DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL Draft (April 28-30)

RIPPA

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

So is Brock Purdy out of Iowa State the best Mr Irelevant ever?   He wasn't a top or high tier QB out of  but waa pretty good

You missed the obvious “purdy good” pun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

No Longhorns drafted, hopefully the last time that happens.

Only the 2nd time ever that happened (2014 was the other year)

At least they weren't alone in the Big 12 - West Virginia and TCU didn't have anyone selected either

• Like 1

I know its been said but I feel like it should be emphasized how insane it is that only ONE QB was drafted in the first two rounds. In a QB-focused league where teams have been known to reach if they think a QB has any potential at all, no one could have seen that coming. Teams will make any excuse to draft a QB because getting a good cheap QB for four years is such a key to success in the NFL.

I'm not sure if that is a sign that teams are smartening up or these QBs graded so poorly they still couldn't justify it, but I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again.

Bucky Brooks mentioned that the recent CBA changed the 5 year option that now it's all fully guaranteed instead of only with an injury. No team wants to be in the Situation the Browns are with Baker Mayfield. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hail Sabin said:

Bucky Brooks mentioned that the recent CBA changed the 5 year option that now it's all fully guaranteed instead of only with an injury. No team wants to be in the Situation the Browns are with Baker Mayfield. 

I can buy that as a reason to slow down on the Round 1 rush but that's the reason I saw some mocks with 3 or 4 QBs drafted in Round 2. The teams that wanted to reach but didn't want the financial commitment.

I would say it was a referendum on how poor this class of QBs was and how strong next year’s is looking. Stroud and Young are first round talents. If Rattler bounces back at South Carolina, he’s going to be viewed as a #1 again, too.

It made sense for Pittsburgh to gamble on somebody early because there is some sense that they’re just a QB away from being a really good team. But if you’re not in that position, it probably makes more sense to keep building the foundation and wait to roll the dice next year.

• Like 2

Some of the notable undrafted FA signings so far

Colts signed Jack Coan

Pats signed D'Eriq King

Eagles signed TWO QBs - Carson Strong and EJ Perry

Falcons signed Tyler Vrabel (who is Mike Vrabel's kid)

I would say that it's a combination of the weak QB class mixed with the suddenly en vogue new team building strategy of trying to get at strong a roster as possible and then plug in a veteran QB, as opposed to drafting a QB and trying to build a contender around him before he gets expensive.

• Like 2

Really sucks for Justyn Ross.  To show out like he did in the championship game against Alabama (and I saw a lot of his games prior to that, he was just getting better as the season progressed) and then have what seems like everything literally break against him for 2 years and end up undrafted is pretty awful.  There's a part of me that hopes he gets to play so he can get some money out of his time, but most of the things I've seen about it suggest it's the doctors who oversaw him dropping straight out of the draft entirely.  Really shitty situation.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Really sucks for Justyn Ross.  To show out like he did in the championship game against Alabama (and I saw a lot of his games prior to that, he was just getting better as the season progressed) and then have what seems like everything literally break against him for 2 years and end up undrafted is pretty awful.  There's a part of me that hopes he gets to play so he can get some money out of his time, but most of the things I've seen about it suggest it's the doctors who oversaw him dropping straight out of the draft entirely.  Really shitty situation.

Looks like KC is giving him a shot.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Bills drafted Elam. It will be interesting to see how much (if anything) they show of players they didn't draft

I don't know Elam but I sure came away impressed from that 25 seconds.

The NFL was apparently annoyed with the Lions for announcing their 1st round pick so fast.  Should be interesting to see if that shows up on Hard Knocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I mean, they've kinda sucked for a while.  Keontay Ingram counts, though?  He should.

He needed the change of scenery, and he wouldn't have started ahead of Bijan Robinson this year so I would say no because he wouldn't have been drafted if he stayed at UT.

And yes, we've had more bad/not-so-good years than bad since 2010.

22 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Bills just picked up this guy ?  Maybe you should just skip the combine if this is your athletic ability. At least he's hefty?

VrqJok9.jpg

There were preseason projections that had him going in the first round.  Then the season happened and it was more middle rounds.  Then he tested about as well as your average wrestling message board member.  So he gets a trip to Buffalo as a free agent.  

Don’t expect him to do much blocking either.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, RIPPA said:

Eagles signed TWO QBs - Carson Strong and EJ Perry

EJ Perry changed his mind and signed with the Jags. It appears the Strong signing made him decide to seek a chance elsewhere

• 1 month later...