DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

F4W

VIGNETTES? VIGNETTES? They're not gonna just have him come out on Raw with a mic out of the crowd? Or do anything really? We're gonna hype him with "coming soon: Cody Rhodes" like HE'S FUCKING NIKKITA LYONS?!?!?!?

This thing is already donzeo as any kind of significant angle, ya'll. 

CODY IS COMING

• Haha 2

Okay - that WON report that talked about the vignettes was from an SI.com report

And the most interesting thing from that was

The report pointed to a specific area of friction regarding Rhodes losing booking power over time:

"While Rhodes was never intended to overstay his welcome in the world title picture, one key factor that led to this exit was losing all responsibilities involving booking. That is a role where (Tony) Khan, who is the head of creative, has taken full rein. Originally, Rhodes was part of that process. As great as Dusty Rhodes was as a performer, his contributions as a booker are an integral part of his legacy. For Rhodes, AEW represented another chance to pay homage to his father as a booker while also further cementing his own legacy. Losing that opportunity in AEW hurt Rhodes more than any loss he suffered in the ring," he wrote.

There was nothing in the story about Rhodes having a booking/creative role within WWE upon his return.

Also Brandi will not be signing with WWE (at least not right away)

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'm pretty sure my wrestling fandom and my NBA fandom both revolve around the out of the ring/off the court stuff more than the in ring/on the court stuff.  Don't get me wrong, at their highest levels give me the matches and games, but day to day and week to week, give me the bullshit.

And in this day and age, you can't really avoid the outside stuff if you want to unless you stay off the net completely.

2 minutes ago, evidence said:

Another reality show they could do is one with legends living together. Arn, Tully, and Sting as roommates. 

Them constantly turning on Sting, eating his food in the fridge, flushing toilet while he us in shower, ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

A lot of this seems to be motivated by hurt feelings, but Cody is probably also thinking about being the first Rhodes to headline a Mania and win a WWE world title. That may be irresistible to him and he’ll make some concessions so that it can happen.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Such a shame they let Peter Avalon go because The American Nightmare Peter Avalon would instantly be the best thing on TV.

Then Cody comes back and we have a Taker vs. Taker-like build?

Fuch yaeh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - that WON report that talked about the vignettes was from an SI.com report

And the most interesting thing from that was

Also Brandi will not be signing with WWE (at least not right away)

This is something I don't buy just like I don't buy "No one liked BrandI" from Wade Keller. But if it is true, that's pretty dumb and petty on Cody's part. Dusty Rhodes had just as many booking clunkers as he had winners. 

Second of all, you can be the top wrestling star or the head booker. IMO you can't be both. But like if Cody really let this idea of him no being booker like his dad get into his head, that's some really dumb nonsense. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

The news that Cody quit because TK wouldn’t give him the book, because he desperately needed the book to live up to some bullshit he put on himself because of Dusty, is equal parts sad and fascinating.  Contrasting both Rhodes boys, how they grew up (one with Dusty, and one without) and how that affected them and who they are today is interesting to consider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He'd never agree to it, but the other solution: Total Bryan. 

Bryan dating and marrying a hard partying woman and then giving her shit for being hung over was often my favorite part of Total Divas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The news that Cody quit because TK wouldn’t give him the book, because he desperately needed the book to live up to some bullshit he put on himself because of Dusty, is equal parts sad and fascinating.  Contrasting both Rhodes boys, how they grew up (one with Dusty, and one without) and how that affected them and who they are today is interesting to consider.

If Crockett would've had the good sense of TK and made the much needed call to cut Dusty loose we may never have needed this Elitist promotion.  

• Haha 1

I love the take that Vince has to book Cody well as a sign to future AEW free agents. Like bitch yeah right. Lol. This fucker has zero patience or willingness to see anything through. MJF is signed for another two years iirc. You think Vince isn't gonna fuck around with Cody before that? He will be another guy by May. If you're making the jump from aew to wwe at this point it is for the money. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I love the take that Vince has to book Cody well as a sign to future AEW free agents. Like bitch yeah right. Lol. This fucker has zero patience or willingness to see anything through. MJF is signed for another two years iirc. You think Vince isn't gonna fuck around with Cody before that? He will be another guy by May. If you're making the jump from aew to wwe at this point it is for the money. 

Yep.

This is a straight up mean thing to say, and I legitimately hope Cody gets paid well and used well if he jumps to WWE, but...

There is definitely an element of this that feels like somebody getting back together with a life partner who was unkind or neglectful in the past (but promises that they have changed and things will be different this time), in order to spite the perfectly nice new life partner who didn't buy you all the expensive baubles you'd asked for. 

It's unlikely to end well, and there are likely to be some regrets, is what I'm trying to say.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is interesting. At what point did Cody stop booking his own segments? We often slam the performers of bad segments (Brandi) because the lack of writers, but I feel TK doesn’t get the same criticism as Head of Creative. I’d be shocked if the awkward Brandi/ Lambert and other Rhodes family missteps weren’t approved by Tony. 
If Cody was more hands on in his early AEW angles, that’s when he was at his best. Cody vs Dustin, Cody vs the Inner Circle, Cody vs MJF, the TNT title open challenge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean we could also look at it like the territory days when guys would travel from one to another when it was time to freshen the card up. AEW has a loaded roster and many folks have said Cody felt lost in the shuffle. So let him go to another territory, get over and get paid. Maybe he'll make some money there, and if he signs a short term deal he can be back at a time where he'll fit in.

I think a lot of folks want to spin this as something really dramatic, but if Cody believes he's the "Forbidden Door Builder" and Tony says it's always open, then they may both be looking at this as a chance to put their money where their mouth is. Now it's not just about being disgruntled with WWE and showing up on AEW TV. Or being on an indy/Japanese company and doing a guest spot on Rampage. It really means freedom to go leave and work for Vince, and maybe come back again without awkward petty bullshit.  Wanna go make money? Go. The door is open BOTH ways.

You guys, Cody really is changing the game. He's beyond borders. He's The Meta Nightmare now. He's like the Lawnmower Man of Wrestling.

Or..... it's all just booboo face lemme book some shit on TV for Punk money. You pick which reality you want to live in.

I know where I'll be.

the-lawnmower-man-poster-mar-6-1992.jpg

Wooooooaaahhh YOU'RE ONLY SMOKE AND MIRRORS

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1