DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

We're keeping the good one!

I will just assume it's not a work and he's going to WWE. Did the Codyverse add a wrinkle to AEW that made it more interesting? Maybe, but I'm not sure I'll really miss it. And not that I watch much WWE these days, but I can see someone thinking there's a spot for him at or near the top of the card. 

Of course, Low Ki was very much the heart and soul of ROH.....then it became CM Punk. 20 years later, only one of the names has changed.

• Like 3

Guessing there isn’t enough time to logically do this (a tradition among big Wrestling jumps [Hart to WCW just before Hogan/Sting, WWF buying WCW the week before Wrestlemania]) but…

Someone takes out Riddle at Saudimania on Saturday. Opening a spot in the Elimination Chamber. Then Cody Rhodes shows up in Jeddah to beat Lashley for the title (with a side item of Reigns luring Lesnar away)

Orton and Cody interact next Monday, only for Riddle to reveal that Cody was the one who jumped Riddle. And then we get Cody vs Lashley vs Orton vs Riddle for some reason because every other match for the B World Title must have a bunch of dudes in it.

Being the first AEW to WWE guy would be a smart move, if you're a big enough name in AEW , and Cody is.

You're not going to get buried, because burying Cody in this case makes it harder to get future young AEW talent.  Cody is going to be treated as a top guy or very near the top if he comes back (most likely the latter- prob around Big E level at a minimum)

• Like 3

Good riddance. I've been giving Cody waaaaay too much credit assuming his heel who thinks he's a babyface act was intentional or going anywhere. 

Unless it's a work, but then I still don't know where it's going and I still don't care. AEW doesn't need him anymore and he can take Jericho with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So this is a slightly different spot from the WWE thinking highly of Bobby Lashley early on but they also took 10 years to bring him back after he had multiple TNA/Impact stints and a non-UFC MMA career?

Theres some precedent that if you want a higher spot in the WWE, you have to leave the WWE.

I’m guessing Wipeout and Go Big Show tape in different places, right?

• Like 2

The Nightmare Factory is co-owned/run by Cody and QT together right? QT is basically Tony Khan's Fink or Bruce. Booking assistant, office guy, has a hand in everything. I think he's in too deep. A lot of the young talent are Factory trainees. Curious how all that'll work.

• Like 2

A rational person could see Cody as someone who could serve as an example of how big acquisitions from AEW will be treated fairly and used well and in good faith. Unclear how many rational people are in the mix.

At the very least, I understand a main event guy recently lost his Mania opponent. 

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If this ends up not being a work, part of me wonders if TK may have put his foot down about Brandi being on TV after that very confusing Lambert segment a few weeks back, thus driving the decision to leave. Again, a lot of ifs.

All of his talk about doing a storyline that has never been done before makes me think this is part of a work, but realistically, if all of these other factors like press releases and lawyers are coming into play, it's not a work. In addition to the Brandi stuff, and again, she is legit maybe the worst thing I've seen on TV since the worst of TNA or the worst of WWE in the last few years, maybe Cody's big time story idea ran into a brick wall with Tony. Outside of Cody's first year and a half, it has all been diminishing returns with that guy and he's gotten weirder and weirder. Most of his storylines downright sucked. The Codyverse was maybe the worst part of AEW.

14 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Vince never saw Cody as a main eventer, I don't think he's going to magically change his mind nowadays.  Even if Cody comes in, I don't think you'd see him past an IC level guy and most likely him and Brandi feuding against Miz and Maryse.

And this is where I want to clarify my statement that Cody is a fucking idiot. He is an idiot if he's going back to WWE. This dude isn't going to make Roman money. Hell, he's probably not even going to make Kevin Owens money. I would be surprised if he's even at the bottom of top earners in WWE. You also have to look at how creatively stifled literally everything in WWE is. Cody left because of how stifled he was. Going back would be some real carny shit showing he truly is his father's son. Then take a look at how Jeff Hardy or John Morrison or most others who have come back to WWE have been booked. Maybe the best example is Lashley, and again, it feels like a miracle he's in the position he's in. It took a pandemic, putting him together with MVP and others to form the Hurt Business, that one cool moment they had during the hilariously bad Undergound, confronting the even worse WWE Antifa, and then they fucking broke up the Hurt Business. Somehow, someway, Lashley made it to the top of the card maybe more out of necessity than anything else. Look at how that guy started though. Remember that fucking awful feud with Sami Zayn? If he goes back to WWE, best case scenario is he winds up being Owens opponent instead of Austin because that Austin thing sounds so far fetched.

With the amount of talent that is out there, I think Cody would be better served to start a third national company (I still feel like I can't quite count Impact as a national company these days). It would take finding a money mark and TK feels like a unicorn in terms of wrestling company owners. I wouldn't say the dude is a money mark at all. He has the money and is more or less playing out EWR in real life. I just don't think there's anyone else out like that that exists. The GCW stuff with Cardona also sounds like a good idea. GCW has grown so much in popularity lately that I wonder if they're on the verge of growing even more. 

This whole situation is very weird and I'm curious to see what Cody and Brandi will have to say about all of it in the coming days.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And this is where I want to clarify my statement that Cody is a fucking idiot. He is an idiot if he's going back to WWE. This dude isn't going to make Roman money. Hell, he's probably not even going to make Kevin Owens money.

For what its worth - Meltzer absolutely thinks Cody is getting offered the same (if not more) that KO and Sami just got

And that isn't factoring in a multi-million dollar pay day from the Saudis (especially if he debuts at EC)

• Like 1

If it’s real, it kinda stinks that the EVP that actively shits up aew’s product the least is leaving. I don’t see this as a negative for AEW, however. Their roster and product outgrew Cody.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well many like me wonder what happen when a big name left AEW - a founding EVP with a reality show and game show on the Turner networks is pretty much big. in the US market, Cody Rhodes has name value with AEW.  Must have been some really interesting set of discussions, and TK has some sense of Cody's value to AEW that differs with Cody's view. 

Curious to see what they do with Cody's reality show which I expect is primarily in the can; the synergy between AEW and his other shows should really be fun to watch. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 minutes ago, just drew said:

If it’s real, it kinda stinks that the EVP that actively shits up aew’s product the least is leaving. I don’t see this as a negative for AEW, however. Their roster and product outgrew Cody.

I'm no Omega mark but I have enjoyed heel Kenny more than Cody for the most part. There are quite a few potential matchups I'd rather Omega had than Rhodes. 

Annoyed that we may not get Cody flipping out and attacking Arn to lead to a rematch with Dustin, but then this may all just be a work. 

Let's be honest, the worst thing about Cody leaving is gonna be all the bad faith takes from the usual idiots on how Tony Khan is running his company into the ground. Expect a lot of "too busy signing people like Keith Lee instead of focusing on the real stars like Cody" from the co-opted WWE nitwits. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The Nightmare Factory is co-owned/run by Cody and QT together right? QT is basically Tony Khan's Fink or Bruce. Booking assistant, office guy, has a hand in everything. I think he's in too deep. A lot of the young talent are Factory trainees. Curious how all that'll work.

This is what I was wondering. Which of the young talent are "Cody people"? And do any of them follow Cody?