DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

This is super fun palace intrigue, but I doubt this moves the needle for either company.

Are WWE fans really clamoring for Cody Rhodes? He was a pretty generic midcarder for most of his time there. Ironically, I think the only reason the needle might move for a week or two is AEW fans checking out his debut before the ensuing segments remind them why they stopped watching WWE years ago. He'll be booked well enough, probably along the lines of Drew McIntyre who had a similar career arc on a smaller scale. He'll have his moment in the spotlight, then go back to the upper midcard rotation.

While he was a founding father for AEW, the company has outgrown him creatively. Jericho does the role Cody should be doing way better than Cody ever could. What AEW fans wanted is a big-budget alternative to WWE, and they have that now. It's possible be respectful of Cody's legacy within the company, while understanding that he just doesn't really fit in anymore as a top guy. The only program I feel like was left on the table was with Punk. Otherwise, freeing up the tv time he was getting for his meandering programs for other talent will probably only improve the average show quality.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's possible be respectful of Cody's legacy within the company, while understanding that he just doesn't really fit in anymore as a top guy. 

Meltzer is the tastemaker who's helped make this all possible, and even he was throwing five stars at Cody mere weeks ago for a marquee match. I really think people are over-exaggerating how out-of-step Cody has been with what these people want. 

• Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Arm turning on Cody would get a babyface pop.

Cody v his own arm will probably be his first feud back in WWE. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

15 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Wait, we could all be missing the big story here. Didn't Cody have a hand in training Hook? If Hook leaves AEW that could be curtains for them.

Like when Jerry Jarrett took Vladimir Koslov to Vince and he got him signed 

• Like 1

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but Cody could leave, come back under a mask like another Rhodes we all know and love and win the AEW title.  Or he could just leave, come back and then compete.  Not sure word for word what his "I won't compete for the AEW title if I lose" clause was but maybe they have him embrace the fan hate. Cody leaves and comes back as  a Stardust type heel with Brandy as his manager.  

At this point nothing would shock me anymore. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Nobody is going to be upset if Brandi Rhodes is the NXT women's champion in 6 months time.

It's wrestling. Wrestling fans. Somebody is going to be upset whenever anyone does anything. Ever.

Often, quite a lot of somebodies.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Couple more notes from Meltzer on the radio show this morning

- Everything was released yesterday because TK and Cody both knew the story was breaking/about to break. (That Andrew Zakarian guy believes the WWE was pushing the story to news folks to get it to break ASAP)

- In regards to the options - Dave said he was surprised earlier this year when TK said he wasn't going to pick up all the options and figured he was talking about like Frankie Kazarian. He thought of everyone, Cody and the Young Bucks were going to be there for the long haul - long past say Jericho and Omega

- Dave brought up again that TK is operating on a budget and isn't "a rich guy spending crazy money". He specifically said that is why AEW didn't make an offer to Kevin Owens. Dave theorizes that after the next TV deal *IF* it happens in 2024 - would cause a big increase in the talent budget pool. (Side note - Dave has folks insisting that the rights increase is definitely gonna happen while Dave is cautious about just assuming it is gonna happen. It then spun in to a talk about how that WarnerMedia now has a taste for wrestling - they might bid for WWE. This whole part was wild speculation)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think WWE is paying him too much money to not book Cody strong. The caveat to that being that current WWE booking can fuck people even when they think they’re pushing them. But Cody is going to come in as a big babyface, and if they play their cards right, he can be the solution to this interminable Roman as Universal champ quagmire that they have yet lacked enough faith in any other babyface to extract themselves from.

• Like 2

Also - and this was another point Meltzer brought up - if Cody goes to the WWE and isn't booked strongly, that sends a message to future AEW guys thinking about jumping to WWE (Dave specifically named MJF and Wardlow as guys the WWE definitely wants to target)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think WWE is paying him too much money to not book Cody strong. The caveat to that being that current WWE booking can fuck people even when they think they’re pushing them. But Cody is going to come in as a big babyface, and if they play their cards right, he can be the solution to this interminable Roman as Universal champ quagmire that they have yet lacked enough faith in any other babyface to extract themselves from.

I think you're right, but then this is also the company that put a wig on Goldberg and squandered an entire WCW cross promotional feud.  Ha, I suppose they're spending more on Cody than they did WCW tho.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@AxB Along the same lines, I noticed last night on Dark they either took him out (or he was never in) the Dynamite ads

Which is funny (not ha ha) because it was obvious he did the table fire spot in part so that it'd be in the opening of Dynamite for the next three years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Another Dark thought, while I'm on it: if he's still involved with that school, what's to stop Cody from funneling all his and QT's best students down to NXT? There's so many layers to this thing.

They just want their trainees to get shots because it then helps market their school

Shawn Spears is frequently tagging the WWE to promote folks from Flatbacks. And it isn't like there aren't say Booker T trainees (to randomly pick one person) at both companies.

• Like 2