DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, droneking said:

The eventual WWE Network series on the NXT Purge is going to be wild.

Why would such a series ever exist? There's no benefit to focusing on it, and no way their in-house mythmaking could sustain a full program on the subject. If anything, there might eventually be a footnote about how it was time to "freshen up" the brands or whatever when they eventually make focus pieces on some of the eventual success stories of the current wave of projects. 

30 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Why would such a series ever exist? There's no benefit to focusing on it, and no way their in-house mythmaking could sustain a full program on the subject. If anything, there might eventually be a footnote about how it was time to "freshen up" the brands or whatever when they eventually make focus pieces on some of the eventual success stories of the current wave of projects. 

It was a joke, but I think the bigger story of the NXT Purge is the fall from grace of Triple H and that would make an interesting documentary down the road. 

46 minutes ago, droneking said:

It was a joke, but I think the bigger story of the NXT Purge is the fall from grace of Triple H and that would make an interesting documentary down the road. 

Figured I was missing some humour there.

That Triple H thing is the same: It would be interesting, but unless there's a way to make it more narratively satisfying or there's a positive turn in the future, it's not something that they should bother with in-house.

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Figured I was missing some humour there.

That Triple H thing is the same: It would be interesting, but unless there's a way to make it more narratively satisfying or there's a positive turn in the future, it's not something that they should bother with in-house.

You gotta believe there are probably alot of people from the Mid to late 90s  in shock at how Hunter has lost favor in the company.

• Like 4

Dateline NBC guy could VO the HHH documentary and it would be amazing:

Clip of HHH cutting smug promo about smart fans in ring

close-up on his "I am the cleverest MFer in the game" grin

Image turns to black and white and shatters like a mirror

"But was he really? Or was this case about to take an unexpected and horrific turn..."

Cut to Stacker 2 Energy drink commercial

• Haha 9

The best part is, with three quarters of the UE there, and probably more people coming, they could actually get insight from both sides. Or have the ex-NXT workers completely bury their former employers for a laugh, either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, droneking said:

Who wouldn't be surprised if a "Rise and Fall of Paul Levesque" doc is produced if he and Steph break up, given how petty Vince & Co are?

• Like 3

This corporate purge of Triple H sure has been interesting. I understand not wanting to load up on indy guys, but it makes you wonder who they will be building the company around.

10 minutes ago, Gorman said:

If you could combine Ring of Honor and the NWA and all these released people and put on a PPV every two months, you could ... maybe make money?

Billy Corgan could probably buy ROH. I would imagine Sinclair would off load it for pennies on the dollar like AOL did with WCW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, droneking said:

The eventual WWE Network series on the NXT Purge is going to be wild.

"Old NXT rasslin was in smoke filled little buildings until creative genius and all around greatest person ever Vince 'did we mentioned he's a creative genius' McMahon took it mainstream"

Edited by bazzil
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Billy Corgan could probably buy ROH. I would imagine Sinclair would off load it for pennies on the dollar like AOL did with WCW.

If that were true, TK would have bought it already.

Wrestlenomics says Sinclair paid something like $6 million for ROH. Being the penny-pinchers they are, no way they sell for less than that.

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

If that were true, TK would have bought it already.

Wrestlenomics says Sinclair paid something like $6 million for ROH. Being the penny-pinchers they are, no way they sell for less than that.

Yeah man. The only way I see it being worth it for AEW to buy is if they can recoup whatever they spent by monetizing the tape library, and until they have their own dedicated streaming service it's a moot point - unless there's a possibility that adding the ROH library gives AEW leverage if they decide to try streaming through an HBO Max or something, I know that was the speculation when they were running those extra long Dark tapings, was because it was adding value to the company in terms of the number of hours of back catalog. 

I had a dream not too long ago that Samoa Joe and Eddie Kingston had a promo battle, and im excited to know this may actually happen soon. 

Biff Busick and Martin Stone unhinged anywhere is going to be exciting. 

There is such an opening for a new promotion, im sure Jeff Jarrett is salivating right now.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, EVA said:

I’ll reiterate what i said last time: I just want Joe to walk the Earth and have great matches everywhere. Don’t get tied down to one place.

Once I learned of the territory system I wished Vince would've reinstated it on an autonomous-as-possible franchise basis in most places with their own self-contained TV and house show loops while running the WWF/AWA/Canada combined area as the nationwide/international product. 

Of course Vince would never have reliquished that much control. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 hours ago, AxB said:

I like AEW and can guess that Vince despised losing to TK after running against him, but The Monday Night Wars made the Wednesday Night Wars look like two squirrels fighting over an acorn. WWE isn't going to crash and burn like WCW, it'll just get sold to Disney for a huge pile of wonga. 

From Vince / Nick Khans point of view, looking at it from purely business view, they will think “did old NXT uncover a Rock, Cena, Lesnar level talent? No. Was it costing a lot to run? Yes.” So the recent decisions do make sense.

FCW produced more “Vince friendly” talent than NXT ever did, OVW before that was probably the best developmental system they had in terms of producing main roster guys and was also a great TV show under Cornette.  They were getting far better  suited talent for far less money under the old developmental system.

Now there’s an argument that certain talents were prohibited from becoming megastars once they hit the main roster, while strictly not NXT’s fault, they still lost sight that main roster WWE serves one master (and whoever has his ear on that particular day) and he likes what he likes.

As someone mentioned before, once Nick Khan finds the NXT UK spreadsheet I’d expect the whole lot to be purged.  Always felt it was a Regal pet project in a way.