DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL Draft (April 28-30)

RIPPA

On 3/9/2022 at 2:41 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I find it hilarious that there are three teams with an incredible amount of draft capital who would be perfectly positioned to trade up for a quarterback, in a year where the team with the first pick has no interest in a QB... And everyone agrees there's not a QB that is worth a top ten pick.

And now it's 4 teams.

Also, if Aidan Hutchinson goes 1 with that absolutely godawful Bench Press showing at Michigan's pro day, then Jacksonville deserves to get relegated to, I don't know, a flag football league. 

While the bench press was embarrassing, even a complete non-lifter such as myself could see it was problematic and poorly done, I would hope most teams wouldn't pass on someone just due to how many bench reps they did at one filmed session. The season doesn't start for six months, even if they wanted him stronger he has time to lift weights. Easier to fix that than tiny hands.

I still think if I was a projected top ten pick I wouldn't do any of that silly shit. They have my game tape, go watch that. Now if I was a mid-rounder trying to boost my stock, I'd do it if I thought I could do something impressive enough to get more eyeballs on me but the top guys are only going to hurt themselves (mostly figuratively but possibly literally) doing cone drills and bench presses. Chase Young basically told everyone to fuck off in 2020 with the "skills" nonsense and skipped almost everything, still was picked #2 and has been just fine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While the bench press was embarrassing, even a complete non-lifter such as myself could see it was problematic and poorly done, I would hope most teams wouldn't pass on someone just due to how many bench reps they did at one filmed session. The season doesn't start for six months, even if they wanted him stronger he has time to lift weights. Easier to fix that than tiny hands.

I still think if I was a projected top ten pick I wouldn't do any of that silly shit. They have my game tape, go watch that. Now if I was a mid-rounder trying to boost my stock, I'd do it if I thought I could do something impressive enough to get more eyeballs on me but the top guys are only going to hurt themselves (mostly figuratively but possibly literally) doing cone drills and bench presses. Chase Young basically told everyone to fuck off in 2020 with the "skills" nonsense and skipped almost everything, still was picked #2 and has been just fine.

Yeah, that bench press won't hurt him a bit.  

On 3/21/2022 at 3:16 PM, Tabe said:

Yeah, that bench press won't hurt him a bit.  

I don't think it will hurt him either,  but it is a red flag. I don't know anyone with any real weight lifting experience who would spot someone like that. I've seen some pretty heated arguments when a super just touched a bar before it was on its way  down on a failed rep. I don't know how many reps he can do at 225, but based on that video it's a whole hell of a lot fewer than 28.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Saints and Eagles apparently just don't like @Gonzo 

They traded a bunch of picks, including two Philly first rounders for one New Orleans first round this year.

They're two jerk-ass teams in Vikings history, so this isn't surprising.

Anyway, the draft order post has been edited to reflect this trade. There are now eight teams with multiple first-round picks.

Not only are there eight teams that have multiple first-round picks in this year's draft, but there are already five teams with multiple first-round picks in the 2023 Draft.

• Detroit (theirs, Los Angeles Rams')
  • Houston (theirs, Cleveland's)
  • Miami (theirs, San Francisco's)
  • Philadelphia (theirs, New Orleans')
  • Seattle (theirs, Denver's)

It's weird that NO and Philly are where they are and made this trade; I get wanting the extra 1st-rounder sooner rather than later, but it's odd that NO is in a position where Philly could screw them over TWICE in the same draft by picking 1 spot ahead of them both times.  And you just traded with that team to give them the privilege of doing that. 

It'd be hilarious if that's exactly what Philly does and then tries to hold their picks up for ransom.

• 2 weeks later...

And related to that - Mel Kiper announced he will be broadcasting the draft from his home studio as he announced he is unvaccinated. (He said it was due to his own personal medical history)

With less than a week away a reminder we are in peak lying season.

With that said - to fit the narrative that this is like the worst draft class ever* - KC GM Brett Veach says the team has a first round grade on 16-18 guys - which is dicey since the team picks 29th and 30th

(* - I am being facetious here but over the weekend the talking point became "the value of the draft is the middle rounds!" and every wants to trade down)

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For Example

Schefter's credibility is so shot with me that, when I read a tweet or article from him, I try to imagine exactly which player/agent/GM is acting as his puppeteer for that tweet.  I don't believe for a second he does any legit reporting or investigating, he's just a useful mouthpiece for people.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

With that said - to fit the narrative that this is like the worst draft class ever* - KC GM Brett Veach says the team has a first round grade on 16-18 guys - which is dicey since the team picks 29th and 30th

There are 16-18 WRs and Defensive Linemen that should be graded as first round picks.  I'm no draft expert, but it really seems like the lack of quarterback talent is the only actual hole in this draft, pretty much every other position has a good bit of depth.

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There are 16-18 WRs and Defensive Linemen that should be graded as first round picks.  I'm no draft expert, but it really seems like the lack of quarterback talent is the only actual hole in this draft, pretty much every other position has a good bit of depth.

That none of the top QB's played for big name schools like Alabama or Ohio State is the main reason the QB class is perceived as low. Had Pickett transferred to Notre Dame and put up the same numbers he'd would have been the consensus #1 pick and would have won the Heisman, pretty much the same if Ridder had done what he had done at Ohio State instead of Cincy.