DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

58 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I think Dusty had some great ideas but went to the well way too often. For instance, the "Dusty Finish" is a great way to build heat and extend a feud if used sparingly. It's also a great way to piss off your fanbase and drive people away if you do them a ton and never pay it off by having the babyface actually win. Also, it's not a terrible idea to lift angles and gimmicks from movies. The Horsemen beating up Dusty in a parking lot while he screams "make it good" because that's their shot at him and they better make it count is right out of an old Western. It is a terrible idea to turn a dude into Oz and put Kevin Sullivan in a rubber mask as The Wizard.

I feel this kinda goes to thing that happens a lot when bookers get a hot idea. The Dusty finish is not a bad idea but doing it to death was. Russo had some bright ideas that he fed to vince in 97-98 but then just kept doing "worked-shoot" nonsense for ever in WCW and beyond. How many evil authority figured have we seen on RAW? How many times has he tried to find his new Hogan. NWO was a great idea but Bishoff never had an exit strategy for it

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I blame Scott Keith for the early IWC’s poor view of dusty. God, that dude had horrible taste in wrestling.

Meltzer and various other dudes were doing that way before Scott Keith

AEW is sorta fresh since it's a non-WWE entity free of the JCP/WCW fan culture of having some grievance over how booking was handled years ago

It’s funny to me how all of a sudden in certain areas in the internet (not here) that all of a sudden AEW has “budgeting problems”, “won’t get a big renewal on their tv deal” and that “Owens and Sami saw what they had to offer and stuck with WWE and have major mania plans now”. 

I’ve said before that I can’t blame Cody for looking out for himself money wise but all of this is going to be laughable in August when he’s wrestling Steve-O at summerslam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All the discourse with money is awful (again, not here). People think that signing Danhausen for presumably what is one of the lower-end contracts is the reason you can't afford a Cody seven-figure contract. Or that, possibly, bringing in Buddy Matthews is the same financial outlay as what Owens was asking. 

Owens and Zayn are great but are you going to get into a massive seven-figure bidding war for them, especially after signing Bryan and Punk? 

Also, as always with WWE contracts, what they offer you and what you get are wildly different things. Gallows and Anderson were re-signed to major deals to keep them away from AEW and were then cut like a year later. 

I think this is one of those places where Meltzer is steering a misguided narrative. Unless it comes out that Cody was offered like a massive pay cut or something, I don't think there's much of an issue here.  

edit to add: in one week it went from "AEW is financially irresponsibly to bring in yet another guy like Keith Lee. They gotta stop adding talent" to "AEW is falling apart because they didn't offer Cody the money he was asking." 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 7

There's wrestlers in NXT 2.0 who are considerably greener than Brandi Rhodes Eden Styles, and a step behind her in terms of in-ring work.

1 minute ago, Blue Dragon said:

Well they reportedly don't want too much older women on the roster.

Anyway in IMPACT news, somebody is leaving, but fightful decided to hide who it is.

It's Rachel Ellering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Hagan said:

All the discourse with money is awful (again, not here). People think that signing Danhausen for presumably what is one of the lower-end contracts is the reason you can't afford a Cody seven-figure contract. Or that, possibly, bringing in Buddy Matthews is the same financial outlay as what Owens was asking. 

Owens and Zayn are great but are you going to get into a massive seven-figure bidding war for them, especially after signing Bryan and Punk? 

Also, as always with WWE contracts, what they offer you and what you get are wildly different things. Gallows and Anderson were re-signed to major deals to keep them away from AEW and were then cut like a year later. 

I think this is one of those places where Meltzer is steering a misguided narrative. Unless it comes out that Cody was offered like a massive pay cut or something, I don't think there's much of an issue here.  

edit to add: in one week it went from "AEW is financially irresponsibly to bring in yet another guy like Keith Lee. They gotta stop adding talent" to "AEW is falling apart because they didn't offer Cody the money he was asking." 

My issue is more so not the money but they keep hiring people when there are already people who are starting to flounder or not consistently featured on TV enough. Or they are constantly trying to squeeze as many people as possible into various promo segments.