DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I like the movie Die Another Day as it's probably the last gasp of outlandish, fun Bond but yeah, the lyrics to the song are terrible and it's absolutely Madonna at her "let me leech on to this popular thing" worst. 

This. I honestly hate The Writing On The Wall even more than that:

1. Sam Smith's overrated.

2. This piece of fucking shit won an Academy Award for Best Original Song. Paul McCartney and Wings didnt. Chris Cornell was even nominated and he should have won too.

3. I saw Spectre at the cinema so couldn't fast forward the fucking thing. Spectre sucked too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I will die on the Goldfinger, The Spy Who Love Me (Nobody Does It Better), or the Diamonds Are Forever hill.

Maybe even the A View To a Kill hill.

Sheena Easton says hello. 

I think All Time High gets underrated because of how much people disliked Octopussy.

and then there’s this from an alternate world

• Like 1

Yeah, aha's The Living Daylights is a great Bond pop song.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Sheena Easton says hello. 

This is probably blasphemy but I would not put For Your Eyes Only in my Bond Theme Top 5.

1. Goldfinger
  2. Diamonds Are Forever
  3. Live & Let Die
  4. Thunderball
  5. A View To a Kill

Number 6 might even be Skyfall or The Living Daylights and beat out The Man With the Golden Gun.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I seem to have forgotten how sexy Tina Turner's GoldenEye was and that Shirley Manson sang her ass off when she performed The World Is Not Enough with Garbage.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I like the movie Die Another Day as it's probably the last gasp of outlandish, fun Bond 

No Time To Die has a Spectre meeting where a robot eye is being carried on a pillow and attended to by a team of manservants. Outlandish, fun Bond is still in there somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Holy shit, the video for The World Is Not Enough is totally great.  I totally brainfarted that the song is supposed to be a love letter from Elektra King to Renard which makes the track even more awesome.

Did the mediocre Pierce Brosnan run produce back-to-back best Bond themes ever aka GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I believe I am contractually obliged to mention this

Sometimes I think you are secretly employed by the estate of Peter Sellers.

• Like 1

The funny thing is I think Sellers would have been a good Bond playing it serious with the occasional quip. 

I’m still working on it but the new pod is looking at something Bond related but not a movie. 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Said best friend has seen Elvis four or five times and asked yesterday if I'd (Suspicious) mind going with her. It's not something I'd watch at all but couldn't say no. You do what you do for family and friends. It's tonight. Already nervous for when she asks what I think not wanting to lie or wanting to upset her as she's an Elvis devotee. You do what you do for family and friends.

I enjoyed Elvis. Austin Butler did a great job. Kudos to him for that and having the balls to play someone so loved. The last 15 minutes are particularly moving. My friend was choked up by said 15 minutes so I was checking in on her. This was the sixth time seeing the film, first in IMAX. I'd recommend it.

Working for Vivendi Universal games a decade ago, and being a tester of the Eragon game, I state that it is NOT a sword and sorcery Harry Potter rip-off. It's a sword and sorcery Star Wars rip-off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ace said:

Working for Vivendi Universal games a decade ago, and being a tester of the Eragon game, I state that it is NOT a sword and sorcery Harry Potter rip-off. It's a sword and sorcery Star Wars rip-off.

This is the quality that keeps me coming back to DVDVR after 20 years.

This and Power Wash Simulator, apparently.

Yeah.  Movies.  It's here.  Day 379 (and counting) of Whatever This Is: Rewatch, Regurgitate, Review Edition.

Your Baby's Dirty Diaper

Code 46 - This is some real Minority Report/"'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Tick-Tockman"-type crap that just goes nowhere, especially after it manages to basically give away almost everything about the plot of the film in the initial text scroll that massively over-explains stuff.  Tim Robbins & Samantha Morton have about as much chemistry as cans full of argon and xenon, and most of the "flavor" regarding the shape of this future world, such as they are, are relegated to the pidgin language the characters speak, shot through with a little bit of everything you'd hear in the Southern Hemisphere.  But it's got zero interesting shots, no interesting set design, boring dialogue, and boring characters.  This could have been a compelling idea, I suppose, but not in this shape.

Before I Go to Sleep - Hoo boy.  Sticking famous names on a dull thriller that can't follow its own rules is no way to operate, people.  It's weird, though; somehow, Mark Strong and Nicole Kidman (pre-What Nicole Kidman Did to Her Face) have pretty good chemistry together, to the point that you'd almost want to see them in something, anything else.  But that might be the only high point of the whole film.  That, and the first twist in the ending at least gives you enough time to be good and mad at the Big Bad lurking throughout.  Of course, that twist gets completely stepped on by the effects of the second twist, and we're right back in Dullsville, population: everyone who wasted 90 minutes on this.  Pointless, gimmicky bullshit.

Regression - This movie might have been significantly better if only it could decide what it was.  Sometimes it's trying to be Rosemary's Baby, sometimes it's trying to be The Crucible, but it jumps so often from one foot to the other without giving a solid way forward - until one particular moment that makes the rest completely predictable - that neither effect sticks well at all.  This has a pile of familiar faces in it, and they're basically all wasted on this snoozefest that needed to be either significantly creepier or significantly more critical - or maybe even both, if it had been put in the right hands.  But I doubt that would have entirely saved it, since it's not like the writing has anything at all going for it, and good casts and directors can only elevate garbage so much.

Black Rain && - I think I've watched the first half of this probably 5 times in my life, and watched the first two-thirds at least once, but somehow, I'd never seen it all the way through.  Now I wish I'd stayed ignorant.  I would suggest Michael Douglas spent the entire movie gakked out of his mind on coke, but given Japan's drug laws, that seems a little unrealistic.  Andy Garcia brings the only OK moments in the whole movie, and at least Ridley Scott has the good sense to put us all on a bit of an emotionally effective ride with those moments.  But the rest of this...man, it's so fucking bad.  Laughably racist and sexist, boorish, with a resolution that feels entirely unearned and an action-heavy ending that's one of the hokiest piles of crap I've ever seen.  Are we sure Tony didn't direct this?  Because this is probably Ridley's worst movie; yeah, I'd even rewatch Legend first, because at least that's a guy out of his element taking a shot at something different, and it has Tim Curry.  This is just fatalistic copaganda bullshit that makes everyone come out looking worse.

AXE Body Spray Instead of Shower

The Wolf Hour - I'm not sure why Amazon/IMDb has this listed as "Horror", but I'd wager that's why it has such low marks.  This is...decidedly not a horror movie.  It's barely even "Hitchcockian suspense" like it claims.  Instead, it's Naomi Watts doing a deep-dive character study of someone who's pretty deeply screwed-up.  If you watched Eight, which I reviewed months ago, this is a less fully insane version of that, with the Summer of Sam as a backdrop, but realistically, even that isn't much of a relevant plot point.  This drags for the first 20 minutes, but it kind of gets going once the handful of other characters start flitting in and out of the apartment.  Watts is usually pretty good in it, but that's probably the only real saving grace of any kind here.  Your tolerance of this is probably going to be based on your tolerance for movies that never leave their main character out of the shot.

Vita & Virginia - This could have gone lower, too, save for a pretty solid performance from Elizabeth Debicki.  Gemma Arterton can sometimes be really good in things, but, uh, this is not one of those times.  It looks appropriately "nice" for Edwardian Britain, and some of the attempts at something like location shots are relatively good, but this doesn't have a whole lot of punch to it.  Watch this and watch Portrait of a Lady on Fire and try to tell me this movie sings 10% as well as Sciamma's film does.  It also has a surprisingly annoying tendency to overlay modern techno/house music for quite a few scenes, even though all that does is muddy the waters instead of make the intent clearer or heighten the emotional stakes.  Some of that wouldn't have been fully out of place, but it's almost cacophonous compared to the rest of the score, so it's jarring when it's just some modern track, as opposed to the strains of a modern track reworked to fit a period piece.

Angels Crest - Yet another generally crap film saved by reasonably good acting.  Then again, it also has some bits at the beginning that are so overdone that they make you want to laugh instead of sympathize with the central character.  Plus, it's a Dead Baby Movie, and yet the emotional stakes are mostly just not there.  The only things that kind of salvage this are Lynn Collins, who is believably trashy and trashed throughout the film as the alcoholic mother, and the last half-hour or so where Ethan Dekker stops acting like someone in Barry Block's classes and starts behaving like he belongs in a movie in 2011.  If there's one other real positive to this, it's the way it puts the lie to the notion of "justice" in the case of something like this.  There's no punishing a parent who loses a kid, even when it might be their fault; the loss is the punishment, and everything else is just other people's bullshit.

That'll Do, Pig

Mystic Pizza - How is this a not-bad movie?  Jeez, I was expecting it to be lame 80s dreck, and yet it's actually...kind of well-written at times.  It's not particularly clever moment to moment, but at least it's authentic, in much the same way Stanley & Iris was or Gas, Food, Lodging happened to be.  This feels like it exists along the same continuum as movies like that, or even Mermaids, which came out a couple of years later, though this had the good sense to be set in present-day, rather than fig-leafing itself into the past.  It's also no wonder Julia Roberts is now Julia Roberts; you could tell it even here.  That said, it's funny to see her in "thicc" mode (for her, at least); to be honest, I kind of wish she'd continued to look like that.  But nevertheless, this actually holds up as a believable look at young women exploring their independence and their sexuality, even if it's a super-white look at those things and even if Dirty Dancing did the class warfare stuff far better.

One Maple-Frosted Donut

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - Kind of a rewatch, kind of a restart.  I watched the first 20 minutes for the 2010s project and this just didn't quite grab me.  Clearly I should have given it another 5 minutes.  This is easily the most Tarantino-esque movie that he didn't actually make; in fact, this has got the kind of style oozing out of it all the time that Robert Rodriguez probably wishes he could have had in the vastly overrated Sin City (the name of the town here is even "Bad City").  It also felt like the kind of film that drew a direct line to Julia Hart's Fast Color, which had almost exactly the same sensibilities when it came to music.  There's such a clear understanding here from Amirpour that the right emotional cue can take something plain and make it electric, or take the electric and make it unforgettable, such as the moment when our twisted couple first falls for each other, which is played with such simplicity and such intensity that the soundtrack just elevates it perfectly.  I think the David Lynch comparisons are a little overblown, because this is not dedicated enough to The Weird to really tap into that place, but it's definitely askew in its own way, and it's a way that works for the story being told.  I'm not sure this would have cracked my top 100 list, but it's definitely an NCAA tournament-ish, "last 4 in/first 4 out" type of movie.  Great stuff.

A Heart in Winter &&

This is a film I have a bit of a weird relationship with, so I thought that, for once, I should do something like a proper review and throw out my usual aversion for spoilers.  Plus, it's 30 years old; watch it, or don't.  I don't care.

I first saw this not too terribly long after it came out - likely sometime in 1993, once it hit HBO or whichever movie channel would carry it - and then hadn't watched it since.  It wasn't the first foreign movie I'd ever watched, but it was the first foreign film meant for adults where I paid real attention.  And it seemed truly different somehow, the first movie that showed other cultures saw the world completely differently from American filmmakers.  I ended up utterly baffled by it, except for the memorable scene where Emmanuelle Beart drunkenly speaks her mind.  I couldn't understand this character we'd been presented, but that was because I was maybe 13 at the time and I had nothing close to the emotional range to even begin to grasp what went on in the film.

It would be possible to blithely and stupidly state that the film asks, "What is love?" but it isn't the love triangle at the apparent center that makes any headway or gives any explanation.  The arc plot, as it were, is a response to that oversimplified question, rather than an answer.  Instead, the most crucial threads of the movie are told in extremes, both in its (emotionally) most delicate moments and its most explosive ones.  Camille is true to the description others give her, only accessing her true self when she's performing, and that's when Stephane is at his most vulnerable with her; and Stephane casually admits his attempts to keep people at a distance do him more harm than anyone else, which is hammered home with a wordless, terrible last look from Camille, who doesn't mourn in the least for her broken heart but instead senses his heavy burden of a life left unlived.  Those scenes are packed full of beauty and tension from a pair of sources: Beart's piercing eyes that sometimes feel like they dominate the whole movie; and the selected works of Ravel that serve as the fulcrum for the film's events.

On the other end of the spectrum are Stephane's old mentor, Lachaume, and his live-in maid/special lady Madame Amet.  They fight and bicker, they nearly come to blows, they break and throw things like some old Liz Taylor melodrama.  But they present a different kind of love than the obvious, sticky, matinee-idol notion; Lachaume is on his last legs, and despite his requests, Amet can't bring herself to euthanize him.  She picks him up and cleans his messes and runs herself ragged to keep him alive, but not that.  Stephane spies a few of their more indelicate moments, and he gets a glimpse of something else: that love at its purest has to be that thoroughly selfless, even at the end, or maybe especially at the end.  

It'd be easy to write off Stephane's character as clueless or even sociopathic; today, it'd be more likely he'd be considered an Ace or even on the spectrum to some degree, but it's clear he knows what love is.  And what's equally clear is his unwillingness to subject himself to its cruelest whims.  He makes something of a devil's bargain, to be free of that suffering, and the price is seeing the world pass by around him.  I couldn't remotely understand that as a kid, since I, like lots of teenagers, found myself in love with someone new about once a month, but having dealt with thirty years' worth of rollercoasters, depressions, and anxieties, there's a certain wisdom in checking out of the whole game altogether, even if it's a choice I couldn't, wouldn't make.

That's not to say this is some kind of super-classic - I don't think it's *that* good.  It feels like a product of its time in terms of how it's shot.  And it's more than a little icky in some ways, like how both of its male leads are a couple of old, squidgy wrinklebags, while Emmanuelle Beart will probably live forever in my mind as the pinnacle of the phrase 'fresh-faced ingenue'.  And no, knowing that she and Auteuil were married doesn't make that any more palatable (probably less, if anything).  But it's the rare film that doesn't give you easy answers or make choices for you.  And remarkably, that room to breathe means you have the room to change with it.

Edited by Contentious C

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night is one of the greatest vampire stories of the modern age along with Let the Right One In.

IIRC, it is also available for free viewing on Tubi and PlutoTV streaming services right now, so catch it before it goes away.

Edited by J.T.

I saw Mystic Pizza a few years after its release when I was on a "see every Julia Roberts" kick for some reason. I remember enjoying it though it's not exactly great. Just enjoyable entertainment. And, yeah, she looked great in it and clearly had "it". 

Couple new movies for me this weekend. Watched Uncharted and was surprised by how fun I found it. It's probably my favourite series of games, but I'm not super orthodox on "ooh this has to match perfectly or they've tarnished my memories" or anything like that. there was enough Uncharted stuff in it to make me happy, but if there is a sequel they need to add a lot more climbing. I generally do not like either Holland or Wahlberg, but thought they had good chemistry together. I don't really see Holland as Nate from the games, but his version was pretty good. A good movie to watch if you don't want to think at all. Sounds like an insult, but really isn't. I wish Antonio Banderas had been given more to do.

Also watched The Long Goodbye. I really loved this. I am woefully behind on prime-Gould. I think The Silent Partner is the only one of his pre-early 80s movies that I've seen. I love his version of Marlowe in this. The interrogation scene at the beginning is especially enjoyable, with him just batting away any question the cops have for him. Having just watched all of Columbo, this movie just adds to my desire to just hang out in 1970s Los Angeles and its fading glamour. Fun to see a mustachioed, uncredited Schwarzenegger pop up at the end. Big recommendation

• Like 2

I can never tell if last post of the page is good or bad.  Oh well.

Yeah.  That thing.  It's Day 386 (and counting) of Some Movie Bullshit, Feeding My Move Addiction Helps Break My Power Wash Simulator Addiction Edition.

Your Baby's Dirty Diaper

The Women - Hey look, a movie that truly lives up to its title.  Not a single frame of a dude in the whole film (unless you count the baby at the end, and I don't because it's not like there's proof of it being a boy).  Annnnnnnnnd it still manages to be 100000% ABOUT men.  Jesus.  Someone said The Dark Tower was like trying to jump a fence and failing spectacularly and impaling your balls on the fence; I think they got that idea from having seen this movie before.  The only saving grace, such as it is, is Annette Bening, who is pretty good.  And there are maybe two legitimately funny, well-written scenes that might push this into the AXE Body Spray category for some of you, but given the nature of its gimmick, I think writing a film that obsesses over the behavior of men is a big fat failure.  Also, Meg Ryan is terrible in it, but it's like a coin flip with her work anyway, so that's no huge surprise. 

AXE Body Spray Instead of Shower

21 Bridges - I wanted to like this more, just because I wonder how long it's going to be before we get someone so effortlessly talented as Chadwick Boseman to come through again, and hey, wouldn't you know, he's in this with another guy who makes it look easy, J.K. Simmons.  But aside from the two of them, this is about as rote, predictable copaganda as it gets, with a little bit of John Wick tone and David Ayer/Antoine Fuqua grittiness (Fuquaesque?  I guess that works), combined with a hint of Pelham if Tony Scott hadn't fucked up remaking that.  None of those familiar details do much to help how all-too-neatly-wrapped-up it ultimately is, or how vomit-inducing the notion of "the one good cop who finds the bad apples" still feels.  There is one decidedly eerie moment in the movie, though, where one asshole kneels on some dude's neck, and Boseman's character has to remind him not to do that.  Ah, 2019; we were so innocent then.

Gorky Park - This is one of those movies that has existed at the periphery of my brain basically since it came out, because I remember it being discussed but not actually seeing it, since I was far too young.  I just watched this as an "extra" film, given that I couldn't be sure I hadn't seen it, but it turns out I really hadn't seen it at all.  And it's...not exactly great stuff.  William Hurt's accent is all over the place, sounding a bit Australian one minute and almost Cockney the next.  Lee Marvin is stiff as a board except for the end, and the plot is all stuff you've seen before if you've watched any noir movies.  Over and over, the music tries to TELL YOU HOW IMPORTANT THIS SCENE IS. Maybe the book is better?  Or maybe this just made a splash because of the only genuinely redeemable and timeless thing about the story, in the way that it uses "Soviet" ineptitude and corruption to hold up a light to how badly American authorities bungle their cases.  I guess Joanna Pacula counts as a positive, too, but then again, Hurt gets a little early practice in this film for how he eventually treated Marlee Matlin, so that whole storyline ends up making little sense at all.

That'll Do, Pig

Eighth Grade - I'm really surprised this made as much of a splash as it did when it came out; excepting the fact that Bo Burnham, of all people, made it, most of the details of it made me think, "...And?"  I don't even have kids and I know kids are the fucking worst and behave this way all the time.  I think there may, once again, have been a bit of American Beauty syndrome at play here, where any parents dismayed by this were the willfully ignorant ones who didn't want to admit that their fucking brat kids are just like this, or that they themselves were even more insufferable fucking brats at that age.  Otherwise, I mean, it's fine, I guess?  It's fairly well done, although I really wanted to drive Kayla's dad for a long trip off a short pier because OH MY CHRIST MOST ANNOYING CREEPER EVER.  I think it also probably needed to do more to explore its most awful moment, particularly in terms of blowback from the larger group involved, especially when that scene plays like Kayla's friend knows what's about to happen.  It felt like it could have been longer and could have gone for broke a little more often.

Mean Girls - Yes, I'd never seen this before.  Now I have and...ehhhhhhh.  I mean, it's funny, sometimes, and at least you give a shit about the characters, but it feels like Tina Fey wrote all the best jokes for herself.  And I'm not sure there will ever be a more absurd fall from grace than Lindsay Lohan; going from this to...everything else?  Yikes.  I know that's an easy target, but holy shit, did the people in her life fail her miserably.  I felt sorry for her already, but now...woof.  This feels sometimes like there are some compelling echoes to other famous teen movies, especially Heathers, but it ends up veering a little much into fantasy, though not quite The Breakfast Club levels of, "Gee, these teenagers fully developed their frontal lobes and executive decision-making skills in just 6 short weeks!" bullshit.  It's on that spectrum, though, especially given how cutesy and inoffensive the ending is.  It may not sound like I like this much, and I suppose I don't, but I can also see how it filled a void for teen comedies when they were getting a bit thin.

St. Vincent - Hey, Bill Murray being an asshole; maybe he does movies like this every so often to get it out of his system, instead of being awful in his domestic life, where it can come back to haunt him.  But this isn't so much funny as it's a subtle pile of moments intended to make you feel mawkish and sentimental.  Sometimes that works, like with his wife, but other times it doesn't, such as the ending.  Not to mention that the overwhelming majority of "plot", such as it is, is entirely ignored by the time it wraps up.  There don't seem to be any real consequences or changes for anything, even when it comes to the relationships that get developed; it sort of ends where it starts.  I'm surprised this even got whispers of awards talk at the time; it's really...not remotely close to that kind of quality.  Naomi Watts is probably the highlight here, but that's like saying water gets things wet.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - Hey, this was kinda funny!  Sort of.  It's like if Blue Ruin were a comedy; I think that's the most succinct description I can give it.  It even has...that guy from Blue Ruin, whatever his name was, which I think is probably on purpose.  But this isn't terribly gripping or something that keeps your attention well; I think if anything, the frustrating events, especially early on, are so irksome that it's probably a little too easy to sympathize with Melanie Lynskey's character, to the point that I almost didn't want to expose myself to those moments.  The plot feels like some sort of goofy comedy country song Roger Miller might have written without ever publishing, or so I thought, and then I heard the last song played, and wouldn't you know, they based the name on a country song, all right.  But it's short, and it feels just vindicating enough, even if it's nothing terribly special.

Yeah, But...

Mississippi Masala - I think my only real issues with this are two-fold.  First, most of the male Indian side characters are cardboard cutouts or cheap stereotypes; maybe Mira Nair would argue otherwise, because she knows a thousand guys just like them (and I've met too many of them, too), but you never see them as anything other than stooges or obstacles or plot devices, instead of people.  And the second, far less noticeable issue, is that this is only sometimes compelling filmmaking: some of the early landscape shots are *gorgeous*, and once it moves to America, the film becomes considerably more drab.  I suppose you could argue that's the point, since it reflects the feelings of our subjects, though.  The rest of this is just really, really good.  It's hardly Denzel's best role, but it's just another one you toss on the pile and say, "Yeah, that dude's as solid as they come."  Charles Dutton will make your skin crawl every time he's on the screen, and it's too bad Sarita Choudhury never really got to carry anything else this big again (though apparently that was by design).  But the real standout here is Roshan Seth; he comes off quite a bit like his dipshit relatives on a number of occasions, but you always get the sense that he can't get out of the way of his own foolishness, unlike the others who are just simply fools. 

One Maple-Frosted Donut

Marriage Story - I got about 20 minutes into this before the last time I shelved Netflix, but I decided to finish it off. I think this just squeeeeeeeaks its way into this category because the acting is wonderful, and the story is authentic and well-written and full of moments that are simultaneously uplifting and anguishing.  I do, however, have a bit of a problem with the "Oh, this is so pretentious" criticism.  What movie did you watch?  The first shot - the first goddamn shot after the titles - is Scarlett's face in that on-stage, oh-so-serious, Bergmanesque pose: Baumbach is telling you it's OK to laugh at how pretentious these people are!  You are in on the joke.  He is in on the joke.  That's the joke!  Like, how did so many people miss that?  During the "observer" dinner scene, there's a damn Whole Foods bag in a shot for about 30 seconds!  Yeesh!  Pick up on the details, people.  Of course they're pretentious, because they're both selfish idiots who don't realize that their problems are entirely self-created and that millions of other people don't have the resources to fly across the country or fight custody battles or change careers at a whim.  That's basically the whole journey here: realizing how foolish and self-destructive and solipsistic and pointless their stubbornness and pettiness and grudge-holding ultimately is.  The only positive of that is their growth, and we see that in a believable pair of performances.  I'm not sure this would have made my 2010s list; it's probably another one of those "just off" picks, and it's definitely not the best thing that year, but it's well worth a watch, even if it does drag in the middle.  This means you, @John from Cincinnati: get past that section because that's when all the good stuff starts hitting!

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2