DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

F4W

There was no timeframe given, but the report speculated Rhodes could begin filming vignettes at the Performance Center as soon as this weekend.

VIGNETTES? VIGNETTES? They're not gonna just have him come out on Raw with a mic out of the crowd? Or do anything really? We're gonna hype him with "coming soon: Cody Rhodes" like HE'S FUCKING NIKKITA LYONS?!?!?!?

This thing is already donzeo as any kind of significant angle, ya'll. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Cody's "I won't turn because you booed me! I did what CM Punk couldn't! Blah blah blah!" promo

Yo, this is one of the worst promos I've ever seen in my life.

God, I miss when promos were only about who is the toughest or oh, you attacked my valet/manager because you're less than a man and I will avenge them or I want to be the champ

Wrestling needs to dead this meta shit forever. It hasn't been cute or clever for well over a decade now.

I hate you, Vince Russo.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

You know what the right play is w regards to RTTT? Miro & CJ. They’re the right kind of crazy. 

If Turner insists on keeping a wrestling-based reality show, they should just do a different person each season. Mox, Miro, Tay/Anna, Jade, Sammy, Cole/Britt. There's no shortage of interesting material without overexposing or putting too much pressure on one person.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

God, I miss when promos were only about who is the toughest or oh, you attacked my valet/manager because you're less than a man and I will avenge them or I want to be the champ

Wrestling needs to dead this meta shit forever. It hasn't been cute or clever for well over a decade now.

I hate you, Vince Russo.

The other day my wife was telling me this wild story about a couple going through a breakup over an affair, and about halfway through I realized I didn’t know these people because they were from Vanderpump Rules. And I realized we all replace high school with something, and this shit is ours. I just think there’s a generational divide between us and the younger people that eat up the shooty stuff that’s primarily based on social media posts. We love being a catty sewing circle, we just also want to watch our stories without all the inside baseball. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

so, this exchange was from a 2003 MLW show i just watched the other day, but it was awesome:

Steve Corino (heel): Terry Funk, you old washed up, past-his-prime dog, you never beat me [blah blah blah. long but decent enough promo]

Terry Funk (face, duh): Corino, we're both dogs, but you're an EGG SUCKING DOG

crowd pops. boom, end of promo. i'm sold on the rematch. that's all you need.  (and i generally enjoyed Cody's promos- not the rah rah America one, but basically every other one)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The other day my wife was telling me this wild story about a couple going through a breakup over an affair, and about halfway through I realized I didn’t know these people because they were from Vanderpump Rules. And I realized we all replace high school with something, and this shit is ours. I just think there’s a generational divide between us and the younger people that eat up the shooty stuff that’s primarily based on social media posts. We love being a catty sewing circle, we just also want to watch our stories without all the inside baseball. 

i know quite a few people that didn't get this memo.

22 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I hate you, Vince Russo.

Cutting that kind of promo (and the “I’m the guy who built this bank!” one) knowing he may be leaving is such a narcissistic piece of shit move.

• Like 5

I do accept that modern pro wrestling has passed me by entirely. I still reserve the right to shoo these wrestlers with their newfangled promos off my damn lawn, though.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Mad Max?

Every time he leaves somewhere to starts another "civlization"

Max never started another civilization, he just found another one, while fleeing the prior one, that spurned him and he had to try and protect to save his own ass. 

And Cody is no Max Rockatansky

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And Cody is no Max Rockatansky

Cody’s like Max in Thunderdome: he does some cool garbage/cage match stuff and then the rest of the time he’s mostly not that interesting and pandering to children. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Hagan said:

F4W

VIGNETTES? VIGNETTES? They're not gonna just have him come out on Raw with a mic out of the crowd? Or do anything really? We're gonna hype him with "coming soon: The American Nightmare" like HE'S FUCKING NIKKITA LYONS?!?!?!?

This thing is already donzeo as any kind of significant angle, ya'll. 

Fixed that for ya ?

Will LOL big time if Vince tries to trademark Cody's nickname & then they stop calling him Cody all together. Do to him what they did to "Big Show" Paul Wight & "Texas Tornado" KVE.

"I'm not gonna make him famous only to jump over and trade on that name damn it!" - Vince, probably.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He'd never agree to it, but the other solution: Total Bryan. 

No: Total Danhausen.

GIVE DANHAUSEN ALL THE MONIES!!!

• Thanks 4

I like the idea of Cody going to the NWA for a run against Cardona.  

Cardona is really good for the NWAs profile (as slim as it is).  A Cody run as challenger for the belt would have plenty of spark to fire up a big show for the struggling promotion.  Cody was good for the Indy scene before.  He can be that again.  

WWE is so fucking lame these days.  I just don’t see the upside (beyond the paycheck, I guess).  

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit that I love the backstage drama as much as (hell, maybe more than!) the stuff I actually see on tv when it comes to pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Cody doing indies and maybe non-wrestling projects, then coming back to AEW later could work.

There's a lot of options, and seeing all the support for Cody and Brandi, I believe they are good folks, so I wish the best for both of them. 

I think it's possible Cody doesn't know what his next move is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Anyone who’s seen Danhausen’s wife would know that an RTTT type of show where he’s in character the entire time would essentially be a very watchable Roger and Jessica Rabbit live action series. 

Having never seen Danhausen before he turned up in AEW I would absolutely watch this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Having never seen Danhausen before he turned up in AEW I would absolutely watch this.

Not sure TBS would go for it but it could be really fun; vampy, campy in all the right ways. 

In a side note, on Youtube TV, the info for Dynamite says featuring Cody and Brandi Rhodes (which I had never noticed until now). I guess being Brand Officer means you get some say on how the product gets described. 

Edited by chriskbrown50

24 minutes ago, Log said:

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit that I love the backstage drama as much as (hell, maybe more than!) the stuff I actually see on tv when it comes to pro wrestling.

I'm pretty sure my wrestling fandom and my NBA fandom both revolve around the out of the ring/off the court stuff more than the in ring/on the court stuff.  Don't get me wrong, at their highest levels give me the matches and games, but day to day and week to week, give me the bullshit.

• Like 1