DVDVR Message Board

2022 General RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/6/2022 at 2:49 PM, JLSigman said:

I probably first saw his name when I was in my Stephen King phase in early high school, and The Talisman is one of the few books of King's I own. RIP

Ah shit, this is the first I’ve heard of it.  I’ve only read one book of his solo work (Mr. X) but I did read Talisman and Black House.  Need to check out more of his stuff.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, Kuetsar said:

EDIT: so much for that bullshit. Charles is a jinxed name though, as both the other two were overthrown. . . RIP.

Charles isn't the most jinxed royal name.  There's always Richard.

• Like 2

It's somewhat weird that Elizabeth II and Gorbachev passed on within less then two weeks. As someone in his early forties, I think those were the last two political figures that I knew since I can remember. Obviously, one of two (no matter if intentional or not) changed the world and won the Noble Peace Prize while the other was just a symbol, but still, this is like another piece of childhood is finally gone. I guess Americans still have Jimmy Carter in that regard.

• Like 1

Interesting seeing the coverage here in the UK of Queen Elizabeth II passing. Thought my friends overseas might want to know. The terrestrial channels, particularly BBC One and ITV three days running wiped the schedules for wall to wall continuous coverage like you'd see on the 24 hour news channels. The day of and day after was the only thing on BBC One, Two, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Most historic passing of a historic person in my lifetime. I was 12 when Princess Diana passed and I remember telling my parents having seen/heard on the TV/radio.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, Craig H said:

I'm sad that one of her final moments was meeting that fucking idiot Liz Truss. Jokingly, I'd like to imagine after that she said, fuck it, I'm out.

RIP

This. Also think it must eat at Boris Johnson that he isn't front and centre as Prime Minister now when it's Liz Truss. Like to think the Queen did an FU for how he and his Government has fucking behaved, particularly partying on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral. A defining image of the Queen sitting in the pews alone observing the rules his lot didn't. Fuck Boris Johnson and his Government.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Ken Starr, the man who's investigation led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton, has died.  He was 76.

My favorite story about him will always be when he had to have explained to him why a guy would want to smoke a cigar that's been... held... by a lady.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FkmRPXCXgAEj0TX?format=jpg&name=small

No, that's not Mel Brooks dancing in front on an Indian restaurant.  

This king is Ali Ahmed Aslam.  You know him as the Scottish/Pakistani chef who invented of Chicken Tikka Masala.  

He passed away earlier this week at the age of 77.   Pour out a forty of mango lassi this week in his honor. 

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 8:08 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

FkmRPXCXgAEj0TX?format=jpg&name=small

No, that's not Mel Brooks dancing in front on an Indian restaurant.  

This king is Ali Ahmed Aslam.  You know him as the Scottish/Pakistani chef who invented of Chicken Tikka Masala.  

He passed away earlier this week at the age of 77.   Pour out a forty of mango lassi this week in his honor. 

Man, I love curry. My favourite food by far. I had one with my Dad on that Saturday the 17th of December eating inside Shimla Spice for the first time in over 12 years. Normally we takeaway instead.

• Like 1