DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

This has to be a swerve.  All of the badmouthing he has done publicly going over the top to throw shade at HHH, the WWE not giving him the titles of gimmicks/shows  his dad created/etc.    If he were to go back it would look bad on him. The guy who trashed the company and built something better only to leave and crawl back.  Doesn't sound right to me.

The only thing I could see happening is if Tony didn't want Brandi on TV anymore and Cody got pissy over it.  He doesn't seem like a guy who would leave over money and I would think Tony would pay to keep him unless the differences were too strong.

Really interested to see where this goes. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

This has to be a swerve.  All of the badmouthing he has done publicly going over the top to throw shade at HHH, the WWE not giving him the titles of gimmicks/shows  his dad created/etc.    If he were to go back it would look bad on him. The guy who trashed the company and built something better only to leave and crawl back.  Doesn't sound right to me.

kinda my thoughts too.

IF Cody moves to WWE, i have to assume that he'd be getting something BIG to re-join. a title run is bare minimum here. Dusty's copyrights to all those shows/gimmicks? is there a tape library for the old Championship Wrestling from Florida? does Vince own that? 

Just now, twiztor said:

kinda my thoughts too.

IF Cody moves to WWE, i have to assume that he'd be getting something BIG to re-join. a title run is bare minimum here. Dusty's copyrights to all those shows/gimmicks? is there a tape library for the old Championship Wrestling from Florida? does Vince own that? 

I don't believe Vince owns those tapes.  I had a conversation with Lawler right before Covid hit, thinking summer 2019  and I wanted to see about getting all of the USWA on the network. Long story short, Lawler believed that Vince didn't own any Footage from Florida or Oregon.  He said something happened with the Stampede footage and was told to pull any of that as well.  I haven't watched much of the Network (i hate the peacock app)  so Lawler and I could be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Cody KIND OF comes off like the sort of guy who would buy all the Omni footage and then hoard it so no one could see it. Just saying.

I would pay a pretty penny for Pro-Shot Omni full shows.  As a kid I never understood why JR talked up these huge PPV worthy cards at the Omni but I could never watch them. It was confusing to 7 yr old me.  38 yr old me would love to see these (or any pro-shot WCW house show)   Sadly the 89 Philly show w Steamboat-Flair is the only early pro-shot house show in circulation.  By early I mean Pre-Hogan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I don't believe Vince owns those tapes.  I had a conversation with Lawler right before Covid hit, thinking summer 2019  and I wanted to see about getting all of the USWA on the network. Long story short, Lawler believed that Vince didn't own any Footage from Florida or Oregon.  He said something happened with the Stampede footage and was told to pull any of that as well.  I haven't watched much of the Network (i hate the peacock app)  so Lawler and I could be wrong. 

I do recall the Stampede part being true from when I had it, a bunch of stuff disappeared from some collection of Bret matches

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

So Cody Rhodes vs Stone Cold Steve Austin errrr Kevin Owens at Wrestlemania?

They will try to make Austins big return match (if these rumors are true) into a Austin/Owens/Cody three-way and then Steve will just walk out on them again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Someone on here in the Discord said "GCW bound" and I can definitely see him and Cardona running roughshod over the indies until WWE comes up with a figure.

I don’t know. At what point does GCW just go too far off brand with yet another “he doesn’t belong here” invader? I mean at some point you are just going to a show with Matt Cardona, Jeff Jarrett and Cody Rhodes on it.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Regarding the Ryker - he really is gonna be a perfect signing for Control The Narrative folks

Just gonna amend that to Cody Rhodes too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Two things:

1) As it's been said, this is Tony's company.  If he and Cody don't see eye to eye on something, Tony's probably going to be the one to make the final call.  

2) "Crawl back" makes Cody sound like he has no agency in this.  By all indications, he rejected AEW's final best offer and is now a free agent.  If, and that's a *massive* if at this point, he returns to WWE it's because he's cashing in.  I really doubt he'll pick them solely because no one else wants him.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

When WWE did 24/7 they had random FCW episodes hosted by Mike Graham. They do not have Oregon for sure, but may own Florida.

42 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He said something happened with the Stampede footage and was told to pull any of that as well

Bret Hart has various rights with his matches on Stampede and if he’s not going along then there’s probably not a lot of Stampede to post.

I’d heard that Memphis ran without a copyright notice for awhile in the 80s meaning the stuff could legally be public domain (please consult an attorney before you try making money off of that) and Florida does stick out for not being on the network but idk if there’s some sort of rights complication or source footage problem.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

On the bright side though, no more Brandi Rhodes shitting up literally every appearance she's ever made save that one time she came out to try to stop Brodie from killing Cody.

If this ends up not being a work, part of me wonders if TK may have put his foot down about Brandi being on TV after that very confusing Lambert segment a few weeks back, thus driving the decision to leave. Again, a lot of ifs.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Cody comes back under a mask and pins Page for the AEW World title. How hard would you mark?

Or he signs a Turner contract and works for AEW, like some of those old Turner contracts WCW guys had for WCW.