DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

I’m not surprised honestly. Cody had been distant from the EVP’s since around the early portion of the pandemic, and his onscreen persona completely fumbled after the Ogogo program. If he’s going to continue, he’ll need a refresh at this point. It sucks, cuz now the WWE has a key guy that has the ear of one there top stars in MJF. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is Hunter's ticker up to Cody's ultimate dream match? ? 

I kinda want Cody to come out in Terminator gear as Triple H's new protege and grab a microphone and say "WCW sucked actually" and be the biggest heel in everywhere but Vince's mind.

• Haha 5

So EVP is just a title and doesn’t carry any degree of equity stake, as no way Cody walks away from that

Good luck to Cody, even if I don’t get it and hope he’s okay given how erratic his promos and interviews have been for the past six months - that ladder one was something. Going from doing whatever you want on national TV (often to the detriment of the show) to having meaningless three star matches with Damien Priest for 8 weeks in a row is an odd choice, but I guess it’s a choice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Did anyone hear him on Unrestricted LAST WEEK talking about the community program and all of his plans for it? That did not sound like a guy who was going anywhere anytime soon. I could see WWE saying he could basically be in charge of their charity work and that move him to jump on the idea he could do even more good or something but even then, the sort of stuff that they do is much less grassroots than what he was trying to do in AEW.

Seriously, go listen to Unrestricted with him and Amanda Huber.

The line that stood out the most was him saying he'd absolutely never lay down for anyone in AEW who refused when asked to do charity work.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

More info from Fightful has been leaked

Spoiler

Cody Rhodes and Brandi Rhodes have left AEW after they could not come to terms on a new contract. Fightful was told by AEW sources last Friday that Cody sought a big money deal, and several didn't think that a re-signing was going to happen. By that night, numerous people inside and outside the company had knowledge of the situation, and were of the belief that Cody was leaving the company. However, inquiries started to come to Cody directly over the weekend, which he claimed were spun.

Shortly before the announcement, WWE officials were aware of the situation and also knew that an announcement would be dropped. We've heard that the two sides have at the least had discussions, but WWE was well aware that an announcement regarding Rhodes' departure would be made at 10 am EST.

About 15 minutes before Cody's announcement, word had also spread to AEW talent that he was leaving the company.

Cody Rhodes and Brandi haven't been quite as connected to the locker room in recent years as when AEW started, with word emerging that Cody had become distant from other EVPs.

• Like 4

• RIPPA pinned this topic
  • RIPPA changed the title to 2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

Just on the WON radio show this morning Meltzer was saying how - like a month ago he was "no way Cody is leaving" till now Dave saying "I can no longer say that"

At least we know Cody won't be debuting in the Royal Rumble

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Obviously Vince is going to want him to badmouth aew, even if it’s just a throwaway line like some of the guys have used going the other way. Curious if he’ll draw that line or not. 

Got to say this is interesting. I’ll definitely be tuned into wwe when he shows up.