DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow. I don't even have the words anymore. 

"Hooray! They can go to a better company and I can actually see them wrestle!"

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I wonder how long NXT UK lasts?

You know Nick is trying everything in his power to move everything to NXT Japan or NXT Mexico or some country with shitty work labor laws.  Then fire everyone about 2 months later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Goodbye Cathy Corino, also known as Allison Danger.

Typical classy WWE.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Sad 4

41 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Wonder if they released Albert?

In all his years as trainer I've never heard anything bad about him. That's not good. You want trainees to be treated like shit, otherwise how will they know their role?

Surely they've already called Hugh Morrus to give him his old job back.

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

So if there's no William Regal, are they retiring the Wargames match? Because it won't be the same without Regal there to shout "WARGAMES!", will it?

Well they avoided it this time, with Breakker doing the shout.

But actually the thing that is more likely to be retired is the twice-only Thatcher speciality Fight Pit match. That was actually an interesting gimmick match - more interesting than most of the Wargames have been for me personally.

Really hard to see Thatcher in AEW. I've said before that if there's room for anything else right now it's a more shoot-style promotion, and Regal and Thatcher would be two guys you could build around (I don't mean Regal as a worker....though fuckit ONE MORE MATCH WILLIAM! (STEVEN?))

• Like 1

I forget, but wasn't Thatcher in MLW before he got into the WWE? I'm not entirely sure how much MLW really exists at this moment but that could be a landing spot for him.

Kinda remarkable that the Tony Khan/Swole thing managed to happen during the one brief period of time where the WWE wasn't releasing employees

From Fightful Select:

"A ton of shocking NXT personnel cuts came on Wednesday, with WWE telling Fightful "With the continued evolution of NXT 2.0, we've decided to part ways with some of the staff based in our Performance Center. We thank them for their many contributions throughout the years and wish them the best." Unanimously, the talent and staff familiar with the PC, NXT, and NXT 2.0 have said this is directly to remove numerous Triple H hires, with the exception being Allison Danger. WWE officials we spoke with didn't deny this, and even said as much in their statement, in kinder terms.

This resulted in a huge overhaul, and much of the Triple H-era NXT names being let go of the company. Fightful will work to find out more, but WWE had indicated to Fightful that talent would not be included in the cuts, which gives a pretty strong indication that they'd viewed Danny Burch and Timothy Thatcher in a different light since both had been off of television, and helping coach at the WWE PC. "Hachiman" Hideki Suzuki was an on-screen performer in Diamond Mine, which has seen four of their original or originally planned members released. We're told there were no creative plans moving forward for Thatcher or Burch on screen.

There was no internal message that went out as usual highlighting the names and reasoning for the departures.

Scott Armstrong had been working in timing out the shows, and was a referee for years for WWE. He oversaw a lot of the NXT refereeing staff, and shouldered the blame for the direction that led to awkward refree spots during the Becky Lynch vs. Liv Morgan Day 1 match. We're told this wasn't why he was let go, however. At least one promotion has already expressed interest in booking Scott Armstrong as a wrestler, as he's known to stay in shape and was a good worker in his day. His father wrestled until he was almost 80. Armstrong was let go in 2020 and brought back at the urging of his brother, Road Dogg.

As for Road Dogg, he was seen as a key "Triple H guy," and along will Regal, was one of the most evident firings that pointed everyone to the notion that this was specifically moving people out to change directions from what NXT "was." Dogg suffered a heart attack earlier this year, but had been back with the company for several months working.

One of the names that surprised people the most within the company was Dave Kapoor, also known as Rainjin Singh. Kapoor had been with WWE for 15 years, managing Great Khali, but had previously served as Senior VP of Creative. He'd been spending time in NXT, and was said to have been unanimously liked and easy to work with, with people who worked in the company heavily praising him to Fightful when the news dropped.

Fightful had asked about William Regal being off TV last week, and were told there were no plans for him or an immediate authority figure on NXT television. He'd been scouting talent at the recent WWE tryouts, but we're told that when he was off television with no direction, it was one of the surest signs that NXT was no longer what it'd been for the decade prior. He was another Triple H favorite who helped shape the brand. Everyone that Fightful spoke to thought that Regal would be exempt from cuts regardless, but that wasn't the case.

Several people that we spoke to within NXT felt that Bron Breakker being scripted to kick the gold "X" in half was symbolic, and many didn't like it.

Another shocking name was Ryan Katz, who had been a driving force being creative aspects in NXT during a lot of their prosperous periods. People we spoke to have said that his was surprising considering his heavy involvement in production and creative.

Scotty 2 Hotty briefly spoke to Fightful after hearing the news and said that he wasn't surprised and saw the writing on the wall, which is why he got out of the company last month. Fightful has confirmed that Steve Corino and Jeremy Borash are still with the company, which we got numerous inquiries about."

• Thanks 1

Unless he wants to retire to spend more time with his lizards Regal seems like a lock to end up in at least an office job with AEW. Pretty sure he already lives in Florida, too.