DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

I have no delusions of Shane wrestling anywhere else but if he did I don’t think the money is him showing up in AEW I think if he showed up in like GCW that’d be insane and could possibly crash Wrestling Twitter. 

• Like 3

Shane McMahon vs Nick Gage would be fun. For me, I mean. Shane probably wouldn't love it. He'd spend the whole afternoon before the show wondering where they were hiding the crash pads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wait, didn't @RIPPA post something a day or two ago listing like 6 or 7 different producers from the Men's Rumble, without Shane being one of them?

Now, all of a sudden, he's the lead producer and the finger-pointee? I'm confused.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Log said:

Dammit.  Why can't we have nice things!??!?

(To be clear, I'm not talking about people exposing shitty behavior/ideas.  I'm talking about the people who actually do/say the shitty things.)

Because there's none left? We can't have any, because there isn't any!

• Like 2

Here is a tangentially related anecdote for relief from thee speculation, disappointment and nonsense of the topics of the last few pages. This was related to me, in a Maggianno's chain restaurant in Wisconsin in the early 2Ks from the man himself, the Fount of Misinformation and the Maker of Champeens, Capt. Louis Albano. I will convey this story in the first person as I heard it & as I remember it. This was in response to my query about the difference of working for VJM and VKM, but bear in mind that his gimmick had so ingrained itself into his soul that any answers to direct questions were elliptical at best, like a promo, which is perfect and beautiful:

Yes, I worked with Vince, and with Junior- I always call him Junior. They both respected and loved the Captain. I respected the McMahon family, especially Vince Sr. Vince was great and always took care of me, but I was a wild one and could get him angry, you know I would get a little crazy back then. Junior, too - he would always fire me, but he would ask for me to come back or I would have to apologize or I would just show up again, you know? He was loyal, and his dad asked him to take care of me, keep me around. Let me tell you one time, oh that kid of his, that little monello, what's his name -- SHANE! He used to hang out in the locker room, like he was one of the boys, and some he liked and would get them coffee but he always bothered me. He would call me "Fat Man" - "Hey, how's it going, Fat Man?" and smack my belly and laugh -- and I would yell "DON'T CALL ME FAT MAN!!!". One day, I was a little brillo, the Captain back then liked to have a few beers while working and I usually had a bottle of vodka in my bag, and I come back and find out that that little ballbuster Shane had taken my beers. Sure enough he walks by me, and I am fuming, and I said "Did you take my beers, where are my beers?". He says "How's it going, Fat Man?" AND SMACKS MY STOMACH!! IN FRONT OF THE BOYS!!! Well, I was mad - I slapped him across the face and yelled "Don't Call me Fat Man and don't take my beers!". Well, of course he starts crying and runs off to tell his dad, but I was still hot AND I WARNED HIM, The Captain warned him, it was a working slap anyway, well sort of a working slap. I got fired again, and boy it took a couple weeks for Junior to calm down and let me back but he did, oh he's loyal.

If you lived inside my head, every time Shane McMahon showed up on the TV screen you would see Thee Specter Of Capt. Lou floating around him, yelling in a quavering spirit voice "DON"T CALL ME FAT MAN" and swatting at him with an intangible "working" slap. That's being me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Will the apology be enough for would be employers and the fans? I'd get rid. Disgusting comments by Brian Kendrick.

Clearly the apology is not enough, and saying 'these were never beliefs of mine'....well that's going to require some elaboration to put it mildly. Probably nothing is going to be enough to a lot of people, not least of all those with Jewish heritage or who are otherwise connected to the Shoah (My brother's partner works for a holocaust-related charity fwiw)..

I think he was into the Kundalini Yoga thing around that time. The Yoga scene has long been riddled with dangerous nonsense; this is a bit more known today - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/yoga-disinformation-qanon-conspiracy-wellness. That's in no way to excuse his words or his behaviour, but just to say there' a lot of this about. Has he got a real, genuine story to tell about how he got sucked into this rabbithole of bullshit that might be valuable? Maybe. That's all I'd say before permanently tossing him in the eternal pit.

Let's just say there have been recent guests on Joe Rogan who definitely flirt with anti-semitic tropes - this is not a fringe thing at all.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
typo
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Putting it here for posterity: Kendrick just set the speedrun for being released by two companies in the span of 24 hours. He pulled a reverse-Rick Rude. Let's see if that record is ever beaten!

Meltzer and SRS both now say that Kendrick was actually granted his release from WWE back in December.

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I think he was into the Kundalini Yoga thing around that time. The Yoga scene has long been riddled with dangerous nonsense; this is a bit more known today - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/yoga-disinformation-qanon-conspiracy-wellness.

The cross-fitters I know tend to be really into anti-vax too. A lot of these alternate fitness groups get into the whole "back to nature" thing, which leads to embracing "traditional" medicine over modern medicine. You know, walk barefoot and the earth heals you through your feet and all that weird shit. There's a hatred of Big Pharma. I mean, we all know Big Pharma has done bad things, just watch Dopesick, but I've never been fond of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" philosophies. Like, "some drug companies overpush their pain medications, so of course the polio or measles vaccines must secretly be making us addicted to McDonalds Big Macs!" Come on dude.

• Like 4

Meltzer explains the Shane situtation (Copypasta from r/sc)

• Shane leaving the company all stems from the Royal Rumble. There were a lot of people who said he was unprofessional backstage during the show on Saturday. Apparently the day of the Royal Rumble, the Rumble kept changing because Shane would want something, Vince would veto it, Brock would push for something different - apparently it was a mess. Brock got a lot of what he wanted and Shane didn't get a lot of what he wanted, which led to Shane complaining and talking down to people.
  • He is off Wrestlemania.
  • Austin Theory took Shane McMahon's spot in the Elimination Chamber and, according to Dave Meltzer, there was never a plan for Shane to face Theory at Wrestlemania. Until Monday, Theory wasn't slated to be in the Chamber.
  • Dave is still adamant the match was Shane McMahon vs Seth Rollins at Wrestlemania and the program was supposed to begin at the Elimination Chamber - though Shane wanted Rollins in the Rumble to start the program there instead (which Vince nixed so that Rollins could sell the chair beatdown from Reigns).
  • Shane has no official title in the company despite being one of the leader producers of the Royal Rumble match. He only has a talent contract. He has never been under consideration for Vince's heir apparant (at least not since 2009).
  • Dave notes that Shane will most likely be back one day, but he is gone for now and won't be a part of the "Road to Wrestlemania" at all.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Meltzer explains the Shane situtation (Copypasta from r/sc)

The other big thing, maybe bigger than all of that, is that Dave noted on WOR that Shane doesn't have any holdings in the company any more and likely sold them off to pursue his other business ventures.

• Sad 1

I had always heard Shane was happy working in his other ventures and spending time with his family instead of being in the WWE before he was brought back? While I don't wish him any ill will, Shane being gone and not in the EC or in a match at WM is definitely addition by subtraction.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think most likely Shane’s going full psycho from Low T therapy. And one way to look at it is that he was pissed at Vince and Brock and blew off steam by taking liberties against wrestlers that he knew couldn’t give him a receipt. Which sucks. 

• Sad 1

Shane vs. Austin Theory sounds dull, but might have been the way to go for a Shane WM match.  There's a natural angle there and Theory's not so high up the card that Shane going over would be a big deal.  And, honestly, the Theory push seems like another one of Vince's failed experiments, so it might have been a good way to shuffle Shane to the side.  Bryan Alvarez said he's been told Shane-Seth and Shane/Lashley were also in the plans at some point.  Those matches sound... bad.

I'm sort of curious what Shane's standing with the company really is and why he keeps coming back.  He apparently no longer has a stake in the company, but I doubt he needs the paycheck?  He and his wife both come from wealthy families.  Maybe just likes performing?  It feels odd to see him come back strictly as a performer when Steph is a company executive but I don't know how much should be read into that.

Honestly, I'm hoping this was his last run as a wrestler.  He seemingly blew up and was drenched in sweat from coming to the ring.  He generally looks alarmingly red-faced during matches and he's in his 50's.  Considering his matches are usually built around dangerous spots, it's probably time he stops doing those before he injures himself or someone else. 

• Like 2

A little more details regarding Shane and Vince hating each other via Wade Keller (spoilers due to size). You have to ignore all the back patting Wade does

Spoiler

Wade Keller posted an audio update on Shane McMahon on PWTorch.com. Keller noted that things got really bad between Shane and his father Vince McMahon at the Royal Rumble but there were issues before the pay-per-view.

“Things really unraveled with him and his dad on Saturday,” Keller said. “Things were not good, according to what I heard.”

Keller continued, “If you’ve been listening carefully to me in the last month or two, you would have gotten the impression there was little chance Shane would have been at the Royal Rumble this weekend, or in WWE’s plans. I was pretty surprised when he showed up and then there were reports that he was going to be in a storyline that would weave itself all the way to Wrestlemania because of what I’ve been hearing about Shane’s status in the company, and his relationship with his dad in particular.”

Keller said, “This was almost a last straw for a lot of people in WWE when it comes to Shane [and] his dad, of course, being the final decision maker on that front. So the story is for the third year in a row he was brought in to help produce the Royal Rumble. It’s sort of a dad doing a favor to his son…Shane’s creative ideas over the decades have been laughed at behind his back. I’ve reported that for decades. He was never seen as having a good creative wrestling mind. That has carried over even into his 50s when trying to help produce the Royal Rumble.”

“This was an … unexpected, sharp increase in disruptiveness in bad ideas on Saturday,” Keller said. “From what I’m told directly from people there, he was really self-centered. It was all about him [and] his ideas, and he didn’t get caught up on what the plans were for the match. He didn’t know was going on TV that was building to certain moments. And he just pulled the McMahon card with the match producers wanting things to be done his way because why else would Shane-O-Mac be brought in, if not to basically dictate something, a major chapter involving him in the match. And so he did. And it got to the point where there were heated arguments with people who felt that they could push back and a lot of stress and strife and distractions with everybody else because it was just chaos. There was a plan for the match. Shane was pushing back against producers who were simply trying to follow through on what Vince McMahon told them should be done in the match. And Shane just went way overboard. If you look at the people that Shane was fighting in the ring during the Rumble, that was his doing. That’s who he wanted to be in the ring with looking good against. I mean two of the legit kind of badass guys in WWE — Otis with his background and Riddle with his background, and Shane punched away at them. Then Kevin Owens super kicked him twice and tried to toss him out but Shane reversed him and tossed him out over the top row to eliminate him.”

Keller added, “While all this is going on, Shane is sweating, profusely [and] this has been a thing for him recently, more than recently where there’s a concerning level of perspiration. It’s almost like just droplets are shooting out of his head and face.”

Keller added that Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar but things between Shane and Vince got really bad backstage.

“So when it came time to put someone over, Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar,” Keller said. “But the issue with Shane really got to the next level with Vince when it came to what was planned for Raw and that Shane had real problems with how he was going to be framed as he was going to be in the Elimination Chamber. And so, Shane disagreed with what Vince wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. It was laid out to Shane what the plans were and he did like it, and he pushed back and that led to Vince just finally having enough and canceling all plans with Shane, everything that they have planned with him.”

At this point, it’s not clear if he was released from his talent contract or if he was simply sent home. Keller said, “I haven’t been able to confirm that it’s an actual firing because I’m not quite sure what Shane’s status is with the company in the sense that if there’s an employee or relationship that could be canceled in a traditional way firing happens. But the idea now is from what I’m hearing is he is not going to be part of WWE in any way on or off camera for the foreseeable future, which could span a long, long time. Like years. It’s father, son, it’s a family situation, who knows, right? But…because this has been festering for a while and it’s been an issue for a while, this isn’t something that just surprised everybody and it came out of nowhere on Saturday. The feeling is that this really could be the last straw. And there could be a level of professional estrangement between Vince and Shane…I haven’t found anybody who will defend Shane, in terms of how he acted on Saturday.”