DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

More info from Fightful has been leaked

Spoiler

Cody Rhodes and Brandi Rhodes have left AEW after they could not come to terms on a new contract. Fightful was told by AEW sources last Friday that Cody sought a big money deal, and several didn't think that a re-signing was going to happen. By that night, numerous people inside and outside the company had knowledge of the situation, and were of the belief that Cody was leaving the company. However, inquiries started to come to Cody directly over the weekend, which he claimed were spun.

Shortly before the announcement, WWE officials were aware of the situation and also knew that an announcement would be dropped. We've heard that the two sides have at the least had discussions, but WWE was well aware that an announcement regarding Rhodes' departure would be made at 10 am EST.

About 15 minutes before Cody's announcement, word had also spread to AEW talent that he was leaving the company.

Cody Rhodes and Brandi haven't been quite as connected to the locker room in recent years as when AEW started, with word emerging that Cody had become distant from other EVPs.

• Like 4

• RIPPA pinned this topic
  • RIPPA changed the title to 2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

Just on the WON radio show this morning Meltzer was saying how - like a month ago he was "no way Cody is leaving" till now Dave saying "I can no longer say that"

At least we know Cody won't be debuting in the Royal Rumble

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Obviously Vince is going to want him to badmouth aew, even if it’s just a throwaway line like some of the guys have used going the other way. Curious if he’ll draw that line or not. 

Got to say this is interesting. I’ll definitely be tuned into wwe when he shows up. 

I guess Vince is bringing back the kiss my ass club. 

I'm not all that sad to see Cody go. I wonder what Arn does now as well as what they do with his reality show. 

Either way, I'll be farting one out for Cody and Brandi later this afternoon. 

Edited by Fartsauce
  • Haha 2

Just now, Matt D said:

I'm sort of sad I won't get to write up Brandi matches for Dark anymore. That was always a mental challenge. Ah well, guess they have to do Van Zandt vs Tay Conti instead? Or hey, if they want to go heel vs heel, Serena Deeb?

Paige VanZant is automatically the biggest babyface in the women’s division if she claims she scared Brandi so much she left AEW.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If this all comes together as the most exhausting worked-shoot-whatever in wrestling history and we get some weird megaheel Cody in AEW thing, great.

If Cody's really that much on the outs w/ the core creative + locker room of AEW, is really that upset that the crowd desperately wants to boo him and Brandi, and wants to free up hours and hours of monthly AEW TV, great.

Either you've got a potentially really well-executed main event heel turn to last the rest of the year OR there was never a "slow burn" and this shit has been going nowhere since The Day the Tattoo Happened, in a company that has more talent than TV time. Leaning towards the former.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

Somehow surprising and not surprising. In many ways, going back to WWE at this moment is the best shot Cody has at becoming a main event act there. But,  more likely he's going to be in the same spot that Rollins and Owens is. Not a bad spot, reasonably well-booked and making a boatload of money but on the hamster wheel clearly behind the real top stars. 

Obviously, a lot of stories are gonna come out now regarding whatever creative frustrations he had and/or whatever issues he with the Elite.  

He's still a young guy though and a weird guy and I really, really doubt that he's going to spend the rest of his career going 50/50 in WWE though. Probably a lot more chapters to be written here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Imagine the overdone entrances. Sweaty, sweaty stuff.

I think if Hunter can’t work then it’s just a cinematic Into the Codyverse match that’s just entrances. Thrones, hammers, Terminators, bikers, Cody’s neck tattoo anthropomorphizes and jumps off his neck and interacts with us like Clippy from Microsoft, Brandi and Stephanie ask for each other’s managers louder and louder until the wailing of the damned is all that’s left and I realize that I’ve been judged and this entrance is my eternity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

I have a feeling Brandi was going to stay, until what happened in her last appearance. Either that, or that’s as good as she’ll give to getting written out. If that’s the case, she should’ve had more class, and jobbed in a match on her way out, instead of getting shot on in a live promo.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I think if Hunter can’t work then it’s just a cinematic Into the Codyverse match that’s just entrances. Thrones, hammers, Terminators, bikers, Cody’s neck tattoo anthropomorphizes and jumps off his neck and interacts with us like Clippy from Microsoft, Brandi and Stephanie ask for each other’s managers louder and louder until the wailing of the damned is all that’s left and I realize that I’ve been judged and this entrance is my eternity. 

Not gonna lie, sounds better than another round of Roman vs Brock.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If this all comes together as the most exhausting worked-shoot-whatever in wrestling history and we get some weird megaheel Cody in AEW thing, great.

If Cody's really that much on the outs w/ the core creative + locker room of AEW, is really that upset that the crowd desperately wants to boo him and Brandi, and wants to free up hours and hours of monthly AEW TV, great.

Either you've got a tremendously well-executed main event heel turn to last the rest of the year OR there was never a "slow burn" and this shit has been going nowhere since The Day the Tattoo Happened, in a company that has more talent than TV time. Leaning towards the former.

I would prefer the second option.

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I would prefer the second option.

I think I would too at this point. I just don't see who his "guy" would be in WWE backstage and the Huber/outreach interview comes off as cruel if he knew he was jumping. And this will make him the enemy of Warner Media for *life*.

But his short TNT reign was weird, dropping it back to Sammy didn't make sense, and I can totally see Brandi getting torched by the Chicago crowd actually affecting the two of them... I don't watch wrestling to ponder this shit.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Sad 1

On the one hand, it appears Cody has used AEW to boost his profile and wrangle a bigger money, presumably main event gig from WWE. On the other hand, 'use' in this case covers helping create a viable, billionaire funded, wrestling fan friendly dream promotion that has saved the wrestling industry, brought back CM Punk, given Eddie Kingston a shot at stardom and gifted us hour long Bryan Danielson TV matches. I'm even a bit excited to see what he'll do in WWE, although his promos will miss a lot of the morbid curiosity factor once he's back on a script.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Imagine the overdone entrances. Sweaty, sweaty stuff.

Well, that would make up for the sweat we were about to go without, when Shane got fired. I'd say they'd cover 100% of it. Yup all covered in sweat.