue here.  

edit to add: in one week it went from "AEW is financially irresponsibly to bring in yet another guy like Keith Lee. They gotta stop adding talent" to "AEW is falling apart because they didn't offer Cody the money he was asking." 

My issue is more so not the money but they keep hiring people when there are already people who are starting to flounder or not consistently featured on TV enough. Or they are constantly trying to squeeze as many people as possible into various promo segments.

Jerry Soto Trata on Instagram: “Tomó 10 años de entrenamiento a fuerza de trabajo constante, tomó unos años de ausencia por circunstancias ajenas que afectaron, y siguen…”

Looks like Jerry Soto, who was among those let go by the WWE in the initial pandemic purges, has been brought back to replace Carlos Cabrera for the Spanish announce team.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:28 PM, Eivion said:

I've never understood this. While he had no issues with being critical of shit he thought was dumb on WWE's part he also generally tried to be respectful to them the past few years. Its more TK and Omega who were just straight up anti-WWE.

Not to belabor the point, but since Omega has spoken about this very thing publicly since then:

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, peterien said:

It’s funny to me how all of a sudden in certain areas in the internet (not here) that all of a sudden AEW has “budgeting problems”, “won’t get a big renewal on their tv deal” and that “Owens and Sami saw what they had to offer and stuck with WWE and have major mania plans now”. 

I’ve said before that I can’t blame Cody for looking out for himself money wise but all of this is going to be laughable in August when he’s wrestling Steve-O at summerslam. 

It's a fairly damning commentary on the world we live in where "don't want to pay a mid-carder exorbitantly" is interpreted as "budget issues." TK is bringing in Bud Mathews, Shane Strickland, and Jeff Hardy over the next few weeks. I fully embrace his philosophy of "pay guys for what you think they can do, not for what they have done." 

He was right not to get bogged down with huge deals to Owens and Zayn, too. I like both guys, but would they help you at this point more than Punk, Danielson, Cole and Lee? 

FWIW, a Cody extension probably does put you in money trouble. You can snap up 6-8 talents for what Cody apparently wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm a big fan of Cody and recognize his importance in establishing AEW as a true national company, and his first year to 18 months in AEW was mostly very good. That said, asking to be paid $3 million a year after his last year in the company and the depth at the top of the AEW card is ludicrous, and I don't blame TK for balking at that. There are a handful of active/semi-active (Cena) guys that I would pay that, and they are all basically entrenched with AEW or WWE already (and outside of those prganizations, maybe Okada or our favorite Knife Pervert on a full-time contractual basis).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoever got Trent? to say Knife Pervert on here needs to raise their hand. It's either that or he lurks on the board. 

Is it really some big DVDVR secret? There is a "Knife Pervert" shirt on Switchblade's PW Tees site.

• Like 1