DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

On 11/1/2022 at 7:03 PM, tbarrie said:

That's the most interesting spelling of "segue" I've ever encountered.

I posted that shit at one thirty in the morning on the second night of graveyard duty in support of the US / ROK military drills and this won't finish up until next Sunday.  I blame sleep deprivation.  

I am also old.  That may also be a contributing factor.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Last weekend I went to see Blade (1998) at the cinema as I was too young when originally released. I watched it at home before seeing Blade II (2002), my first 18 certificate film and Blade: Trinity (2004) at Cineworld.

I most looked forward to this scene:

Blade in the vampire nightclub on the big screen having watched it countless times and it was great. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Last weekend I went to see Blade (1998) at the cinema as I was too young when originally released. I watched it at home before seeing Blade II (2002), my first 18 certificate film and Blade: Trinity (2004) at Cineworld.

I most looked forward to this scene:

Blade in the vampire nightclub on the big screen having watched it countless times and it was great. 

Said scene has to be one of the best first introductory scenes in films, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I posted that shit at one thirty in the morning on the second night of graveyard duty in support of the US / ROK military drills and this won't finish up until next Sunday.  I blame sleep deprivation.  

I am also old.  That may also be a contributing factor.

if it makes you feel better, i usually notice and get annoyed at spelling/grammatical errors. i breezed right through your post without a second glance. i even scrolled back up to see if it had gotten edited before i read it. nope.

• Like 1

I posted about "Weird" during the period of time where the posts were sent into a black hole.

But yeah, it was a good parody of biopics, always nice to see Jack Black pop up again (it seemed like he went from appearing in a lot of things to not really working much), and Evan Rachel Wood as evil Madonna is a good time

Also a good time for slightly fictional Dr. Demento

• Like 1

I watched Weird and I loved it. If I had one small criticism about it (I know it was a parody of bio pics) it's that they consolidated Al's entire career into like a 5 year span. The Gangsta's Paradise bit with Coolio should have been in the 90's when Al had his great comeback (though he never really ever went away). Basically I wish it was a longer movie. I'm hoping there's an extended version on Blu ray or something.

Also watched Top Gun Maverick and thought it was great. I wish I saw it in the theater because those fighter jet scenes were amazing. Tom Cruise was really good in it. I doubt it would happen because of when it came out, but I'd love to see Tom get an Oscar nom for this.

• Like 2

Has anybody around these parts had a chance to see the 2022 Palm d'or winner 'Triangle of Sadness'. This is the second win for masterful Swedish director Ruben Ostlund. I highly recommend this and everything in his fucking great catalog (other than 2004's Guitar Mongoloid which I haven't seen yet, but I presume it's as great as everything else he's crafted). 

Point Break 2015 - Yknow, if you look at the very first Fast & Furious movie as an homage to the original point break, then this almost makes sense as an homage to the homage

For a good chunk of the first 90 minutes I'm thinking to myself if they hadn't gone for an outright remake and done this on the sly like the first F&F movie as a tribute, then maybe with a different title this could've been something fun

Maybe

Spoiler

Then we get to Utah dropping down onto Bodhis ship in the last few minutes and the good will this movie was building up, for me, totally got flushed sown the toilet 

Utah begging to stay on the case because he HAS to finish this by arresting Bodhi and bringing him in, right? Pappas and the Delroy character find a few spots where they decide to bench Utah but he's just BEGGING to stay in

And fucking Utah let's Bodhi hit up the 100'er because.. because....? What in the fuck!

That's when all the plotholes and plot hammer shit finally stood out 

If Utah was fresh out of the academy, why let him get a case this huge when he's not even formally in yet? Stick him as an advisor maybe and let someone competent go after Bodhi, sure, but Delroys character just giving Utah the case is such plothammer shit

Pappas hands Utah a gun when they head to Venezuela to catch Bodhi, and even though Utah keeps pointing the gun at Bodhi to arrest him, fucker never tries to actually apprehend him

And this comes after a scene where Delroy explains Venezuela isn't am extradition country or something and Utah just begs and begs to chase Bodhi and finish the mission

But he let's him go! Like this fucker has at least 2, 3 shots at flat out arresting Bodhi after identifying himself as undercover 🥸 right, but he gives Bodhi out after out after out

This piece of shit deserves getting razed every time anyone mentions it  😤 

Should've read reviews before trying to watch

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Absolutely losing my fucking mind at this listing from Walmart

8oVkopN.png

MFaVqGx.png

404YRON.png

2022 HORROR THREAD - MOVIES & TV - DVDVR Message Board (deathvalleydriver.com)

Really?

Posting scary movie related stuff in the thread created for discussing scary movie stuff is a bridge too far.

Edited by J.T.

Just finished watching Confess, Fletch on SHO on Demand and it was pretty fucking great.   Jon Hamm did a helluva job and they should consider making movies out of the later books (chronographically starting with Fletch's Fortune) and keeping him around as the lead. 

Roy Woods Jr. also did a great job as Fletch's police foil, Sgt. Inspector Monroe, who replaced the original character from the novel, Inspector Xavier Flynn.  Flynn was popular enough to get his own novel series.  I am not sure if Confess, Fletch did enough bank to warrant Woods getting his own franchise, but maybe he can reappear in another Fletch movie if there is a sequel.

Going back to bed.  I've got to be at work by 2330.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I think my streak of Marvel debuts will be ending with Black Panther, partly because I'm not excited at all to see it, and partly because this stupid fucking country has decided to muster up whatever proprietary blend of selfish, crazy, and stupid to make everyone think they can just skip masks all the time once more (and I live in one of the most highly-vaccinated counties, but...I'm not stupid, bro).  Maybe I'll catch it on an early time on a weekday. 

Until then, it's Day 482 (and counting) of Some Old Junk, Ten Fingers Or Less (or Maybe More?) Edition.

Your Baby's Dirty Diaper

Dracula Untold - As we all well know by now, the greatest sin any horror movie can commit is being boring.  I think that's this film's biggest issue - that, and it's not much of a 'horror' movie aside from tropes and occasional-at-best gore.  In most respects, it's closer to a superhero origin story.  Also, why have a movie about Turks and Eastern Europe that's full of British actors?  Or, if nothing else, try to have the main group work with some believable accents.   And don't fucking cast Dominic Cooper of all people as the lead Turkish guy.  Just...just no.  I like the guy sometimes, but fuck no.  The premise is not entirely terrible and could have made for an interesting franchise if that's the way they wanted to go with it, but this is just too much of a swing-and-miss out of the gate to warrant a sequel.  But hey, Sarah Gadon.

American Woman - Hey, Sarah Gadon!  She keeps appearing in crap, and it keeps making it seem as though Alias Grace was more and more of a fluke (though really, that series is fucking great; check it out).  I don't think this goes far enough in re-immersing the audience in the political issues of the time; perhaps someone who actually lived through the 70s would have a different perspective, but my guess is they would think this was a lame retread at best of how radical groups came off to normies, as well.  A couple of the performances are all right - Hong Chau is one of those weird people who never wows you but is sneakily effective, and John Gallagher plays 'doughy white creepjob' as well as anyone - but this is too short, gives too little sense of the passage of time, and has almost no tension to it that isn't the undercooked sapphic bits with Chau & Gadon or some domestic-abuse garbage going on with Gadon & Gallagher.   Plus, watching this means you'll likely have either the original shitty song in your head or Kravitz's shitty cover in your head when you watch this, and who needs that?  Ugh.

Walk of Shame - Who is this movie for, exactly?  I would say this feels like Dude, Where's My Car? for Millennial Karens, but I haven't actually seen Dude, Where's My Car? so I can't make that comparison.  But why did anyone involved with this think that its rampage of misogyny, racism, and stupidity would somehow be funny to anyone, anywhere?  It's just stereotypes chasing stereotypes and everyone on the screen hoping that none of us will notice.  Well, we did.  Their real walk of shame was everyone arrived at its premiere.  What a waste of time, and I usually like Elizabeth Banks.

AXE Body Spray Instead of Shower

Enola Holmes - Turns out there are two of these now, so I figured it was time to watch the first one.  I now regret that choice.  This is...well, something, but is it Sherlock Holmes-ish enough?  Uh, nah, wouldn't say so; the best character in the whole thing is Helena Bonham Carter's, and, by the nature of the plot, she's the person we see the least.  As preposterous and dumb as the Cumberbatch/Freeman Sherlock became (some might argue always was), it still had enough wit to overcome a great deal of its most ludicrous bullshit.  This is largely lacking that; the writing is bland 'spunky girl against the world' stuff that happens to have a famous last name.  Henry Cavill in no way portrays a Sherlock who's even remotely interesting; all his little introspective 'Hmm' moments where he seems to instantly learn from a situation work as Geralt but do nothing here.  And among the glut of fourth-wall breaking that's been making the rounds, this is one of the less appealing uses of it.  I guess Millie can carry something with more acting than just fierce faces, but not all that far.

That'll Do, Pig

The Dinner (2017) - There probably have been other movies with this title, so let's try to avoid confusion.  The structure of this is kind of lame, with utterly pointless and distracting chyrons to tell you what "section" we've moved to, but you aren't going to give a rat's ass about that.  Most of this is a little slow, but eventually the disturbing reality of the film's central events creeps up on you, and we're eventually left with the four mains going at each other's throats for a good chunk of the film in a relatively believable way.  This is the rare time where Richard Gere doesn't totally fuck something up, but at the same time, there were probably 10 other actors who could have played the same role.  The same could not necessarily be said for Steve Coogan, who leans into and goes against type here by playing someone with some serious mental health issues.  It's easy to not take him seriously and see him as a joke early on, but as it wears on, you start understanding how dangerous he really is and how that has strained his family's life.  The script is pretty biting and dark for a while, but it's really just a 20 or 30 minute stretch that's really strong.  The rest is a little harder to get through, but it will keep your attention just enough to get to the good bits.

Yeah, But...

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022) - I'll just come out and say I don't think nearly as highly of this as some of you.  First, they already did this once!  There was a version with Aaron Paul and Olivia Wilde, so I feel like I have to ding it just a bit for having had two bites at the apple (or is it Appel, since Eric Appel directed both?).  I haven't seen that, but I'm not the least bit surprised this has been well-received, since they obviously took the criticisms from the first film and 'cheated', in a sense, by getting a do-over.  Having said all that, this is still ridiculously funny at times.  That first really great line from Julianne Nicholson early in the movie (you know the one) lets you know what you're really in for, and the whole meta-conceit of the film is so well-executed that it does a great job of keeping your attention.  And Evan Rachel Wood is somehow more "80s Madonna" than Madonna actually was.  It does help, too, that I was far enough removed from having heard his 80s songs that I'd forgotten just how good some of them are.  There are some things I would have shot into space rather than have them in the movie (Salvador and Andy, for example) but most of it works.

One Maple-Frosted Donut

The Banshees of Inisherin - It would be impossible for Martin McDonagh to ever work out of the shadow of In Bruges, especially when re-casting Farrell and Gleeson for a film.  So why try to hide that?  Why not make the anti-In Bruges - decidedly un-modern; bright and natural and externally calming; and surrounded by a tight-knit community where everyone knows everyone - while also making a film that's like In Bruges, but inverted?  Instead of externalities resulting in guilt and grief and heartache and judgment, we see human nature at its most basic: the unbidden, fickle, internal urges, awful thoughts born of time and age and boredom and fear and doubt that sow strife and wreck friendships for no better reason than because they can.  When we have no terrible mistakes to dwell upon and find ourselves unworthy, we invent them for ourselves; we conjure up supernatural excuses for why bad things happen to us and why we insist on inflicting bad things upon those closest to us.  There are no banshees on Inisherin - because it's a fairytale fucking town, don't you know? - except for the ones wailing inside our own heads.

Oh, and this movie will make you piss your pants laughing on several occasions, just so you know.  I don't think this is as strong as Men was (even if I am in the minority there), and it's obviously not in the same breath as Everything Everywhere All at Once, but certainly one of the best movies of the year.

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022) - I'll just come out and say I don't think nearly as highly of this as some of you.  First, they already did this once!  There was a version with Aaron Paul and Olivia Wilde, so I feel like I have to ding it just a bit for having had two bites at the apple (or is it Appel, since Eric Appel directed both?).  I haven't seen that, but I'm not the least bit surprised this has been well-received, since they obviously took the criticisms from the first film and 'cheated', in a sense, by getting a do-over.  

According to IMDB, the "first one" is 3 minutes long. 

Eh, possibly?  There's one longish review by someone on IMDb that describes what they "saw", but I guess it's possible they wrote a spoof of a review (it is the only review they've written, and they even scored it low)?  If so, that's really leaning into the gimmick and I guess I fell for it!

• Like 1