DVDVR Message Board

2022 General RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Former Miss USA Cheslie Kryst died this morning after jumping from her midtown Manhattan high rise condo.

She was 30.

--

If you or anyone you love is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please call 800-273-8255 in the US.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Former Miss USA Cheslie Kryst died this morning after jumping from her midtown Manhattan high rise condo.

She was 30.

--

If you or anyone you love is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please call 800-273-8255 in the US.

So sad. R.I.P.

Samaritans UK:

116 123.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RIP to an American hero, Charles Entenmann. He passed away yesterday at age 92. 

41+ZNMVzcbL._AC_.jpg

Have yourself some pound cake tonight to celebrate this Bay Shore legend and creator of god-tier desserts. 

• Like 6

I think the only Entemann's thing I ever ate were the chocolate covered donuts.

I haven't had any of those in at least 20 years. If I could go to the store and just buy a package that only contained 2 or 3 then it would be perfect, but I know if I bought some I'd eat the whole box.

Those damn chocolate donuts and their danish were staples at my family's house when people would come over.  Not sure why I stopped having them when moving out but they were pretty good all things considered.

• Like 1

On top of the product being good, most of the guys who worked for Entenmann's were solid dudes during the years I was a bread vendor, and considering that we were technically competition, it was appreciated any time other vendors were cool. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/23/22992066/stephen-wilhite-gif-creator-dies

Stephen Wilhite, one of the lead inventors of the GIF, died last week from COVID at the age of 74, according to his wife, Kathaleen, who spoke to The Verge. He was surrounded by family when he passed. His obituary page notes that “even with all his accomplishments, he remained a very humble, kind, and good man.”

Stephen Wilhite worked on GIF, or Graphics Interchange Format, which is now used for reactions, messages, and jokes, while employed at CompuServe in the 1980s. He retired around the early 2000s and spent his time traveling, camping, and building model trains in his basement.

(And it's pronounced jif!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Japan's longest serving leader, Shinzo Abe, was assassinated by a gunman this afternoon.  

He was 67.

I had a lesson yesterday in a cafe in Saidaiji. One train stop from where we live. The bus wasn't running. Couldn't understand why. The atmosphere at the station was very strange. Outside the station, police everywhere. News cameras. Helicopters overhead. My student told me what happened. Impossible to process. It's such a peaceful and friendly place. I have been teaching lessons in that neighbourhood, right by where it happened, since we moved here. My first gym in Japan is on that corner. Saidaiji is where I most often go drinking with my friends. People know me there, from the gym, the cafe where I teach, the sake bar...They smile and wave when they see me. Come over for a fist bump or a high five or a handshake. It's the least likely place in the world for something like that to have happened. It goes way beyond shocking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...