DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

This was the post with the ratings from that Dynamite, it was over 200k at the top of the hour and even Punk-MJF couldn't get it back to where it was before that brutal segment: 

She did post this in January. 

Truly don't know what to make of any of this. But I can't buy this is all because of a big money contract.

• Like 2

we haven't had Edge face Cody Rhodes in almost 11 years

last meeting: Edge/Cena/Orton/Rey vs Alberto/CM Punk/Cody/Miz in a dark match at the Rosemont Horizon

Istanbul got a Alberto/Cody/Drew McIntyre vs Rey Mysterio/Edge/Bret Hart match in November 2010 and if Bret's book was any indicator, he might have bedded a gorgeous Turkish woman that night.

We've never had Edge vs Cody Rhodes in a one on one, but there was a match in Roanoke with Edge, Alberto Del Rio, and Cody Rhodes in a triple threat

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Guys, it’s not a work. The work was him convincing people that he wa some anti-WWE rebel to begin with. He’s always just been a wrestler angling for the biggest payday, as God intended.

Truly was US Agent this whole time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rhodes has been poisonous for that promotion & TV show for going on 2 years now -- some were just a little slow to catch on. If they can transition him out without any great drama then that is a huge boon for AEW. Jericho is the other problem child they will need to navigate at some point fairly soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kinda amused at what it takes to be considered "poisonous" to a promotion these days compared to 20/25 years ago when I started watching and guys were appearing in no condition to perform regularly and being a lot more unprofessional.

I guess Cody didn't handle being surpassed as nimbly as Ron Howard handling his disappointment that Fonzie became more popular on Happy Days before finally leaving to become a director (sorry, I just read "The Boys" a few weeks ago and Ron Howard was able to simultaneously be good friends with Fonzie while being consistently unhappy with the network pushing Fonzie at the expense of Richie Cunningham)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Kinda amused at what it takes to be considered "poisonous" to a promotion these days compared to 20/25 years ago when I started watching and guys were appearing in no condition to perform regularly and being a lot more unprofessional.

I guess Cody didn't handle being surpassed as nimbly as Ron Howard handling his disappointment that Fonzie became more popular on Happy Days before finally leaving to become a director (sorry, I just read "The Boys" a few weeks ago and Ron Howard was able to simultaneously be good friends with Fonzie while being consistently unhappy with the network pushing Fonzie at the expense of Richie Cunningham)

But did Zack and Slater have the same bond?  We all know Screech got the shaft.  What about Dawson when Pacey became the mightier of the 2 ducks?

• Like 1

Some takes in here are straight up dookie lol.

AEW exists because of Cody. Had he not had the chip on shoulder / Dusty's kid complex / motivation to push for more, All In never happens. All In was the catalyst for TK to start getting meetings with Warner and putting the pieces together. The Bucks alone, Kenny Omega alone, Ibushi, Hangman, ect none of them would be the ballsy guy making bets with Meltzer about drawing 10k. Cody's tweet bet doesn't happen, AEW doesn't happen. Simple as that.

Everyone's free to not like his segments and character and all that. But it's a weird situation where Cody is kind of the heart / balls of AEW. Being that it doesn't even exist without him making that bet. And I have a bad feeling this will set a precedent that AEW is less the fan friendly revolution that it's been positioned as and more just TK's personal WWE. I may not be making the point clearly that I'm reaching for. But if Cody can leave so can Omega or The Bucks. The idea was pushed as this group of unique ballsy self made draws were creating this living breathing haven for wrestling. But in reality they are all just the public face of another cooperate wrestling company.

The EVP positions are all just sham PR. I'm not sure if that is irrelevant or super relevant. Punk and Danielson and Mox are great. But the spark for AEW, at least from my perspective, was this anti cooperate self made rebel feeling. And that's just not what AEW is now. Maybe it never really was. But that was the thing I bit on the hardest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MeTV was airing a Full House marathon on Sunday and I never realized until then that John Stamos got the "Starring" spot in the credits instead of Bob Saget. But fortunately Bob handled that with dignity and was good friends with the other dads on the show and Bob certainly didn't make any awkward jokes about the show later on.

But yeah, if the standard for being poisonous is that "people don't like you but they keep doing to shows".. it beats some of the other ways that people were pains in the ass before.

This thing sorta seems like a "welcome to the wrestling business" thing for Tony because this is sort of the first big professional adversity he has faced since the company started (I hope I worded that the right way). Tony can overcome Cody departing but this sort of stuff doesn't happen when you run a TNM fed or TEW or all the fantasy booking but it does happen when you get to deal with egos.

• Like 3

Cody loss being a “perception hit” .. this is the same guy who was show-central when they were c. 750k viewers a week, loafing around with a bunch of bums in the cringe-inducingly named “Nightmare Family”. Who was boo-ed out of the building because his corpulent, lame creative stunk the joint out week to week & brought people like Black down with it. Whose act sucked so much some people tried to trick themselves into believing it was some avant garde meta creation .. when in fact it was a pretty simple minded dude who can’t script logical creative stories and got a neck tattoo and bleached his hair at age 35 being .. the kind of simple minded dude lacking self awareness who gets a neck tattoo and bleaches his hair at age 35? This dude is going to be a loss when in the past 9 months they’ve added Danielson, Punk, Lee, Black etc. and grown the ratings as his influence has eroded? Yeah .. hard pass on that one.

• Like 2

If Cody really is leaving, it's probably best for everyone concerned. Hopefully he gets a big contract and a decent push from Vince.

I think it might be a good thing for pro wrestling as a whole if guys like Cody and (let's say) Jericho or MJF jumped back and forth between AEW and WWE every once in a while. 

I could easily see Cody going the WWE, being used near the top for a while, drifting in 50/50 purgatory until his contract expires, then being welcomed back to All Elite with open arms.

If this is a big swing at a Brian Pillman style "swerve everyone" storyline, I think it's doomed to fail catastrophically. Fairly or not, the lion's share of the AEW fan base has turned against Cody. Even if he came back as a full-on heel, I think he'd end up getting more "fuck off" heat than heel heat right now.

If he actually joins WWE then quits and returns to AEW before his contract expires and that leads to the Khans having a team of lawyers on retainer to take on WWE in court w/r/t the whole "independent contractor" thing... and it turns out that was the plan all along... that would be mind-blowing. 

I honestly think, though, that he's really moving on and as I said that feels like the best thing for everyone right now. Cody's got a legacy of getting the whole ball rolling, having truly great matches against his brother, Mr. Brodie Lee, Sammy, etc etc (plus the NWA Title match at All In 2018 that ties back in to getting the ball rolling), he's a genuinely big name now with appeal outside of the pro wrestling world... He's gonna be fine. Plus he might actually benefit from having someone else script his promos and character for a while.

AEW's roster is stacked, the Codyverse stuff wasn't really fitting in any more, and this genuinely seems like a fairly amicable split. It's not like they are going to struggle to put on great pro wrestling shows without Cody and Brandy around. 

Really, Cody jumping to WWE seems like a rare genuine win/win situation. 

Edit: It was cool to wake up to this, also. A really interesting and unexpected bit of news, and several pages of varied and interesting takes to read.

Edited by Gordlow
apppeal
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

we haven't had Edge face Cody Rhodes in almost 11 years

last meeting: Edge/Cena/Orton/Rey vs Alberto/CM Punk/Cody/Miz in a dark match at the Rosemont Horizon

Istanbul got a Alberto/Cody/Drew McIntyre vs Rey Mysterio/Edge/Bret Hart match in November 2010 and if Bret's book was any indicator, he might have bedded a gorgeous Turkish woman that night.

We've never had Edge vs Cody Rhodes in a one on one, but there was a match in Roanoke with Edge, Alberto Del Rio, and Cody Rhodes in a triple threat

"Ben var olanın en iyisiyim, var olanın en iyisiyim ve olabileceklerin de en iyisiyim!"

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The EVP positions are all just sham PR. I'm not sure if that is irrelevant or super relevant. Punk and Danielson and Mox are great. But the spark for AEW, at least from my perspective, was this anti cooperate self made rebel feeling. And that's just not what AEW is now. Maybe it never really was. But that was the thing I bit on the hardest.

The spark for AEW was a PE dude with a strong interest in PW cleverly realising that the monopolistic force in the industry is at its lowest ebb in 40 years and seizing the opportunity to create a stronger alternative product. The rest is just fluff. The promotion lives and dies by the strength of its product comparative with the competition around it. That’s it. Period. If the spark for AEW was the original roster set then that spark was stagnating pretty hard before they revitalised it with more talented new blood. At the end of the days the wider public just want a good show to watch - and WWE haven’t given that arguably in decades now, so that is the niche AEW should set out to fill, however and whoever they get there with.

The Excellence of Execution flows better than "yürütmenin mükemmelliği"

Speaking of execution... I'd guess that there's not a great chance of Cody going to Jeddah in a few days because it seems difficult to get him across the ocean and not have someone say "Cody's appearing in the WWE tonight". They'd sorta want some people to know it's coming, but not too many.

Also, they might need to cover up the neck tat if Cody went to Jeddah... but fortunately he has a gimmick for that!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Some takes in here are straight up dookie lol.

AEW exists because of Cody. Had he not had the chip on shoulder / Dusty's kid complex / motivation to push for more, All In never happens. All In was the catalyst for TK to start getting meetings with Warner and putting the pieces together. The Bucks alone, Kenny Omega alone, Ibushi, Hangman, ect none of them would be the ballsy guy making bets with Meltzer about drawing 10k. Cody's tweet bet doesn't happen, AEW doesn't happen. Simple as that.

Everyone's free to not like his segments and character and all that. But it's a weird situation where Cody is kind of the heart / balls of AEW. Being that it doesn't even exist without him making that bet. And I have a bad feeling this will set a precedent that AEW is less the fan friendly revolution that it's been positioned as and more just TK's personal WWE. I may not be making the point clearly that I'm reaching for. But if Cody can leave so can Omega or The Bucks. The idea was pushed as this group of unique ballsy self made draws were creating this living breathing haven for wrestling. But in reality they are all just the public face of another cooperate wrestling company.

One can only hope...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Wyld Samurai said:

Am I the only one wondering where this leaves Arn? We never got an Anderson double crossing a Rhodes in the 21st century! 

Cody leaving is a Rhodes finally double crossing an Anderson.  This is the completion of the circle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5